Railroad Forums 

• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#456563  by ff4405

Heard that another siding is currently being constructed west of Emerson Station.... Any truth to that?

#456658  by finsuburbia

ff4405 wrote:Heard that another siding is currently being constructed west of Emerson Station.... Any truth to that?
I did not see anything last time I was on it two weeks ago. Where did you hear this rumor?

#456673  by ff4405

Local PD

#456713  by finsuburbia

ff4405 wrote:Local PD
Hmm... was it Emerson Police? Are you sure they weren't just talking about the sidings in general (perhaps the Nanuet siding) or did they specifically refer to an additional siding in the Emerson area?

Do any regular PVL commuters have any insight? I only use it occasionally.

#456892  by Steve F45

why would they wait till now? Maybe they're replacing a few crossings?

i'll check it out tomorrow, going to be up in that area for some photography.

#456939  by gravelyfan

Probably just rebuilding the Kuiken Brothers Lumberyard switch in Emerson; that is the only freight customer beyond Teterboro, NS goes up there maybe once a week.

#457004  by duey

I've been watching this each day as I go home. I looks like drainage-related work to me (large pipes being installed and then backfilled over).

#457266  by Steve F45

I drove up there today, there was no indication of anykind of track work near emerson station. By westwood they were doing some minor electrical work and looked like welding in a new piece of rail.

#458031  by northjerseybuff

1 week to go! I noticed a new radio antenna was installed in North Hackensack near the south end of the new siding. Easily visible by the crossing near the Target. Can't wait for next Sunday. First time in 4 decades for weekend service

#458454  by andy

NJ Transit ran a special train for VIPs today. Their official news release:
http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... SE_ID=2371

(I'm actually shocked someone was working on the weekend to release it!)
As part of NJ TRANSIT’s efforts to promote the enhanced service, Sarles announced a "Bring Friends and Family" special offer to promote the new weekend service to Bergen County residents. During the first two weekends of December (Dec. 1 and 2 and Dec. 8 and 9), monthly passholders can bring a friend for free and single-ticket purchasers will get a second ticket free.
"River Edge hosts a NJ TRANSIT station on the Pascack Valley Line, so we fully understand how important public transportation is to our lives and how it helps keep us connected to the people and places we care about," River Edge Mayor Margaret Falahee Watkins said.
Wasn't River Edge against the expansion? Or was that just Emerson/Oradell?

And I highly doubt they are building another siding by Emerson. It wouldn't make sense. As several have said, the time has passed, and we'll have to make do with what we have.

#458476  by njtmnrrbuff

I believe Oradell was one of the towns, really against the service. That's why for now, there will be no siding. Hopefully, eventually, a siding will be built in the Oradell area.
If the weather cooperates next Sun, and I'm available, I will be fanning the line. I will be taking pix at Pearl River, Westwood, and possibly other places along the line.

#458489  by Steve F45

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I believe Oradell was one of the towns, really against the service. That's why for now, there will be no siding. Hopefully, eventually, a siding will be built in the Oradell area.
If the weather cooperates next Sun, and I'm available, I will be fanning the line. I will be taking pix at Pearl River, Westwood, and possibly other places along the line.
i'll be there too. Im sure there will be alot of people checking it out. Probably be alot of us waiting up in spring valley for the return train.

#458492  by andy

I can't railfan next Sunday, but I'll probably be taking pictures at Nanuet Station for part of the day.

#458502  by Steve F45

i'll be doing both, pics and taking the trip.

I forgot to add this, Im not sure if it was NJT or someone else but they installed a new traffic signal at the malcome ave crossing on the hasbrouk heights/teterboro border. Its about time, i dont know how many times i've seen cars stopped on the tracks waiting for the light when the gates have come down. NJTPD used to sit in the gas station and wait for these people to do so and then nab them.

#458530  by firthorfifth06

blast my work schedule anyway :-\. i'll be heading up the friday following the schedule change (11/2)