Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#813012  by Matt Langworthy

sallenparks wrote:Everyone just came back from down on the WCOR.SD40-2's 307 &309 brought 20 sand cars in.RS3'u 506 & S2 14 took a passenger train out and back.
How does WCOR handle the operations on the days when both freight and excursion trains are running? Do they use the same crew for each train?
 #813071  by sallenparks

Matt it was two different crews there's a small portion of track next to a company up from Wellsboro Jct I don't remember the name of and the passenger ran around.They are putting in two sightings on the line but I don't know where they haven't started yet.Most passenger trains run on the weekend but this was on a Thursday but I think it was a private charter.
 #813081  by Matt Langworthy

sallenparks wrote:Matt it was two different crews there's a small portion of track next to a company up from Wellsboro Jct I don't remember the name of and the passenger ran around.They are putting in two sightings on the line but I don't know where they haven't started yet.Most passenger trains run on the weekend but this was on a Thursday but I think it was a private charter.
Thanks for the information. Is Thursday a normal day for WCOR freight operations?
 #813143  by Matt Langworthy

sallenparks wrote:For right now is seems Monday and Thursday for getting the sand for the transfer to trucks but can change on a dime Short line and all.At least if I remember it's Monday Thursday definitely.
i can appreciate how shortline operations can change on short notice (as I grew up watching the original B&H mainline), but your input certainly helps. Thanks again.
 #814277  by K4Pacific

Start at Wellsboro Jct. first thing in the morning, or Gang Mills at ten or eleven a.m. The B&H/LAL interchanges at noon or so in Painted Post on Mondays too.
 #870964  by K4Pacific

This just in! I have reports of F Units in Gang Mills Yard today for WCOR. Tommy Myles said they were trying to get some to run a second passenger train and try out of Corning. When the revenue rolls for frac sand, excursions and equipment benefit. I'm heading over now to see what's up.
 #871400  by Matt Langworthy

joshuahouse wrote:Woah, this will be interesting. I've never actually seen an F unit in passenger service.
The Erie RR used some F3s in passenger service back in the '50s... but I can't recall any passenger operation in upstate NY using Fs during my lifetime.