Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Alcochaser

Have any of the ACMU cars been needed for pinch hit service so far this winter?

by chuchubob

I read on another board that they've been running nearly every day, including today.

by AlM

Correct. Two trainsets (at least) in revenue service just about every day. Typically the NWP-GCT express runs, and reverse.

by ST214

Hmmm, so much for the Farewell to the ACMU trip. That's the second time the trip has been ran. The ACMU's seem to refuse to die. Will we see a 3rd trip?????

by ctaman34

AlM wrote:Correct. Two trainsets (at least) in revenue service just about every day. Typically the NWP-GCT express runs, and reverse.
actually 3

by KFRG

As of this past week, the 5:48pm peak NWP express out of GCT has been an ACMU set.

by M1 9147

And you rode it too Tom lol with JoeLIRR.

by KFRG

Neil ya should have been there lol. We might be doing it again if time permits, get in touch!

Later,
-Tom

by M1 9147

Ya better email me man, and you got my phone number too, so call me, or email me on further.

by Otto Vondrak

I am told that 25 ACMU's went over the hump in CSX's Selkirk Yard last night, and that they are currently on the shop tracks awaiting further movement. (Going over the hump cant be good for 'em... Conrail humped the ex-DL&W MU currently at our museum, and it managed to twist the frame up pretty good)

-otto-

by Alcochaser

Reminds me of a story I once heard. Somewhere in a hump yard they managed to hump a PV being moved somwhere with a rider fast asleep inside. The rider woke up and realized he was being humped and ran out in the vestibule and set the hand brake (one of those ratchet afairs) in his underwear. The result. A car stuck midway down the retarders with its hand brakes on, and a plugged up hump yard.

by Otto Vondrak

Correction: *23* cars are currently sitting buried in the North Departure Yard...

by mncommuter

I am told that 25 ACMU's went over the hump in CSX's Selkirk Yard last night, and that they are currently on the shop tracks awaiting further movement. (Going over the hump cant be good for 'em...
Can someone explain "hump" in this context?
Last edited by mncommuter on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:Correction: *23* cars are currently sitting buried in the North Departure Yard...
At least so far as Selkirk is concerned, if they are "buried" in the north
departure yard, they likely will not be there for very long. Space (tracks)
in that particular yard are at a premium for the make up of trains north,
south, east and west. The local yard is next to the north departure yard
and if there are in the local yard, they could be there for a while.
Noel Weaver

by PutnamJct

mncommuter wrote:
I am told that 25 ACMU's went over the hump in CSX's Selkirk Yard last night, and that they are currently on the shop tracks awaiting further movement. (Going over the hump cant be good for 'em...
Can someone explain "hump" in this context?
A hump is a track that has a raised portion (like a camel hump) that usually leads to a bunch of tracks that cars are sorted into.

A train of say X number of cars is backed to the top of the hill (hump). Each car or set of cars is broken off the end of the train. As they descend down the hill they roll onto the various tracks depending how the switches are set up.
You could have 10 tracks at the bottom of the hump going 10 different places. You back your train up and send the cars down to whatever track will make up the specific train that that car's final destination is.

Hope that helps.