• Official MEC #501 Steam Restoration Project Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Reader#108

you weren't being rude.....I have read them and I have also spoken to folks at CSRR. I just feel that if you can do it....then do it! It is my opinion that it would be better if it were running than as a static rust bucket, considering the boiler passed inspection at one point not long ago....
  by Cosmo

If you think that just because that boiler passed inspection "recently" that it's just that simple to get that thing to actualy run again under steam, THINK AGAIN!
That boiler is much $$ and many man-hours of labor away from holding steam.
I've been in recent contact with those who know and trust me, the decision to go static was not made lightly.
And, boiler not withstanding, just "putting it back together," if that were the case, is not NEAR as simple as it sounds.
Belive me, I have a grasp of what it will take to get the VRR's #3025 running, and she was "not long ago" under steam, and HAS a certifiably good boiler. With THAT engine, it really IS more a matter of reassembling the parts that are already on hand, (oh, and some relatively simple cosmetic work, ie: new cab and tender modifications,) however, it will still require much $$ and MANY man hours of labor!
Bottom line, 501 won't just magicaly put itself back together! It would take a team of dedicated, experienced volunteers with sufficient funding and the TIME available to put into the task. While this is not impossible to see happen, it must be so before she'll go, and right now it just isn't.
  by Rust Bucket

Reader 108,

Just to clarify the boiler never passed inspection. It failed the hydro test without question. There are also several issues that need to be resolved before it will ever pass inspection. Yes, the boiler did recieve new tubes but they all have to be cut-out to remediate the botched throat brace strap repair. In addition the front tube sheet has a bulge in it which was not noticed at first. When the tubes were ordered the measurement was taken from near the edge (non-bulged) this meant the large diameter tubes containing the super-heater units were not long enough to properly roll and bead. Also the fire box needs work. MEC used the 501 for a number of years as a source for low pressure steam during that period repairs were made around the firebox door opening that are un-acceptable for service use. Also the knuckle (where the rear tube sheet and crown sheet interface) is pourious and also needs to be replaced. Add to that the need to replace a bunch of staybolts that were removed you can see that the boiler is nowhere near ready to steam.

All these repairs take time and a whole lot of money. As mentioned earlier a whole bunch of money has been thrown at this project. In short its like the GM & Chrysler bailout - a whole lot of money wasted. At this point the club has shot its bolt and is undoubtably gun-shy.
  by Otto Vondrak

Reader#108 wrote:you weren't being rude.....I have read them and I have also spoken to folks at CSRR. I just feel that if you can do it....then do it! It is my opinion that it would be better if it were running than as a static rust bucket, considering the boiler passed inspection at one point not long ago....
Believe me, John, we all know how you feel. It's obviously not in the cards right now, beyond all our control. But thanks for sharing your opinion with us once more.

-otto-
  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:If you think that just because that boiler passed inspection "recently" that it's just that simple to get that thing to actualy run again under steam, THINK AGAIN!
That boiler is much $$ and many man-hours of labor away from holding steam.
I've been in recent contact with those who know and trust me, the decision to go static was not made lightly.
And, boiler not withstanding, just "putting it back together," if that were the case, is not NEAR as simple as it sounds.
Belive me, I have a grasp of what it will take to get the VRR's #3025 running, and she was "not long ago" under steam, and HAS a certifiably good boiler. With THAT engine, it really IS more a matter of reassembling the parts that are already on hand, (oh, and some relatively simple cosmetic work, ie: new cab and tender modifications,) however, it will still require much $$ and MANY man hours of labor!
Bottom line, 501 won't just magicaly put itself back together! It would take a team of dedicated, experienced volunteers with sufficient funding and the TIME available to put into the task. While this is not impossible to see happen, it must be so before she'll go, and right now it just isn't.
well, unlike some restorations of steam locomotives (like the return of SP 4449) wil take time, but the 501 does hold a particular advantage, they did repairs after the test firings in 1989 and 1999. also of note is that these problems are small, but will take time to repair. other than that, cosmetically, not much will have to be done, as 501 is in great cosmetic shape. i would guess with the proper man power and capita, 501 could return to steam in about a year, and if there is a shortage of parts, steamtown has MEC #509 on display, so if the guys at steamtown are willing, we could use parts from 509 on the 501, seeing they are of the same MEC 2-8-0 500 class.