• Official MEC #501 Steam Restoration Project Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by #7470

I think the Mecnanic is very capable of doing such work to restore the 501. I can't wait to see the day when we see steam in the Notch form the 501 and see the Mecnanic operating it up the Notch himself waving at all of the people who put him down as he drives right on by. Man thats gonna be sweet! :-D

by eriemike

Here's something on topic! :-D I have heard from two different people that the tender for the 501 is now in one of the stalls at CSR getting prepped for paint and and some maintenance. Beyond the paint, does anyone know how extensive the work will be? Will sheet metal have to be replaced? Will the work include prepping things, so that IF the funds become available to make it operational, it will make it easier to transition to that next level of restoration work?

Onward and upward!
  by b&m 1566

eriemike wrote:Here's something on topic! :-D I have heard from two different people that the tender for the 501 is now in one of the stalls at CSR getting prepped for paint and some maintenance. Beyond the paint, does anyone know how extensive the work will be? Will sheet metal have to be replaced? Will the work include prepping things, so that IF the funds become available to make it operational, it will make it easier to transition to that next level of restoration work?

Onward and upward!
Last time I saw the tender it looked to have some areas that were rotted out. Before they paint it I would assume some things will need to be replaced.
The MECnanic wrote:For your information CSRR does not own the tracks on the Mountain Division Line. The State of New Hampshire owns them. The CSRR does not own #501 You may think you are some big shot , however I am fully aware of provisions contained within the Constitution that provide me with a vast array of remidies for those intent on depriving me of Due Process Art 14 U.S. and many others.Court ordered Injunctions. My law library sources are not withinreach tonite , but be certain of one thing, i am not a push over ! I have tried everything that has ben sugested to me as to how to end this so caled frift, back last spring. I have al the documents that are dated and, because Mr Matt rines was thinking ahead I have a number if documents and lists of names ans what is what to FRY any number of people who think they are going to deny me a place in the cab of the #501 on the day she runs. If you believe the train wil move very far without me in that cab, you and many people are going to be in for the biggest shock of your lifer. There is only one who knows the appointed hour and who willdo what , that my man is GOD ALMIGHTY, not you ,not russ or the Club Keep blasting away at me, the more youfolks do , the more fuel you put on my fire Bottom Line if you or russ or anyone thinks they are going to chew mre all up , man are you in for a BIG ,BIG surprise. You feel lucky, try me, do you think you can get me boxed on, think twice I am not adraid to die, are you? I think you get the picture . I offered the hand of friendship top seybold and got slapped down, Now i go to the next step and hold peoples feet to the dire till they scream You do what you need to do and so will i . and when the smoke clears and the dust settles, I,ll be holdong the torch of victory, UNDERSTAND. Beat it.
Your right the CSRR doesn't own the tracks the state does nevertheless the CSRR has the contract to maintain and operate the line themselves and your also correct about the CSRR not owning the Rust Bucket *shakes head - I mean the 501. You want to know something else the CSRR only owns one engine (7470) the rest are leased out. You want to run the Rust Bucket yourself that's fine but expect to pay $$$. Two things need to happen (that I can think of) for someone else to run on the tracks: You will need to get a form "D" from the CSRR or you yourself will need to sit down with the NHDOT and work out a contract. Either one is going to want proof of insurance and the certifications to operate. Don’t be surprised if you pay up for maintaining the rails either (I believe the CSRR gets some funding assistants but not 100%). You plan on running the Rust Bucket yourself? You need a qualified crew to assist you volunteer or not. You want to sell tickets you need an even bigger crew and cars to rent; I certainly don't think the CSRR will let you use theirs for free; that’s to say if they would even let you rent them.
I also can’t help but comment on how you say the 470 Club might not be around in a few years; I take it that means the Rust Bucket will be up for sale soon?! It would be a darn shame if some investor(s) purchased the Rust Bucket; all your lawsuits and what not would be wasted.
  by eriemike

b&m 1566 wrote:Last time I saw the tender it looked to have some areas that were rotted out. Before they paint it I would assume some things will need to be replaced.
Thanks b&m 1566 :-D Do you or anyone else know how long it will take to get the tender completed? I would assume they will want it done before the winter as they would want to use that stall to work on CSRR equipment. In general I was told that the boiler itself for #501 is in pretty good shape considering its age and hasn't run in decades; but that there were some issues inside the boiler, though nothing serious. This is probably where the money & time come into play.

To put things in prespective. Look at how long it has taken to restore both the B&M 3713 and Pennsy #1361 back to working operation down at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. They have had their own cases of heartburn along the way and they have much bigger and better equipped facilities and more money to play with and it will be years until we see those run again.

by The MECnanic

You are right , #501 ihas become a rust bucket. Fact... Since I left the project early in 2000 as Master Mechanic, nobody has done anythimg to her since. Iscore consistent 95% or higher on every kind of Mechanical Aptitude Test used by Employers. I fall into the 125-130 range on " IQ " tests. Hint.. I am very smart. I owned and operated Auto Repair/Filling Stations in " The Commonwealth of Mass " one of the states known for miles of RED TAPE , license requirements,forms, certification tasts, the amount of forms,permits and so forth is mind boggling. I never had any problems with this aspect . I may be a FLATLANDER but it does not in any way meanI am a dumbell. [edit by omv]

For the record .....I have stated OVER & OVER all the concern about funding dor #501 would turn out O.K. Certain contributers to this forum continued to make isue with whinning about no money. I asked that people trust me that I can assure them $$$$ will be there as it becomes needed. The plan that Matt Rines and i discussed before his death was this. I would donate $250,000.00 thats 1/4 of a million dollars Mister.
This money would be for #501 only. $25,000.00 thats Twenty five Thousand Dollars would be used to make improvements to stalls 3&4 of the Roundhouse. IVia the forum I made it public that I wanted to buy #501 outright from the 470 club. The Railroad Track behind my home was if need be a home for #501 while she was overhauled., I live in a Great Town I have wonderful Neighbors, It is a working class situation. Town Officals and I have very good friendship. A local town owns several miles of ex New Haven R.O.W. withtrack and a vast area topark cars, a selectman commented on some work i did for the Historical Commision he thought i was going to bring in Steam {pwer and make repairs to track and they were going to hav e tourist site downtown at the former RR station site, they buzzed with this for a long time
Back to topic. BECAUSE I WAS SWATTED DOWN LIKE A FLY AS I WAS TRYING EVERYTHING TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT... NOTE.. The entire deal is dead !!! The RR Club Will Be Taught A Lesson I think I have made my position crystal clear. The 470 Club will become nothing more than a Dust Bowl for what they did to my friend and Mentor Matt Rines and how a childhood dream of bringing a part of our Nations Heritage to life again was run into the ground by certain people who have nothing better to do that take cheap shots at the man with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Fine. I donm,t like for thimgs to end like this but when the hand of good is slapped down , THOU SHALL PAY A HEAVY PRICE. Count on it. :(

by H.F.Malone

Mr. Mechanic:

Are you aware of the Part 230 regulations issued by the Federal Railroad Administration? You have not mentioned how you plan to address any Federal certification or compliance issues in your plan to restore and operate MEC 501.

And, please be aware that 501 WILL come under the juristiction of FRA, unless it operates only in your back yard. And then, it will be under State boiler code juristiction.

Just curious.....

by The MECnanic

Thank You Mr. Malone for your concern. I have every FRA rule and regulation and that goes to everything else with #501 I have a direct line in my phone to the desk of FRA inspector Paul Furman. Any issue can be forwarded to him and a quick response is asured. As a result of my attempt to contribnute $ 250,000.00 of my money to the #501 Restoration Fund and being Stonewalled by the club which clicks with documents that only ine copy exists , The club has been waiting for a unique oppertunity to KILL OF this project for a long time. Matt Rines Death provided this window to end it. Now i,m going to end some things . You,ll hear the thunder when I go at it. Good afternoon. :-D

by Otto Vondrak

Just so you know, HFM wasn't trying to blow smoke... FRA Part 230 covers operation and certification of steam locomotives...

This cites a 2004 edtion of the regs:

http://www.railfanusa.com/info/49cfr230/

In a roundabout way, he was trying to make you aware of some of the issues that may face the 501 in the future.

-otto-

by steveh

John, I think you are making a mistake disparaging the CSRR (or Russ) or the 470 Club on such a public forum. If you have been told "no," by the locomotive's owners and "no" by the host railroad, why continue to be so negative? I just don't think this tact will get you anywhere, and in fact will probably only serve to make things more difficult. If you want to see the 501 restored, donate the money to the 470 Club with no strings attached other than your gift must be used for "restoration to operation." Put a time limit on the offer, then see what happens. Othewise you have as much right as I do demanding that they allow you to have your way with their property...

by Cowford

Mechanic - perhaps you could post on your website the letters whereby you offered the 470 Club the $250K for 501's restoration...

by NHN503

Guys, lets try to keep the posting about personal restoration to a minimum. I wish not to fill this thread with far off pipe dreams.

If you wish to contribute, please donate, or join the 470 Club, or volunteer with CSRR.

by SLR 393

Ian, I was thinking of buying a Big Boy to run at Conway, you willing to chip in? :-D

by b&m 1566

This just in from the Vice President of the 470 Railroad Club, J. Leonard Bachelder. It was sent to me via email.
Unfortunately, the 501 will not be restored to operate "anytime soon". We have decided instead to restore the locomotive cosmetically as a static display, but being careful to do nothing that would prevent its being made operational at some future time. The problem boils down to time and money, as most things do. Restoring the locomotive to operate would be VERY expensive. Personally, I think the money would be forthcoming if a definite plan to restore it were in place. Not everyone agrees, however. An even more serious concern is "Where would she operate?". The Conway Scenic Railroad has said that they cannot at this time see that they would be in a position to operate the 501 as well as their own steam locomotive 7470. Granted, this may change, but it would not be prudent to embark upon a restoration process without knowing for sure that there would be a place to run the locomotive. (There are other possibilities, but they are just "dreams" at this point in time.) That is because FRA certification lasts for only a fixed amount of time - the locomotive could be restored and certified, but with no place to run it, the time would run out and we would have gained nothing! In the meantime, the tender is currently being painted, and the locomotive itself will soon be. We are looking for ways to protect it from the weather once cosmetically restored. One of the things we are considering is a temporary "shed" that could be put over the locomotive in the winter and removed in the spring. That is the current status of this project.
  by The MECnanic

A few months ago before #501 Project Manager Matt Rines Death the VP of the 470 RR CLub stated on this forum that #501 would ber going into the roundhouse in july 07 , so work to restore her to operational condition could begin. I have a copy of that statement. now the 470 club has done e 180 degree about face story. The statement from this past sprintime has somehow vanished into thin air. WHY? The only thing missing is Matt rines. This situatilon is spelled out in a document that matt produced . Theclub didn,t get their hands on these items. Matt spelled it all out, I have that document , in his writing It,s clearly speled out who is for and who is against this project. That expl;ains why a negative comment by the now top man of the club against me , that went back to matt and who was to know if Matt told me the name ,or not. There is a lot of Scandel going on. I know the name and well ,Mister prez It,s just a matter of time now, you have been exposed . This my friend is not good for you For whom the bell tolls , huh mr 470 prez??? :-D
  by The MECnanic

To answer a few questions posted ny " ERIEMIKE " The tender has rotted away in the area where the doors to the storage area and the large bulkhead doors are closed against the weight of a full load of fuelare located. There seems to be a lop where repair work long ago produced a small hump that water can,t pass over and drain away. that pronlem can be solved very easy. To do this tender right or if the tender was to be done at my shop the tender would be jacked up and the trucks rolled out or inspection /repairs. The tender would be supported by cribbing. The inside of the tender would be sand blasted dront to back and top to bottom, may require cutting out part of the slope and reweding aftrer cleaning. A special water proof epoxy coating that is designed to chemicly bond to minimal rust coatings after blasting , It is not required to have perfectly shine to the metal . A good sand man knows when enough is enough. the special epoxy requires special breating equipment to be used . This process ends al future possibility of rust returning. The screens and water outlets can be cleaned or repaired. The trucks need to have the brake apparatus serviced or repaired, the plate tat allow the trucks to pivot need to be cleaned ,inspected and the pin as well , Tghe drawbar should be glass beaded to releive surface stress then magnafluxed The trucks should be disasembled , bearings checked , new pads , oil , ec. Matt Rines and I composed a list of priorities and listed everything we could think of or FRA required us to do or renew. The tender contains about a 42 gallon drum of loose scale and rust. The baffles are in very good shape thickness wise. The swivel plates must be loked at ,cleaned and greased. It has been over 50 years, rust , chemical etching and lack of lubricant , can spell big pronlems one loaded with fuel and water. As my mechanical trade school teacher said, " a pound of grease is cheaper than a new replacement part of anything that takes grease. Hope this answers your question.