Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#872772  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:This just in! I have reports of F Units in Gang Mills Yard today for WCOR. Tommy Myles said they were trying to get some to run a second passenger train and try out of Corning. When the revenue rolls for frac sand, excursions and equipment benefit. I'm heading over now to see what's up.

Its been (almost) a week..and no details? :(
F-units?? :P anyone? :P

thanks,
Scot
 #890810  by Jeremy Zella

Does the possibility exist that the W&C would re-establish the connection to the south? Meaning lay rail back down to, I believe, Williamsport? Would this serve as a profitable option for the line? Open up new markets or more traffic?

Jeremy
 #890873  by K4Pacific

Nope. Do I really need to cite the reasons?
 #890931  by Matt Langworthy

Jeremy Zella wrote:Does the possibility exist that the W&C would re-establish the connection to the south? Meaning lay rail back down to, I believe, Williamsport? Would this serve as a profitable option for the line? Open up new markets or more traffic?
This will never happen, for the following reasons:

A. The W&C already has a viable connection to a Class 1 RR (Norfolk Southern) at Gang Mills. There is no need to invest in another connection.

B. The rails-to-trails lobby is very, very strong at both the state and federal level. The former NYC ROW is now a trail through a very scenic river valley which is known as the Grand Canyon of The East. The rail-to-trails lobby will move heaven and earth to keep that trail in place.

C. Another RR operator is trying to relay rail to the west of Williamsport (in the Clearfield area, I think) and they are encoutering strong NIMBY resistance. There is a 100% chance that NIMBYs would fight relaying rail on the ROW, even though it was an active rail line until the late '80s.

D. The Lycoming Valley RR, a competitor, already dominates the frac sand busines in the Williamsport area.

E. If NS had felt there was sufficient north-south traffic in Pennsylvania, they would have retained the Buffalo Line. Instead, some of that route has been leased out in sections resectively to the B&P, WNYP and the Nittany & Bald Eagle (which is affiliated with the Lycoming Valley RR) for the trickle that remains. Those portions of the Buffalo Line have been removed from the NS system map. There is no traffic for WCOR to gain.

IOW, new rails on the old ROW won't happen. Sad but true...
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #890935  by joshuahouse

Also the cost, even without considering the decades it would be in court, would be obscene, with little to no return on investment. That being said I shouldn't be to critical about asking the question, I believe I asked it myself a decade ago on this forum.
 #891144  by Jeremy Zella

I would like for reasons to be sited, I'm not from the area and I'm just curious about PA lines. Who is the RR trying to lay rail west of Williamsport?
 #891225  by Matt Langworthy

Jeremy Zella wrote:I would like for reasons to be sited, I'm not from the area and I'm just curious about PA lines. Who is the RR trying to lay rail west of Williamsport?
No problem. I figured you weren't from the area, so I gave you all the gory details (as I understand them).

IIRC, RJ Corman is trying to relay rail on an old NYC ROW out in the Clearfield area.
 #892094  by K4Pacific

TC/WCOR is working on a second train set for this year and is going to make another valient attempt at a Corning Departure south.
 #914386  by mariondivfan

Can anyone tell me if the W&C are still operating on Mondays and Thursdays to Gang Mills as they have been - I'm out of OH planning a trip up there and hope that their operating plan hasn't changed since last Fall...Thanks
 #914786  by K4Pacific

Still Mondays and Thursday mornings. However, the nat gas season is in full swing so there are extras. Great Shots. Down there along Hammond Lake etc. NS and B&H interchange in Painted Post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mid afternoon. Coopers Plains Mill St. Is a great catch of Alcos at 25.