Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#914865  by sallenparks

Like K4 said Mondays&Thursdays still.Coming home can take a couple hours as GangMills is full most of the time it seems.I don't know if the F's are there, they may have been in the shop I was their Thursday.The new WYE is in place at Wellsboro Jct so they can WYE the trains now mainly the passenger when that starts.The yard in Wellsboro Jct. has more track for sand cars.Also Two new cabooses a PRR (in PRR paint) not the Conrail blue one & a B&O one.
 #919901  by K4Pacific

Just a nice sized sand flea train southbound Thursday afternoon. Great to see shiny rails at Mulholland Rd. crossing. The two SD40-2s were working nice with about 60 cars - however crawling. Apparently a couple weeks ago they went on the ground over turning a good section of rail effectively closing the line for a few days until repairs were made. The old sectional rail portion in NYS is in a rather decrepit state.

However, in good news, Town of Erwin and WCOR are working to gether to run Frack Water Trains from Erwin next to Mullholland Rd. to Wellsboro. Instead of trucks, they're going rail for the immense amounts of water needed to Frack. The water will come out of the Tioga River near Mulholland Rd. So besides MOnday and Thursday sand trains - there will be Frack Water Trains. Work will begin on a siding soon an is approved by the Town of Erwin.
 #919923  by toolmaker

sallenparks wrote:Like K4 said Mondays&Thursdays still.Coming home can take a couple hours as GangMills is full most of the time it seems.I don't know if the F's are there, they may have been in the shop I was their Thursday.The new WYE is in place at Wellsboro Jct so they can WYE the trains now mainly the passenger when that starts.The yard in Wellsboro Jct. has more track for sand cars.Also Two new cabooses a PRR (in PRR paint) not the Conrail blue one & a B&O one.
I was in the area on business yesterday and saw the Y for the first time. Right now they have passenger cars stored on 1 leg and freight cars on the other side. Shouldn't it cross rt. 287 to have enough effective track to change directions?

Gary
 #923103  by Matt Langworthy

Today's edition of the Corning Leader is reporting that the Wellsboro & Corning will be adding more traffic soon:
Painted Post, N.Y. - The former Ingersoll-Rand foundry site in Painted Post could soon be developed into a facility for railroad tank cars and tanker trucks to fill up with water for Pennsylvania’s natural gas drilling boom.

Tom Myles – a top executive with The Myles Group, which owns the Wellsboro and Corning Railroad – recently presented plans to Painted Post’s planning board to build a rail siding, water storage tank and equipment to fill up tank cars on his company’s freight line.
The article is reporting that WCOR has received permission from the gov't agency overseeing the watershed to draw up to 500,000 gallons per day intially. That apparently equates to 22 tank cars. Eventually, the RR will be able to double that capacity to 1 million gallons per day. I like the idea of more gas-related traffic moving by rail, because I could (hopefully) photograph it. I haven't heard of a schedule for the unit water train yet so any information on that would be welcome.

The article also reports another company has permission to draw 500,000 gallons of water per day in the Painted Post area to be shipped by truck and possibly rail, but there is no mention of who the company is or which RR(s) will haul the water.

***edited for spelling***
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #923274  by K4Pacific

That water will be drawn from the Tioga at Mullholland Rd. I would talk to Dan Eagan at B&H/LAL about their plans for the other company on their trackage rights up near Coopers Plains off the Cohocton which I can neither confirm nor deny at this time. It's going to get interesting.
 #924169  by K4Pacific

I was by WCOR today at their facility. It's packed with frac sand cars and other nat gas related supplies. It looks like a huge train tomorrow for Gang Mills. But first they have to clear the "main" to take the empties up. There is a large cut of sand loads backed into the old NYC Corning Industrial for the trip south tomorrow.
 #928349  by K4Pacific

8am and arrival at around 11am at Gang Mills. Pretty much 10 mph in NY and sectional rail. 25 or less on the welded portions.
 #938167  by K4Pacific

Still no run to Corning. NS is clogged and the track on the WC need a lot of work now on the NY side after deferred maintenance. I was with Tom Myles Sr. Two weeks ago. Sand is way up and the new transload just to the north is cool.
 #975024  by K4Pacific

Clearing brush and preparing ROW has begun at Mulholland Rd., for the proposed water shuttle trains to Wellsboro. Here we go.
 #988302  by thebigham

sallenparks wrote:Still no F's was there Thursday.
They supposedly have been interchanged to go to Silcott (?) for repairs or rebuilding and then to the W&C.