• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by FullScale4Me

The MU Shed was where the Multiple Unit coaches were serviced.

Just prior to it's demolition the Volunteer Railroaders Association was invited by the URHS to salvage materials for the New Jersey Transportation Museum. Some pictures of that work session http://www.vratrips.org/gallery/MUshedwork/

Work Started in October 2000 and ended in February 2001. First work party post:
rft2786 wrote:Hoboken

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

On Saturday October 21st at 9 am the URHS will be getting together at the
Hoboken MU shed to clear it out in preparation for it's demolision. The
URHS has asked that anyone who might have a few hours to help out to come on
down. If you can make it please wear work type clothes and boots and bring
a hand truck if you have one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. To
get directions please call the URHS hotline.

Thanks,
KC
  by FullScale4Me

A site I maintain recently posted their newly created news page containing items from 2011 and 2012. A 'fair use' quote from the 2011 entry below:
"An agreement was signed between United Railroad Historical Society, Star Trak, Inc., and Bill McKelvey to construct a shop and storage building at the URHS Boonton Yard, funded through LHRy in exchange for work to be done by Star Trak on equipment owned by or to be donated to LHRy..."

"A 45 ton General Electric, diesel-electric locomotive, to be donated to LHRy, was acquired."
It was delivered to Boonton last month, see Boonton Restoration Yard Update for more Boonton news & images.

Last edited by FullScale4Me on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Mr. Ed

Cool, and with side rods still intact. Looks like it's in good shape. Good luck with it.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by Sid Farkus

FullScale4Me wrote:The MU Shed was where the Multiple Unit coaches were serviced.

Just prior to it's demolition the Volunteer Railroaders Association was invited by the URHS to salvage materials for the New Jersey Transportation Museum. Some pictures of that work session http://www.vratrips.org/gallery/MUshedwork/
Did the URHS ever use that shed for storage of their equipment? I know in the '90s I saw this passenger car inside the shed. I think it was around the same time that C&O 614 ran excursions so maybe it was temporarily stored there for those trips?

by FullScale4Me

Sid Farkus wrote: Did the URHS ever use that shed for storage of their equipment? ...
Yes. The MU Shed was utilized for the middle phase of the restoration of Hickory Creek. See Hickory Creek Restoration - pages 8-20 were actions inside the MU Shed.

Hickory Creek
Last edited by FullScale4Me on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by FullScale4Me

Sid Farkus wrote: ...I know in the '90s I saw this passenger car inside the shed. I think it was around the same time that C&O 614 ran excursions so maybe it was temporarily stored there for those trips?

From the URHS Equipment Roster page PRR 1547 entry:
...It was temporarily used as an "open window" coach on the 614 steam locomotive excursions in 1996 through 1998....
  by Sid Farkus

Was 1547 an "open window" coach because its restoration wasn't complete? I know I saw a video of that coach trailing on an excursion trip, and it didn't have any marker lights. Instead, there was just a portable blinking light placed in the vestibule. Back to my original point though. Was 1547 stored in the MU shed because it was just there to temporarily house the car during the excursions, or did the URHS actually work on it there like the Hickory Creek?
  by larry1090

there will be a work session in the yard this Sat. 4-21-12 after the meeting. In box me or call for more info. see you all there in the AM. for the meeting and see those coming for the work session.

Larry
  by cjvrr

I have seen the metal roofing material being installed on the new building over the last week. Great work!
  by larry1090

work session in the Boonton yard this Sat. 10 am on till ? PM me if you can make it or for more info.

thanks
Larry
  by NYSW2300

will you guys be working on the #802
  by FullScale4Me

NYSW2300 wrote:will you guys be working on the #802
I don't see 802 on the URHS of NJ roster http://www.urhs.org/roster.html
Last edited by FullScale4Me on Fri May 18, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by FullScale4Me

From the URHS Highlights for May 2012 on the VRA news blog
URHS Highlights for May 2012

by Joe Mele

I would like to update the VRA members on the URHS activity. Below are a couple of newsworthy items:

The Boonton Yard shop building construction has begun; hopefully the building will be completed in the next couple of months.

Star Trak is continuing to work on our equipment at Boonton yard.

URHS signed a lease agreement with the Black River Historical Trust for the Erie SW-9 #436. The locomotive was picked up by Norfolk Southern RR from the NY&GL Railway and interchanged in Garfield, NJ at the end of April. The BRHT will be using this locomotive for the 2012 operating season for their passenger trains on the Black River & Western Railroad.

Erie 436 in Ringos (below).

The Liberty Historic Railway (LHRy) will host an open meeting on Sunday, June 10, 2012 at Liberty State Park, in the Central RR of NJ, Jersey City Terminal, Blue Comet room. All members of the URHS member groups are invited to attend. more info

The following supplement was provided by Steve Gerritsen.

A shop has been erected in the URHS Boonton Yard over the past few months. At this time it is nearing completion, with only some roofing work and doors to be hung. Once completed, Star Trak can resume work on the URHS equipment, but in the mean time they are painting an engine for the Black River & Western. Since the last newsletter, the URHS has leased out Erie 436 to the Black River Historical Society. They will be making minor repairs and placing it into service on their passenger trips. Work continues in the yard to clear more brush and trees, to allow us better access to equipment. Brush is a never ending battle, but is necessary so we can get to the fun stuff: working on trains.
  by Jtgshu

I would just like to say that its refreshing to see some information actually getting out for a change.

Thanks fullscale4me!
  by larry1090

NYSW2300 wrote:will you guys be working on the #802

No we are not working on 802, thats an outside contract to Startrak. i'll post some pictures later. 802 is a lease Eng. from black river R.R.

Larry