by larry1090

Mid work shot of 802.
  by larry1090

looking East @ the BLD.

larry
  by larry1090

Looking West at Bld.
  by larry1090

Here we see the Hickory Creek at Grand Central Terminal on Nat. Train day 2012. Back on Home Rails.

Builder: Pullman Standard Car Mfg. Co.
Type: 5 Bedroom, Lookout Observation Lounge
Built: August 1948
Original Owner: Pullman Company
History: This car and was christened on September 15, 1948 in Grand Central Terminal, New York City. General Dwight D. Eisenhower officiated the celebration of the New York Central Railroad's rebuilt 20th Century Limited train entering service between New York and Chicago. During it's 20 years of service, the Hickory Creek graced the rear end of the "most famous train in the world" and was used in advertisements, promotions, and Hollywood's finest movies to reflect a standard of excellence in premier rail travel. In 1968, it was retired and sold to Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus. URHS of NJ obtained the car in 1991 and contracted Star Trak. to rebuild the car to Amtrak standards. Its inaugural trip was run on June 26,2005 between New York and Niagara Falls. It is currently available for charter through Luxury Rail Vacations, Inc

Photo credit , M. Phalon
  by RussNelson

I see some interesting equipment in the yard out behind the Bergen Generating Station on Bing aerial photos on this track: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/166172627 -- what is the status of it?

EDIT: Aha! Looks like it all got moved to Boonton: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... on#p563592 -- well done! Now if only we New Yorkers could do (have done) the same for the equipment at Colonie and Glenmont...
  by larry1090

Small emergency work sessions , This Monday , Tuesday and Wed. (6-11-2012 , 6-12-2012 and 6-13-2012. If your free call or IM or email me for info. Yard opens 7 AM to 6 PM ish. if you have a few spare hours that would be great !!! Thanks in advance.

Larry
  by FullScale4Me

---forwarded---message--------------------------
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 03:11:14 PM EDT
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Volunteerrailroaders] Boonton Saturday 6/30

I'll be in Boonton Saturday morning 8am. Have a few things left to do on the brush car. Have some work I want to do on the 100tonner also.
Come on out and lend a hand.

Thanks,
Steve Gerritsen
(URHS Boonton yard foreman)
  by larry1090

Work session this Fri. duing day. PM for more info.

Larry
  by larry1090

larry1090 wrote:Work session this Fri. duing day. PM for more info.

Larry

Called off for today , Rain out. thanks to the guys that said they could come up.

Larry
  by larry1090

GG1 4877 sitting out side the shop.
  by larry1090

F-7 unit mid work.
  by larry1090

Conrail GP10 in the house. 2000 H.P. EMD GP-10 Built 1955. Acquired 2007 Black River RR . Formerly New England Southern Railroad #566 / CR #7566 / PC #7311 / NYC #7311 / NYC #5911 / EMD b/n 20900.
  by larry1090

This Sat. Aug. 4th there will be a work session in the Boonton yard. starting at 7 AM. to 10 AM Capt. Bill will be running that. afterwards there will be an event meeting and when the meeting is over they will be having another work session running till late afternoon.

PM or Email or call me for more info.

thanks in advance hope to see every one that can make it. there will be more work sessions in the next few weeks day time, afternoon , evenings and weekends all sessions will be posted if we can. If your free let me know we have small one person jobs to bigger projects planned that need more then one person. If you have a few hours here and there will get you set up and Going. let me know ill get you more info.

Thanks

Larry Gross

(URHS Boonton yard foreman)
  by FullScale4Me

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:17 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Volunteerrailroaders] Urgent Boonton work day August 11th

Everyone,

There will be a very important work session at Boonton Yard next Saturday August 11th starting at 7am. The plan is to work all day but with a break in the middle of the day for a picnic hosted by the URHS for all the yard volunteers. The work that needs to be done includes yard clean up, installation of grills on the E and F unit, touch up paint on those units plus the GG1, plus other work that will need lots of hands.

This work session is being held in preparation for the Transportation Heritage Festival that the URHS is holding at the yard on September 16th.

Please put the date on your calendar and let me know if you can make it so we know we have enough food and tools to get all the work done. I can not stress enough how important this is for us to help with and look forward to seeing as many VRA members there as possible. If you can work all day or just a few hours please come out and volunteer.

Thanks,
KC Smith
URHS Vice President - Equipment