Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

A friend of mine told me tonight that there are some 6100 series trailers sitting under Roosevelt Rd. at 14th St. If UP have received all their new trailer cars, it appears now that all remaining new cars are heading to the BNSF/HC/SWS pool.

by metraRI

The 6100's might not be staying.....they might be headed for RI because RI will need 5 replacements for tomorrows commute. I should be able to go out tomorrow and see what is being used in place of 8570, 8548, 409, etc.

The last time around, three 8500's, a 7400, and 7300 from MILW were sent.

by MetraBNSF

6184-6186 are the new trailers at 14th St.

8607 and 8608 remain to be delivered. While on BNSF today, I rode in 8606 to/from Chicago.

I think 7488 was the car which had some of its windows knocked out so passengers could escape.

by AmtrakFan

Could Metra send some 8200's and 8400's from the BN? I think a Passenger died in 7488.

by AMTK84

As I have heard it, 5 new cars were delivered to Western Avenue on Friday. My guess is if they're going in order 6187-6189 and 8607 and 08. From what I hear, 8534 and 422 went to RI along with other cars.

by metraRI

Once again Metra sent cars from MILW to be used on RI, like AMTK84 said. I was not able to catch all the numbers but 8466 stuck out the most. 8466 was 2nd followed by 3 other 8500's from MILW.

That makes me wonder where the 6100's at 14th Street are going to be used.

by AmtrakFan

Question Kyle how many 6100's are left to be delieverd and where could they go?

by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:Once again Metra sent cars from MILW to be used on RI, like AMTK84 said. I was not able to catch all the numbers but 8466 stuck out the most. 8466 was 2nd followed by 3 other 8500's from MILW.

That makes me wonder where the 6100's at 14th Street are going to be used.
Kyle,
My Guess is either for Expanded SWS service or for the BN to dump some of the 7400's to the SWS.

by metraRI

I'm not exactly sure what the last 6100 will be. I have read that Metra has ordered 320+ cars versus exactly 300, so I don't know what is right. All I know is that they all will be here by October. SWS and NCS need additional cars for new consists, but I bet they wont be used for that purpose.
Last edited by metraRI on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:I'm not exactly sure where the 6100's will end. I have read that Metra has ordered 320 something new cars in a recent railroad magazine. SWS and NCS need additional cars for new consists, but I bet they wont be used for that purpose.
I did see that as well my guess is this
6100's left to go to the BN 7400's and 7200's to the SWS.
The new cars go to the BN to dump the remaning 700's and for new trains on the HC and SWS.

by metrarider

MetraBNSF wrote:A friend of mine told me tonight that there are some 6100 series trailers sitting under Roosevelt Rd. at 14th St. If UP have received all their new trailer cars, it appears now that all remaining new cars are heading to the BNSF/HC/SWS pool.
There's still at least a couple of the old smoothside cars on the UP (just saw one yesterday), so the UP must be due a few more cars to replace the remainder of the smoothsides.

by MetraBNSF

AMTK84 wrote:As I have heard it, 5 new cars were delivered to Western Avenue on Friday. My guess is if they're going in order 6187-6189 and 8607 and 08. From what I hear, 8534 and 422 went to RI along with other cars.
So deliveries of the cab cars are complete and all that's remaining are the trailer cars?
metraRI wrote:I'm not exactly sure what the last 6100 will be. I have read that Metra has ordered 320+ cars versus exactly 300, so I don't know what is right. All I know is that they all will be here by October. SWS and NCS need additional cars for new consists, but I bet they wont be used for that purpose.
I think Metra ordered 108 cab cars and 192 trailers for the diesel lines. The 20+ extra cars might be the new highliners for the electric district.
Last edited by MetraBNSF on Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MetraBNSF

AmtrakFan wrote:I did see that as well my guess is this
6100's left to go to the BN 7400's and 7200's to the SWS.
The new cars go to the BN to dump the remaning 700's and for new trains on the HC and SWS.
Not to go off-topic, but I wonder how many of the 700's have been retired and have been rehabbed? Most of the 750 series have been rehabbed. I think the 760's are being worked on now. Yesterday, I saw 777, newly rehabbed at 14th St. Most of 700-749 have been or will be retired, although a few remain in service. And the cabs (798 and higher) are being used as trailers.

by metraRI

MetraBNSF wrote:I think Metra ordered 108 cab cars and 192 trailers for the diesel lines. The 20+ extra cars might be the new highliners for the electric district.
Thats Right! I keep forgetting about those new MED cars, there has not been much talk about them lately.

by MetraBNSF

The 6100's that were sitting at 14th St. a few weeks ago are now in service. Last night I saw 6186 positioned two cars back from the loco out in Naperville.