Railroad Forums 

• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#760895  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for posting news updates and discussion of preservation activities related to the United Railway Historical Society of New Jersey for 2010. If you have questions about their policies or other non-preservation activities, please start a new thread.

Official Web Site: http://urhs.org/
 #763111  by SGLX1202

2010 looks to be a good year for our efforts in Boonton. With 2 projects nearing completion, the PRR flat car and the RDG caboose, and the work being done to the E8's and GG1, things are shaping up. So as soon as the weather breaks and we can bear to be outside again, look for work sessions to be posted. Thanks to everyone who has, is continuing, and will be helping to restore this equiptment.

Steve Gerritsen
Boonton Yard Foreman
 #763292  by Otto Vondrak

SGLX1202 wrote:With 2 projects nearing completion, the PRR flat car and the RDG caboose...
Steve, have any pictures? Once these two projects are completed, what will happen to them? Destined for use or display at other museums in the region? Will there be future Open Houses at Boonton?

-otto-
 #763341  by SGLX1202

Next time i'm at the yard I'll take some pictures and post. Hope to see the caboose get used somewhere, not sure with the flat car at this point, but we'll see what comes up. As far as open houses, nothing at the moment.
 #763483  by NJT4272

Kaback9 wrote:I thought they were not allowed to hold open houses any more in the yard in Boonton.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 75#p691636
 #763707  by Btkspot89

Thank you Jeff for clearing that up... I wasn't sure about it either. The Boonton yard is indeed a hazard to all non volunteers.
 #764085  by Mr. Ed

Do any of the diesels at Boonton run?

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #764480  by Mr. Ed

For short consists, you only need one.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #764547  by Otto Vondrak

NJT4272 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I thought they were not allowed to hold open houses any more in the yard in Boonton.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 75#p691636
I forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

-otto-
 #765633  by SGLX1202

If it was up to me at the time it would have been. However the surface the deck sits on was primed at least, and a few boards already mounted, so rather than take them up we continued on. Not a big deal.
 #794729  by larry1090

Hello, Just a quick update were back in full swing up at the boonton yard with lots of things going on. The first big project was to clear the right of way with all the trees's that have fallen on the tracks and on one of the cars.
IMG00570-20100328-1747.jpg
We started working on the flat car again and are trying to get the boards done as soon as we can. Any one with any Free time, we could always use extra hands for this or any of our other projets were going to be working on this year. We are woking in the yard weekdays and weekends. The days we work on change so if you can help email me to be placed on the email work group email list or you can PM me on here also.

Other big news is the Fence is going in very soon. We had our last meeting with the fence company and Transit. We are looking foward to getting the yard Fenced in.
IMG00619-20100331-1546.jpg

Stay tuned for more update's from me and Steve as we get time to post them.

Remember Help is always needed Email or PM for more info.

Thanks
Larry Gross
Boonton Yard Foreman