Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#779576  by Mr.S

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this,if not could the Admin. move it to the correct forum.

I happened to notice on rrpicturesarchives.net that the Wellsboro and Corning RR are going to be receiving SD40-2s which are EX- Q.N.S.&L. RR SD40-2's and still are in Q.N.S.&L. RR paint, I would like to know if this is a fact ? Secondly, aren't these 3,000 H.P. locomotives kind of overkill for a shortline RR like the W.& C.RR ?
 #779647  by nydepot

From Canadian Railway Observations:

"Today's late breaking news is the Arrival of QNS&L SD 40-3's 307, 302, 301 and 309 at CN's MacMillan Yard on January 25th, on M 30921 25 at 1851 behind IC 2715, CN 8009 and 2451. These QNSL SD 40-3's are billed from Mont Joli, PQ to Hamilton, ON, shipper is The Andersons Inc and the Consignee is Railcare Inc.

Unlike the previous group of QNSL SD 40-2/3's that went to Chicago under the JLCX reporting marks for scrapping back in April of 2007, those unit numbers for those that keep track were QNSL 259, 306, 305, 304, 261, 308 and 303.

Included are four photo's taken early on January 26th of QNSL 307, 302, 301 and 309, all four units seem to be reasonably intact with the exception of missing headlight lamps on 307 and 309 from what i was able to see. http://www.canadianrailwayobservations. ... 0/02/q.htm"
 #779678  by scottychaos

wow..very interesting!

but I suspect these are not actually destined for the Wellsboro & Corning..
wouldnt reporting marks normally go on the side of the cab? not the long hood?
and the gap in WC (space) OR suggests it might mean something else..

but it might be Wellsboro & Corning!
it seems no one knows for sure yet..
it will be interesting to find out!

but right now I suspect that WC OR means something else..
let the googling commence! ;)

Scot
 #779778  by Flat-Wheeler

I little birdie told me Wellsboro & Corning is about to start handling 45-60 car unit trains of "frac sand" through the summer. For the Marcellus Shale project, and involving Seda-Cog. Sounds as if it's gas or oil drilling related. That's all I know.
 #779864  by nydepot

Certainly is a possibility. The Towanda-Monroeton was is being run by the Reading & Northern company for the same purpose.
Flat-Wheeler wrote:I little birdie told me Wellsboro & Corning is about to start handling 45-60 car unit trains of "frac sand" through the summer. For the Marcellus Shale project, and involving Seda-Cog. Sounds as if it's gas or oil drilling related. That's all I know.
 #780036  by lvrr325

Most of the line should be able to handle SD40-2s, I'm sure it saw plenty when it was still a through route for Conrail.

SD40-2s tend to be relatively cheap to buy used because of their size and because so many are out there, their market price is a lot less than say a GP40. If they have a potential of large trains coming it would make sense to buy a few. Those old Alcos wouldn't be able to handle it for long -

The "WC OR" replaces the original QNS&L lettering and the space may just be to balance it out better. I never thought that was a bad looking paint scheme, hopefully they'll keep it. Anyone have any idea how they'll be routed out of Hamilton? Years ago when the QNS&L got new units they went via Syracuse and the Montreal Secondary -
 #780107  by Matt Langworthy

Flat-Wheeler wrote:I little birdie told me Wellsboro & Corning is about to start handling 45-60 car unit trains of "frac sand" through the summer. For the Marcellus Shale project, and involving Seda-Cog. Sounds as if it's gas or oil drilling related. That's all I know.
I've read some reports where the Myles Group is already involved with a frac sand transloading facilty on the R&N (in Coxton Yard), so this move on the W&C makes sense IMO.
 #780109  by Matt Langworthy

lvrr325 wrote:Most of the line should be able to handle SD40-2s, I'm sure it saw plenty when it was still a through route for Conrail.

SD40-2s tend to be relatively cheap to buy used because of their size and because so many are out there, their market price is a lot less than say a GP40. If they have a potential of large trains coming it would make sense to buy a few. Those old Alcos wouldn't be able to handle it for long -
Two of the Alcos are 1000 HP and the RS3U is rated for 2000 HP so I don't think they candle 45-60 car unit trains at all. Will the W&C keep the Alcos for excursions or will they be sold?
 #780158  by Flat-Wheeler

I don't know that they run excursions down there anymore, since the Tioga was sold off. Perhaps I'm wrong, but last I recall it was over with when Tioga pulled out.
 #780207  by scottychaos

Tioga Central never "pulled out"..
They are still doing excursions..

it happened like this:

Originally the Tioga Central and the Wellsboro & Corning were seperate, unrelated railroads, that shared the same track.
Tioga Central was "excursion only" and W&C was "Freight Only"

Tioga Central had been its own independant operation since 1984, when it started in Owego, NY.
it moved to Wellsboro in 1994.

The Wellsboro & Corning was part of the North Shore system.

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... ntral.html

In 2007, both railroads were bought by "the Miles Group"..
now they share the same ownership, but have kept their seperate names..
Tioga Central still does excursions, W&C still does freight,
but they now share common ownership and motive power..the Alcos..
(The W&C EMD SW8 was not part of the sale, and returned to the North Shore.)

http://www.wellsboroandcorningrailroad.com/
http://www.tiogacentral.com/

hope that helps! :)

concerning the Reading & Northen in Coxton yard..
what does this have to do with W&C??
I dont see how they are related..
or is the R&N operation just being used as an example of what might happen with the W&C?

thanks,
Scot