• Will They Ever Return?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by ExCon90

Amidst all the discussion about home vs. office I have seen no mention of what appears to be in some areas a demand for weekend service exceeding pre-pandemic levels; any thoughts?
  by RandallW

ExCon90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:18 pm Amidst all the discussion about home vs. office I have seen no mention of what appears to be in some areas a demand for weekend service exceeding pre-pandemic levels; any thoughts?
When your home is your office, not being in the office on weekends also means not being at home on weekends, but that means getting out of the home/office on day trips or mini vacations / weekend getaways, not just running errands.
  by eolesen

I supposed that's true -- if you can get laundry, cleaning, etc. done during the pauses in your workday, then you have that much more free time on the weekends.
  by ElectricTraction

dowlingm wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:40 amconsider also that remote work has improved the employment prospects of those with disabilities. It also provides another option other than “risk your life/vehicle and come in” or “lose a day’s production” for services employers during inclement weather.

In April 2020 I said “a bell is about to be rung that a lot of people are going to pretend was never sounded” and I was right.
That's a good point. Like in many things, COVID did not invent remote work. COVID did not make remote work feasible. But COVID did speed up the remote work trend by probably a decade or more. Now we're in a period of reactionary backlash, but that, too will eventually subside as the realities of hiring workers and as office leases come up.

Like many things, Americans will probably overshoot one way or the other a few times before everything finds some equilibrium.
  by STrRedWolf

ElectricTraction wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:50 pm That's a good point. Like in many things, COVID did not invent remote work. COVID did not make remote work feasible. But COVID did speed up the remote work trend by probably a decade or more. Now we're in a period of reactionary backlash, but that, too will eventually subside as the realities of hiring workers and as office leases come up.

Like many things, Americans will probably overshoot one way or the other a few times before everything finds some equilibrium.
I will say, the pressure to pay for office space is great. My company closed out it's office space in Baltimore last year, moved local operations back to the leased data center, and is posed to move out of Baltimore completely down to owned data centers. Economics at play.
  by Ken W2KB

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:32 am
ElectricTraction wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:50 pm That's a good point. Like in many things, COVID did not invent remote work. COVID did not make remote work feasible. But COVID did speed up the remote work trend by probably a decade or more. Now we're in a period of reactionary backlash, but that, too will eventually subside as the realities of hiring workers and as office leases come up.

"In New York, office space per employee costs on average $14,800 annually" https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres ... 2015-05-27

I will say, the pressure to pay for office space is great. My company closed out it's office space in Baltimore last year, moved local operations back to the leased data center, and is posed to move out of Baltimore completely down to owned data centers. Economics at play.
  by eolesen

Ken W2KB wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:19 pm "In New York, office space per employee costs on average $14,800 annually" https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres ... 2015-05-27
That link is a 9 year old data point. Hard to say if that's gone up because of inflation or is flat/down because rent renewals are becoming distressed due to high vacancy rates.

I also have to wonder how many multi-state employers got smart and moved remote employees "work address" to something outside the reach of the NYC city income tax or even outside NY altogether. I know my employer allowed remote employees to correct their taxation address according to where they spend their work-week.