Railroad Forums 

• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#447744  by duey

Charlie7 wrote:The BCL was once the freight and passenger main line of the Erie Railroad. My Dad tells me of the trains that come through Garfield back in the day. The PVL was always a sleepy branch line, so the communities don't have a historic memory of greater levels of traffic. This doesn't give the NIMBY's an excuse, it just shows their lack of imagination.
And it doesn't help that by the early to mid 70's service on thePVL was down to just a few trains in each direction. While its true that the amount of service has gradually increased over the past 30 years, this is a pretty drastic jump. It's going to shock a lot of those NIMBYs to see trains coming through (in different directions!) off-peak and on the weekends.

#447877  by ryanov

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Exactly, that's my point. It's about catering to Jersey as well as most of the stops on the PVL are in New Jersey. It's certainly a start for the service. There's room for improvement, but I will take it. The service is going to do well, no matter what.
You are not understanding me properly. There is no way to "cater to Jersey," by which I think you mean "stop the trains at most stops in NJ." The tracks that were able to be built cannot sustain stops like that -- they need to move through the single tracked areas swiftly. THAT is the reason for the semi-express service, not demands from NY State.

#447927  by finsuburbia

ryanov wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Exactly, that's my point. It's about catering to Jersey as well as most of the stops on the PVL are in New Jersey. It's certainly a start for the service. There's room for improvement, but I will take it. The service is going to do well, no matter what.
You are not understanding me properly. There is no way to "cater to Jersey," by which I think you mean "stop the trains at most stops in NJ." The tracks that were able to be built cannot sustain stops like that -- they need to move through the single tracked areas swiftly. THAT is the reason for the semi-express service, not demands from NY State.
Moreover, Metro North contributed a large chunk of change to the project.

#450493  by northjerseybuff

I passed over the temple ave crossing in Hackensack last night by the target..looks like the signals have been turned for hookup..this weekend? I would think so as there are only a few more left..I'll update tomorrow or sunday..but on NJT's past performance this indicates the signals are readied to be fired up!

#450550  by ff4405

Anyone able to give us a sneak peak at the new schedule?

#450557  by Raritan Express

Raritan Express wrote:
andy wrote:Someone asked about a draft schedule in a locked thread... I uploaded it to mediafire (approx 3.25 megs).

http://www.mediafire.com/?djxnzineddt

Rumor has it that 1640 will not be added to the final schedule, though. I guess we will eventually see when the schedules come out.
Draft schedule posted by andy.
Page 17 of this thread.

#450574  by ff4405

Raritan Express wrote:
Raritan Express wrote:
andy wrote:Someone asked about a draft schedule in a locked thread... I uploaded it to mediafire (approx 3.25 megs).

http://www.mediafire.com/?djxnzineddt

Rumor has it that 1640 will not be added to the final schedule, though. I guess we will eventually see when the schedules come out.
Draft schedule posted by andy.
Page 17 of this thread.
Had that, wanted to see if there was anything finalized for October

#451599  by duey

Does anyone know when the schedule will be coming out?

#451681  by Steve F45

soon, but the signals at the hackensack siding are not up and running yet well they weren't monday morning. Crews having been working everyday including weekends in that area.

26 more days till service begins.

#451766  by northjerseybuff

I guess the crews needed a weekend off. they do deserve it with all the work they've been doing. I would say this weekend they fire em up

#453079  by northjerseybuff

Signals are now on in Hackensack!! Looks like this project is just about complete! Good job NJT and all the guys who worked on this job. Can't wait for the benefits of this new service. I for one live in Maywood and has a family relative who lives close to the river edge station. So that is why I was somewhat interested in this from day 1.

#453186  by Steve F45

left work around 7am saturday and drove over temple ave all the new signals were lit up red already. was nice to see.

#454603  by northjerseybuff

now that all the sidings are up and running and all new interlockings in place..are ALL of the old signals turned off?

#454635  by Rail Boy

A press release was on the NJT Website today about the expanded service. They mentioned all of the communitues welcoming the service - including Montvale.
“The introduction of weekend trains to Montvale opens up new choices for leisure travel, and our residents are looking forward to taking advantage of the increased level of service,” said Montvale Mayor George B. Zeller.
Wasn't Montvale against the increased rail traffic in the first place, or did they just not want a siding built in their boro, thus to reek the benefit without a sacrifice?