Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

The dispute with CSX could have been resolved by using two freight cars with N2a couplers at one end , bracketing the M1's to be shipped.
this would have given a normal AAR coupler to tow with and two accesable handbrakes on the two cars.
after each move you couple the two cars with the N2a couplers and send them back to Tarrytown for next batch.
The braking on a M1 set up for tow is normal freight car braking with a 90 Lbs trainline

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

As of Sunday, 4/24 there were 3 1100's a the northern end of the North White Plains Yard. They do not have the FICX markings on them, so I am assuming that they are the cars destined for the Danbury Museum.

by Otto Vondrak

Danbury Rail Museum is only expecting two cars. Maybe MN is surprising them with a third car. Yes, something from that group in NWP is destined for Danbury. DRM is now negotiating with MN their movement to the museum grounds.

-otto-

by Hudsonrail

We asked for one, possibly two in our proposal and it looks like we are getting two. Some paperwork still needs to be completed and arrangements made to move the cars to the DRM. I'll update the group as soon as I have some more information.
Stan Madyda
DRM

LOL

by thedarkliberator

What are you doing to the acmus in terms of paint schemes and rehabilitation. Also if you need help with them, post something here, I'm sure you'll get at least 10 foamers who are good with tools volunteer.

by Nasadowsk

I know it's a weird request - but if at all possible, could you guys preserve the traction gear on those cars (Are they complete)? Even if they never run again, it'd be nice to be able to see how they worked 50 - 100 years ago...

by Hudsonrail

I haven't seen the cars so I do not know what we will be getting. My idea is to preserve as much as possible.

I will want to see both of the cars painted and lettered NYC. Since UV rays are a killer in DRM yard, I have several contacts at other museums that I will be contacting to get their input on the best way to paint the cars.

by huntersails23

a random unrelated remark.

1127 and its sisters are still there,and i did see one car with no ficx marking on it. it was very hard to spot them behind some spv2000's at the yard speed from the train. good luck to you in restoring the train i never got to ride but stared longingly at from a distance!

by Otto Vondrak

A good coat of paint and vinyl lettering applied by a sign shop will last years longer than conventional methods. We lettered a Penn Central caboose that way years ago, and it looks as good as the day we painted it.

http://rochnrhs.org/rgvrrm_pc18526.html

I am not certain what brand of paint we used, but I could find out if this information would help. I am anxious to contribute towards this project and bring back these cars to their rightful Pacemaker Green!

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

Restoring the exterior to NYC geen is fine but the interior is so updated that it can not be brought back to old style. fiberglass panels and fiberglass window interiors, newer fluorecent lights and safety equipment, different seats etc.

by Otto Vondrak

Dutch- "New" paint and a "new" interior... sounds like a decent compromise to me. As a static museum display, it will have to be explained to visitors that the interiors were refurbished. I see no reason to attempt "backdating" the cars to their original state...

Depending on the materials used, painting each car could cost around $3,000 a piece. That includes all the prep work including body work and sanding, an etch primer coat, a build primer coat, and finally, a urethane enamel coat as finish. I only point this out so that people realize that railroad car paint is not merely a dip job with a roller. Especially since these cars will be exposed to the elements year-round, a tough, durable finish is essential. When the time comes, and Danbury announces a formal plan for the cosmetic restoration of these cars, I hope that the railfan community will come forward and contribute.

-otto-

by ANDY117

IM alredy on hand for the LV U23B restoraation, i'd be glad to help with these. I think they look kinda cool. I think the M7's are just ugly. Would it take that much for a stripe? Or is this another part of MTA losing money?

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Has anything happened with these cars since the last posting or are they still in NWP?

by DutchRailnut

still on north 11 in NWP

by Hudsonrail

The paperwork has been signed by Mr. Candito and forwarded to the DRM. Metro North called the museum last Tuesday and told us that they had a crew and were ready to deliver the cars later that night. However they are doing trackwork in Danbury and our lead track has been blocked. We may get them within the next week. Probably a night move.
Stan Madyda
DRM