• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by SecaucusJunction

There will be some people who use this new service, but I dont think it will "take off". When the Main & Bergen Lines had similar weekend/off peak service, there were very few riders. The people came more when service was made hourly and even better in some cases. If people want flexibility, they will continue to drive over to the Main/Bergen or take the bus to NYC.

by Raritan Express

Is one of those towns that was afraid that the sidings would bring more frieght traffic in the 11 or so mile gap?

by finsuburbia

So any idea if there is a possibility to add the sidings in the not too distant future if the NIMBYs change their minds?

by SecaucusJunction

I do like how NJT has pretty much told those towns where they can shove their complaints by not stopping off peak trains there. Good for them!

by Raritan Express

A siding in Hillsdale or Park Ridge would probably be useful.

by finsuburbia

Raritan Express wrote:A siding in Hillsdale or Park Ridge would probably be useful.
There was supposed to be one in Oradell and one in Montvale but those towns plus the towns in between sued to stop them from being constructed.
SecaucusJunction wrote: I do like how NJT has pretty much told those towns where they can shove their complaints by not stopping off peak trains there. Good for them!
It makes sense. If there is a delay, you don't want to have to worry about trains making stops on that long section of single track.

by Steve F45

the north hackensack siding is in hackensack, it behind my police dept i work for. Next one is teterboro and then woodridge all the way east to the pvl/bcl junction.

That weekend schedule looks pretty dam good to me. Morning service is hourly, pm is 2 hours. And thats for hoboken bound. Spring Valley bound is every 2 hours from 8am till 2pm, and from 2pm its hourly.

Weekday service is still good, but that 6 hour gap e/b does suck. Its the only gap that im sure will be filled once service is started and hopefully successful.

by njtmnrrbuff

Well, I'm quite happy with the schedules. Yes, it would be nice for reverse peak service during the rush hour coming back. Twelve miles without a siding isn't the best idea either. Sorry NIMBY's of Oradell, and the other neighboring towns along the PVL, but there is a lot that is to be missed from an additional siding. At least, customers along the PVL, have the pleasure of heading into the city basically anytime, minus the afternoon peak. There is no reason why they can't run a reverse peak train during the p.m. rush. However, if that wants to be done, a fourth siding would probably have to be built.

by Charlie7

It is very frustrating for someone like me, who lives close to the PVL to see what the politicians in these towns have done. NJT wanted to add the extra two sidings. The Pascack Valley politicos fought them, and NJT decided to run the trains through anyway. Even if everyone had a change of heart, after all of the years needed to get a project like this approved and funded, the missing sidings are never coming to this line. That train left the station, and its not coming back

by njtmnrrbuff

Oh, I also believe that the weekday schedule for the stops between N. Hackensack, and Montvale should have service for all of the trains. The PVL mostly stops in Jersey, not NY State. If the folk want better express service, they should drive to the Main and Bergen County Line. Might be tough to find a seat though on the trains that start out on Port Jervis. The extra two sidings will make a difference. The service would be a bit more like the Gladstone during the off peak and weekend.

by ryanov

They aren't stopping there because there are no sidings there (because those towns didn't want them). It's not about catering to NY state.

Unfortunate that the service ends so early -- no trains in either direction as late as they are on other lines. But hey, it's a start.

by njtmnrrbuff

Exactly, that's my point. It's about catering to Jersey as well as most of the stops on the PVL are in New Jersey. It's certainly a start for the service. There's room for improvement, but I will take it. The service is going to do well, no matter what.

by finsuburbia

Charlie7 wrote:It is very frustrating for someone like me, who lives close to the PVL to see what the politicians in these towns have done. NJT wanted to add the extra two sidings. The Pascack Valley politicos fought them, and NJT decided to run the trains through anyway. Even if everyone had a change of heart, after all of the years needed to get a project like this approved and funded, the missing sidings are never coming to this line. That train left the station, and its not coming back
I would not say never. The towns along the line have too much potential for transit oriented development. I would just say its going to be awhile.

by Raritan Express

finsuburbia wrote:I would just say its going to be awhile.
A very long while.

by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, it probably will be a long while, but it shouldn't be too hard to build another siding. Probably the siding should be in the Hillsdale area; I was thinking maybe between Hillsdale and Westwood, but I'm not sure about the room. I know that Broadway runs RIGHT along the PVL, and there are quite a few grade crossings between Hillsdale and Westwood sta. Maybe if they put the siding just north of the northernmost grade crossing at the shopping center, and the first grade crossing in Hillsdale. Between Hillsdale and Woodcliff Lake, it could probably be done, but I'm not sure about the topography along the right of way.

I'm looking for good places to photograph the day of the new service. My places will probably be Pearl River, Hillsdale, Westwood, and Essex Street in Hackensack(time permitting). This has nothing to do with trains, but how big is the business district in Pearl River?