• Front Range Colorado Passenger Service: Pueblo - Fort Collins

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by GWoodle

Going south could run a train to Raton & the Boy Scout camp. Potential to connect with some riders at Denver from CZ.
  by Jeff Smith

Ballot Initiative: Railway Age
Planners and supporters of a proposed passenger rail line from Pueblo to Fort Collins, Colo., including Gov. Jared Polis, are working toward a 2024 ballot measure that would ask voters to help fund the line, according to a CPR News report.

The train line would “likely operate primarily on its own tracks in existing freight rail corridors, could carry more than two million passengers a year, and could cost between $8 billion and $14 billion for a full build-out,” according to a 2020 analysis from the Front Range Passenger Rail District, and as reported by CPR News. “A lower-cost, interim version would have passenger trains on freight tracks.”
  by Steamguy73

GWoodle wrote:Going south could run a train to Raton & the Boy Scout camp. Potential to connect with some riders at Denver from CZ.
That would be a good partnership. I’m not sure if the Santa Fe ever had one (I’m sure they did) but it would be a good way to gain ridership and attention for Amtrak.

At that point though you might as well get New Mexico to join in, and extend a service to Albuquerque: 1 round trip a day the entire year, and two a day seasonally.
  by Gilbert B Norman

They did Mr. Steamguy, and I think the Denver-Albuquerque train with through Coach and Sleeper survived until A-Day.

It appears that any agency, Amtrak or Local, contemplating such a service recognizes they will have to lay their own track. The joint C&S D&RGW along with the paired AT&SF trackage are overloaded with traffic as that Swedish girl hasn't put King Coal out of business - yet.
  by Jeff Smith

Corridor ID approved: 9news.com
Front Range rail project receives initial federal funding

WASHINGTON — A proposed passenger rail project from Pueblo to Fort Collins will receive initial federal funding, according to a Wednesday announcement from Congressman Joe Neguse’s office.

The Front Range Passenger Train Project has been included in the Corridor Identification and Development Program, a planning and development program authorized by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
  by Jeff Smith

Inspection train: DenverPost
First train rolls as Colorado leaders rally for passenger rail linking Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins by 2027

LONGMONT – Colorado leaders ramped up their efforts to launch a passenger train system linking Denver, Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, and Fort Collins within three years, riding a ceremonial first train on Thursday afternoon.

“We’re going to get it done,” Gov. Jared Polis declared before boarding the Amtrak Superliner at Denver’s Union Station and rolling for 44 miles in about 90 minutes to Longmont.
The intensifying state push focuses on securing federal funds, from the $102 billion bipartisan infrastructure pool, approved for “intercity” rail transit. State lawmakers, Colorado Department of Transportation directors, Regional Transportation District officials, Amtrak’s president, and U.S. Department of Transportation railway administrators tasked with awarding funds came along for the ride and saw scores of aficionados huddled outside train windows at multiple points waving up and taking photos.
  by Jeff Smith

There's certainly not much here, but it's interesting to note that CO has apparently passed some type of legislation concerning this service. I'll keep an eye out.

https://media.amtrak.com/2024/05/amtrak ... -colorado/
“It’s clear Colorado needs and wants more passenger rail service. Thanks to the Governor’s leadership and the strong legislative and public support, this legislation will enable us to work together to bring frequent, reliable and sustainable passenger service to the Front Range,” said Amtrak President Roger Harris.
  by Jeff Smith

Amtrak favored: ColoradoNewsLine
Why Amtrak looks likely to operate Colorado’s proposed Front Range rail line

Colorado’s plan to reestablish passenger rail service along the Front Range doesn’t yet have funding, a name, a final route and station map, or an opening date in sight. But ahead of an imminent decision on whether to ask voters in November to raise money for the new service with a small sales tax hike, the state board overseeing the effort spent time this week discussing with Amtrak officials details as minute as fare structures, bike racks and pet policies.

Though it’s not official yet, Thursday’s meeting of the Front Range Passenger Rail Commission was another indication that Amtrak, the nation’s quasi-public passenger rail corporation, is almost certain to be selected as the service’s operator, if the decades-in-the-making proposal finally becomes a reality.

“We are eager to partner with you, with the many potential future state partners,” Nicole Bucich, Amtrak’s vice president of network development, told district board members.
  by Vincent

“We’re going to get it done,” Gov. Jared Polis declared before boarding the Amtrak Superliner at Denver’s Union Station and rolling for 44 miles in about 90 minutes to Longmont.
That pretty much sums up the task ahead. Forty-four miles in 90 minutes isn't going to attract enough customers to run a 21st century railroad. This project will need a lot of infrastructure investment.

What is running on those tracks other than coal? How much track capacity will be available once the Colorado coal plants are closed?
  by codasd

The forty-four miles in 90 minutes was all for picture taking and not indicative of the actual plan which is 80 mph service. The track is all class 4. In my area, Colorado Spring, the track is 141RE CWR with concrete ties. The biggest expense will be for PTC. While Colorado coal plants have closed this line is very active with Texas coal, IM, autos, ethanol, grain etc.
  by NHV 669

Is the one just south of Fountain/next to I-25/Fort Carson still running? That was the biggest traffic I saw on the Joint Line while I was stationed there. Seemed like there was always loads or empties going somewhere. The single track into the middle of CoS doesn't help anything.
  by codasd

NHV 669 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:38 am Is the one just south of Fountain/next to I-25/Fort Carson still running? That was the biggest traffic I saw on the Joint Line while I was stationed there. Seemed like there was always loads or empties going somewhere. The single track into the middle of CoS doesn't help anything.
The line just south of Fountain is still running. It is in this area that it splits back to dual lines split between UP and BNSF. The shared line between Palmer Lake and Fountain is single track. There are two passing tracks, at the Air Force Academy and in Monument. Each can hold a 110 car coal train and power. I believe the original DRGW line was dual track.
  by NHV 669

I was asking about the power plant... I'm well aware of the Joint Line splits. I used to hang out south of Academy Boulevard at the Fountain split to watch trains pass.