Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Great story,Clem. No one can tell that one better. What year did this happen? Thanx-MACTRAXX

by Steel Wheel

Nova55 wrote:
Steel Wheel wrote:
LirrConductor wrote:2004 circus train video? I would like to see that. Please give me the info. i was the Conductor that year and would love to have the video!
Here you go Enjoy. I had to do a lot of compression because it was very large (dv) but its still came out ok maybe you will see yourself. If you listen closely near the end you can hear the Tigers getting restless.

http://www.proto1.net/gc/circus%20video%20small.wmv
Nice Vid!!
Thanks

by Clem

Mac,

Revealing the year would implicate the guilty. It was within the past 15 years...

Clem

by RPM2Night

I think I remember seeing that car still in the train, when it was parked on the secondary track. No major damage, just a broken (or burned) out window and soot marks from the window. Or was that a different incident?

by tushykushy

I'm getting word from a reliable source that the circus train may not run until Tuesday? Can anyone confirm this?

by ajt

NS HC90 with Ringling on the move at Croxton 845am.

by pgengler

tushykushy wrote:I'm getting word from a reliable source that the circus train may not run until Tuesday? Can anyone confirm this?
Someone over in the circus train topic in the NJ Railfan forum just reported that the circus train left Croxton Yard about fifteen minutes ago; presumably, this means it's journey to the island has begun.

by robertwa

Will the circus train be passing through Penn Station? If so, please post the approximate time.

by pgengler

robertwa wrote:Will the circus train be passing through Penn Station? If so, please post the approximate time.
It does pass through Penn (NS hands the train to Amtrak, who brings it through the tunnels and Penn and then hands it off to the LIRR). The train doesn't really have a fixed schedule, but Clem posted earlier in the thread that it would reach Harold at around 11, so it would probably pass through Penn Station sometime between 10 and 11.

by RPM2Night

What kind of power does Amtrak use to move the circus train? I've never actually been able to see this move happening. Thanks

by robertwa

Since I work in Penn Plaza, I'll have to walk downstairs and take a look!

by RPM2Night

yeah definitely lol. Did you bring your camera to work today? 8-)

by robertwa

Yes - I always have my camera! But do I dare use it on the track level at Penn Station?

by Lirr168

RPM2Night wrote:What kind of power does Amtrak use to move the circus train? I've never actually been able to see this move happening. Thanks
This is simply a guess on my part, but I would have to say Gennies because the they can operate off the third rail. I suppose the AEM-7's could be used also, but I am inclined to say that they lack the raw power necessary to get such a big train moving; it would be quite a sight to see one of those pulling freight though!

by Clem

The engines are waiting at Harold now at 11 AM. The train should be passing through Penn Station any time now.