• Official MEC #501 Steam Restoration Project Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by #7470

Well, I just think we should support Mecnanic. After all he does get the job done right the first time. He has volunteers, and seems like he has people with the know how of what to do. You know, the Mecnanic is the only one on this thread who is bringing some hope into this restoration project, complaints and all of this negative maybe logical feedback isn't going to get the 501 up through the Notch. Well Menanic, I support you and I'm turning myself away from negative feedback. After all, lets not forget that this forum is about the restoration of the 501, not the possibility of a restoration for the 501. Please, I don't want to hear anyone wo opposes what I have to say, I'm not listening anymore. Right now, all I want to hear from is Mecnanic. Please keep me posted on your progress.

by The MECnanic

Question... Who owns #501 ?

Answer..... Every member of the 470 Club, not a select few.

Question... How much spent to date?

Answer...... $88,300.00 not 100K

Question... How soon for answers?

Answer..... Thermostat going higher.

Question... How come when Matt Rines died the project did as well ?

Answer..... Good Question !! I know the real answer. You need go to my WEB PAGE and click on the 470 logo Album If my page says not available then left click MY SHOTS box and it will be viewable. Use the WWW box at the bottom of this quote Thanks :-)

by viewfinder

The MECnanic wrote: Question... How much spent to date...Answer...... $88,300.00 not 100K
That's only $11,700 dollars difference!!! I think that qualifies as "nearly."
(this is me, everytime I read anything in this thread!)

by Cowford

To paraphrase the commercial:

A postcard of 501: $0.75
Likely cost of restoring 501: $4-500K by the time you're done, if you use other restorations as a gauge ($300K-$1.2M)
Last post: Priceless, Viewfinder!

by BayColony1706

I have played by the "Thumper Rule" (If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all) so far. But as a railroader and resident of MA, I have to chime in here.. The 501 has a much, much better chance of restoration work being done on her in a rural locale like N. Conway, and not the Boston 'Burbs... No disrespect intended, but i don't think the neighbors would put up with a locomotive being rebuilt next door...
  by The MECnanic

Wow, i used to have a car engine act like that every now and then, you need a set of Points & Condencer, ,018" gap, all kidding aside, i made a mistake.

$7,800.00 to purchase #501 from MEC
$9,500.00 in new boiler hardware , never installed.
$2,700.00 in standard size piston hardware,never installed
$11,700.00 shy of 100K
--------------------------------
=
$31,700.00 in resale parts and or monies unspent. In the worst case scenaio these new items of hardware are NOS, it,s monie spent but not lost or wasted and could be worth more money as time goes by. That $11,700.00 could buy a lot of labor for the time it takes to install and weld numerous Rigid and flex Staybolts. You did make a good point , a lot of money has been spent on new components, the old defective parts have been 90%removed by volunteer hours. Don,t bang your head like that , all will turn out good in the end. Please calm down
  by The MECnanic

I have lived in my home town since birth, I hold an elected position in Town Government and am well supported at election time. If my good neighbors are able to park tractor trailer bodies on their property , and turn my neighborhood into a junk yard, then in a democratic society i can as well. The town is very aware of my Railroading Heritage and what i contribute towards the education of school children during American History Week and Historical Socirty Shows when my collection of Railroadania from the New Haven Railroad goes on display. I don,t live in " The Republic of Hingham or Deluxbury or High Hat Ville, where painting your house the wrong color gets you arrested. The #501 Tender has no problem coming to Holbrook, I already know. Thank you for your concern. :-D

by BayColony1706

Good deal. I wish you luck then. Hope it all turns out well in the end.

by mc367

I've read the 470 Club's current plans in one of the recent newsletters. And to me, going ahead with a cosmetic restoration of the 501 seems like the best plan of action. While I would love to opportunity to photograph the 501 going up Crawford Notch or on the Rockland Branch - realistically the resources just aren't there. Giving the engine a cosmetic restoration will properly preserve the engine and will accomplish the main goal - teaching another generation about the past. While that could be best done by having her run, it just doesn't seem likely in the near future. This way if and when the day ever does come that the money and resources are available she can be restored to operation.

Plus the money that isn't spent could also be used on other, just as worthy projects. Looking at the 4266 recently a new coat of paint would be a plus. And what about some engines that haven't been preserved - Has anyone at the 470 Club shown interest in preserving a former Maine Central U18-B? or how about a Bangor and Aroostook GP9? Both of these are in the focus area of the 470 Club and both are VERY worthy candidates for preservation.

Just a few of my thoughts

-Justin Franz

by mxdata

There is another option: Push #501 up the hill with an F40PH and claim that the diesel is only there to provide HEP for the train. Seems that I heard there is a precident for this in steam operations somewhere or other. All you would need is a couple bilevel commuter coaches and it would look just right. :wink:

MX

by b&m 1566

You know... running the 501 up the notch with a couple of oil rages on hand for dramatization might not be a bad idea. Aside from your F40PH the 2820 and or the sister's would be able to handle the 501 along with the rest of the train set.
  by The MECnanic

I tried my best to make it known that the funding solution for the #501 Project would take care of itself. Don,t worry about I said. While many were taking shots at my ideas and thoughts , Forum Contributer #7470 whoby the way is a teenager, read between the lines, supported me and without me ever imforming him, knew somthing was cooking. It was andafter a severalyear legal fight , an out of court settlement has netted me well over $___ [dollar amount removed -omv]. I will post a document on my web page entitled ....."DAVID v. GOLIATH ". NOTE ! The funds are not at my home and are very ,very secure from thedt Don,t even think about it

The 470 Railroad Club never responded to my letter regarding the 501 Project CSRR would have recieved $25,000.00 for major rehab to Stalls 3&4.I would ray to have a cement floor poured ,reset the tracks,insulate the walls, electric loghting fixtures, lighting, air compresor and worjk benches constructed, etc. This would be a WIN- WIN situation for everyone, even Russ. Russ had a nasty lawyer letter sent to me. I just don,t understand why he would turn down such an offer.. A gift to all at CSRR, It was a gesture of good will ,. so we tweo grown men couild work together on making a favorite place of mine much better. Having a refurbished work area for the #501 Restoration Project is money well spent , agreed?

I have other plans for this Windfall of $$$$$$$$$$ now Remember the wounded animal is going to respond. The Huricaine is on the way. Rember to check the box at the bottomof this entry and go to my web page for more details. NOTE PRESS MY SHOTS TO VIEW MY POSTINGS AFTER HITING THE WWW BOX BELOW. Available Sat Noontime

This topic does pertain to the #501 Project ,leave it alone , leve it alone, it would be terrible if the entire railroad ,net site crashed :(

by Otto Vondrak

The MECnanic- I don't think anyone is out to attack you... but I guess my only question is one brought up earlier- even if the engine is to be restored to operating condition, what is the plan to sustain the restoration once it is complete? Too many engines have had to drop their fires because they simply ran out of cash to keep up to standards and inspections. You don't have to give a detailed answer now, but I guess that would be one of my concerns to adding another live steamer to the CSRR fleet. Reading all you've done, I certainly appreciate your efforts to preserve New England railroading... I think we all do. I guess it's just a curious situation that we're all trying to understand.

Let's do our best to keep this thread to the 501 topic, and let's leave criticisms of the CSRR and other personalities out of it.

-otto-

by CSRR573

I also like the idea of a cosmetic restoration and pushing it up the notch also. Seeing how everyone is saying that it will cost too much for the CSRR or the 470 club to fully restore the 501, maybe we should write a letter to The Prince of Dubai or Bill Gates asking them to donate some $$$ to the 501

by Cowford

where's that guy with the "head-banging on the desk" animation when you need him? :-D