Railroad Forums 

• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1070250  by larry1090

Grill covers almost ready to go back on the E-8 4253 and also E-7 Can't wait to see them on the Engine's there going to look great. there all done just need to be installed.
 #1071571  by larry1090

The United Railroad Historical Society (URHS) of New Jersey Presents:

Annual New Jersey Transportation Heritage Festival

Antique buses and trucks Railroad locomotives and cars

Audiovisual presentations Operation Lifesaver©

Refreshments and Souvenirs available! Shop Tours

Sunday, September 16th 10am-5pm

MORE INFO to come Soon.
 #1072239  by FullScale4Me

FTR4444 wrote: Railroad & Transportation Festival – Boonton
Sunday, September 16, 2012 — 10 am - 5 pm
The event is held is rain or shine – most of it is indoors where it is air conditioned.
Sponsored by the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ, Inc.
dba New Jersey Railroad Museum (Restoration Facility)
It’s FREE !!!

You are invited to join the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ aka URHS as they celebrate New Jersey’s rich transportation history. The festival will take place in and around the URHS’s restoration facility located at 100 Morris Avenue in Boonton, New Jersey.

See the largest electric locomotives that ever operated in New Jersey, the Pennsylvania RR’s famous 1930’s vintage streamlined GG-1s. They were the giants of the rails and everyday they traveled over 100mph between New York City and Washington DC on some of the world’s most famous trains!

See a variety of vintage diesel locomotives, passenger cars and freight cars. Some have been beautifully restored while others await restoration in the future.

In the massive 1906 restored and air conditioned railroad freight house next to the railroad exhibits will be exhibits, railroad memorabilia sales tables, free newsletters, and most important exciting multi-media presentations on New Jersey’s railroads.

Hear from former railroad employees who reveal what it was like working on the railroad more than half a century ago as well as see shows by local railroad historians in the comfort of the magnificent old freight house.

A special feature will be presentations by New Jersey Transit on their Operation Lifesaver program for kids and adults that will run for 20 minutes each hour. Kids will get free coloring books and listen to an exciting presentation.

Want More? On display at the museum will be antique trucks, fire engines, buses, and military vehicles.

This railroad equipment restoration facility is normally closed to the public and the last time it was open for a public event was three years ago!

PARKING

Free parking in the Boonton Municipal Parking Lot along Division Street east of Main Street at the old railroad station. A vintage bus will shuttle visitors between the parking lots and the festival or you may walk to it on the sidewalks. The festival is less than one block <I>west</I> of Main Street on Morris Avenue, but there is no parking on Morris Avenue.

An overflow lot is at the New Jersey Transit railroad station on the southbound roadway (Myrtle Avenue extension) to I-287 southbound. There is, however on-street meter parking on Main Street.

DIRECTIONS

Coming from the south: On I-287 get off at the Main Street exit (44). Once on Main Street cross over the railroad tracks on the overhead bridge. At the Division Street traffic light turn right. The parking lot is a very short distance (476 feet) on the right at the old railroad station. GPS: 175 Division Street, Boonton, NJ 07005.

Coming from the north: On I-287 get off at the Myrtle Avenue exit (45). Turn left on Myrtle Avenue (US RT 202). Continue for 0.8 mile. Take the second right onto North Main Street (RT 511). Take the first right onto Division Street. The parking lot is a very short distance (476 feet) on the right at the old railroad station. GPS: 175 Division Street, Boonton, NJ 07005.

To learn more about the URHS and this event, visit their website: http://www.urhs.org/

United Railroad Historical Society of NJ Inc.
908 647-3622 (9 am-7 pm)
[email protected]
 #1073232  by northjerseybuff

Went past Passaic this morning and saw the U34CH. It is really looking bad, lots of rust spots and falling into deep disrepair. Is this unit a top priority for the URHS
 #1073246  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:Went past Passaic this morning and saw the U34CH. It is really looking bad, lots of rust spots and falling into deep disrepair. Is this unit a top priority for the URHS

Sadly, no it isnt!!
 #1073357  by larry1090

There will be a work session this Sat 8-18-2012 starting at 9:30 AM in the Booton Yard. will be working on the F7 and then the E-8 if there is time. hope to see all that can make it.

Thanks,

Larry
 #1073555  by Jtgshu

Whoa!!! That stainless is SHINY!!! hahaha

The locos look great!

The Reading loco is the former NJT F7, 417? maybe? Quite a drastic change since I saw it last!

I know its a whole other can of worms, but how are those locos, especially the E8s, mechanically? I know the former "Erie" locos run but I think they need new wheels? What about the Es that were parked at the power plant, the NJDOT one in particular....any chance of them ever actually running again or do they have any kind of major damage or missing parts that would make it next to impossible or at least a lot of work?