• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Send 'em back where they came from'. Scott will have a 'bon voyage' party as they are loaded on a vessel at the Port of Milwaukee and serenade them with Gordon Lightfoot' '' 'up the St. Lawrence and out to Gaspe' along with a blowviate of 'we are ridding our State of this waste representing how business used to be done here - but not anymore!!!!.

Post of the month, folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by frequentflyer

I find it fascinating some are still arguing about this. This was not the equipment the CHI-MIL route needed. It needed the bi-levels the other Midwest states have on order.

I wish the Talgo units would have been put in service just to make the point some here do not see.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote:'
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Gordon Lightfoot' '' 'up the St. Lawrence and out to Gaspe' .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Dunville, I believe you have, or should have, this song in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzo6Otpgj-E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@4:48
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by mtuandrew

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Tadman wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Gordon Lightfoot' '' 'up the St. Lawrence and out to Gaspe' .

Mr. Dunville, I believe you have, or should have, this song in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzo6Otpgj-E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@4:48
Both quality songs.

Oh, Wisconsin, it's said, never thinks with its head,
When the time for election's in season!
  by Matt Johnson

The Wisconsin Talgos sort of remind me of this!
  by David Benton

I just think it is a shame that some of Amtrak's newest and best equipment is sitting there doing nothing.
Technically these are the most advanced equipment amtrak does. comparisons to past equipment mean nothing.
  by Tadman

Define newest and best????

Newest = ACS64 and soon View-II

Best = anything with empirical evidence to show cost effectiveness, reliability, longevity... You certainly can't have empirical evidence on something that's not yet turned a wheel. If you look at prior generation Talgo, you'll see there's a niche application but it's not had impressive enough numbers to be considered for any other application across North American since 1994.
  by AgentSkelly

I was talking to one of the Talgo techs that works on the Cascades about the Wisconsin trainset not too long ago and he said there was consideration from the Province of British Columbia to acquire the sets to help contribute to the Cascades operation and possibily Vancouver Island Service, but apparently, there was some regulatory issue due to the fact they would be owned by a Canadian entitly. I can't think of any Transport Canada regulations off the top of my head that would make it an issue.

But down the road, I could see WSDOT just buying them.
  by mtuandrew

AgentSkelly wrote:I was talking to one of the Talgo techs that works on the Cascades about the Wisconsin trainset not too long ago and he said there was consideration from the Province of British Columbia to acquire the sets to help contribute to the Cascades operation and possibily Vancouver Island Service, but apparently, there was some regulatory issue due to the fact they would be owned by a Canadian entitly. I can't think of any Transport Canada regulations off the top of my head that would make it an issue.

But down the road, I could see WSDOT just buying them.
I'd be skeptical just because the tech mentioned Vancouver Island service. Unless it's excursion-based, I doubt it's coming back — and definitely not with higher-speed equipment unless the Province has a grove of money trees.
  by Tadman

Good point. E&N is in awful shape.

Oddly enough, if I were to offhand come up with a second-best use for these cars, perhaps the Detroit run. Michigan Central was not known for being an arrow-straight ride, especially east of Jackson or Albion.
  by electricron

Tadman wrote:Good point. E&N is in awful shape.

Oddly enough, if I were to offhand come up with a second-best use for these cars, perhaps the Detroit run. Michigan Central was not known for being an arrow-straight ride, especially east of Jackson or Albion.
That would only be possible if Michigan built a maintenance yard for them. That's the bottom of the dispute between Talgo and Wisconsin -- the new Governor didn't wish to spend a dime on a new maintenance yard.

Additionally, Michigan has already spent significant amounts of money buying new Superliner regional railcars.

A better bet would be Oklahoma and Texas buying one each and placing them in service on the Heartland Flyer and doubling the frequency of that train. Their low floors wouldn't be a problem in low platform country. I'd would change the white and red livery simply by adding a blue stripe to the existing one. The only other change would be changing one of the a cars on each train into a Bistro for food and bar services, there would be no need to upgrade any car into first or business class.
  by mtuandrew

I'd still be happy to see them running all the way to Minnesota - with how late the Builder has been in past months, we desperately need a reliable Regional. They'd be able to stretch their legs on the River Sub too, assuming CP let them.
  by Tadman

So here's an interesting question: if the tilt mechanism were disabled and welded in place, could the cars function without a mechanic and assorted support functions, IE like a normal passenger car? Obviously this defeats the purpose of a tilt car but perhaps this is the only way the cars can be sold/used given the lack of curvy trackage or willingness to provide support staff.
  by Nasadowsk

IIRC, the technician on board is there as part of the way Talgo supports/services the cars. i.e., it's part of the 'package' when you buy the cars. There nothing inherent about the design that requires an on board staff, it's just the way talgo does things.
  by AgentSkelly

I should clarifiy; the E&N is being restored and I know the Island Corridor Foundation is not going anywhere with negotiations with VIA; so there was some other options of the table, but thats a moot point.