Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1269774  by SteelRail

sd80mac wrote:
ANDY117 wrote:Amtrak 520 GP38H-3, an Amfleet diner, and P42 203 departed Binghamton at 1725 bound for Elmira to pick up a new Viewliner II. Supposedly leaving in the next couple days, I'll post when I find out when.

"A new ViewlinerII?? just one?? all of that for ONE new car?
According to a Facebook post, there are 20 cars.
 #1269943  by sd80mac

SteelRail wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
ANDY117 wrote:Amtrak 520 GP38H-3, an Amfleet diner, and P42 203 departed Binghamton at 1725 bound for Elmira to pick up a new Viewliner II. Supposedly leaving in the next couple days, I'll post when I find out when.

"A new ViewlinerII?? just one?? all of that for ONE new car?
According to a Facebook post, there are 20 cars.
It sounds better now... LOl...
 #1271161  by Matt Langworthy

There were reports of 2-3" of rain last Tuesday (5/13) and Wednseday (5/14) in the Canisteo River valley. The result was flooding at or near Cameron. NS apparently stopped trains there for a time on Wednesday until the water receeded.
 #1278738  by Matt Langworthy

FYI: H06 seems to be pulling out of Gang Mills somewhere between 6:30 and 7:30 PM these days, based on my own observations.
 #1283569  by Matt Langworthy

Is NS doing any major MOW work on the Tier this summer? Some years see more trackwork than others, so I'd like to know what is happening. it will help with palnning my vacation... which is less than a month away.
 #1283999  by Farmer Joe

Matt, since you didn't get a response, I can give you an "on the ground" report from the Darien area. This week has been quiet with no visible maintenance going on. They are removing the line side wires and poles along Erie St in Darien. Last week I saw a rail train on the siding in Alden. There also were three gons for old ties on the team track in Darien. They're gone now. Two were of Southern vintage. That's all I can tell you from this area. The Tier does seem to come alive after 7:00pm on weekdays, so there must be work going on.
 #1284318  by Matt Langworthy

Farmer Joe wrote:Matt, since you didn't get a response, I can give you an "on the ground" report from the Darien area. This week has been quiet with no visible maintenance going on. They are removing the line side wires and poles along Erie St in Darien. Last week I saw a rail train on the siding in Alden. There also were three gons for old ties on the team track in Darien. They're gone now. Two were of Southern vintage. That's all I can tell you from this area. The Tier does seem to come alive after 7:00pm on weekdays, so there must be work going on.
Thank you, sir. Although my nostalgic side feels a slight twinge from losing the poles, my pragmatic photographer side loves the idea of an open ROW.
 #1284608  by chuxter26

The Strates Carnival train is being delivered to the NYS&W today in Port Jervis by the NS 056.....The run to Binghamton should happen in the early afternoon.....
 #1284777  by Railking

TS-33 tie gang will start on Monday. Gang will start in Corning and be working west. Not sure on the exact end of the job but we have 51 miles of ties to put in.
 #1284893  by Matt Langworthy

Railking wrote:TS-33 tie gang will start on Monday. Gang will start in Corning and be working west. Not sure on the exact end of the job but we have 51 miles of ties to put in.
Thank you for the update. What is the daily work window? Will the tie gang be working on weekends?
 #1284986  by sd80mac

Railking wrote:TS-33 tie gang will start on Monday. Gang will start in Corning and be working west. Not sure on the exact end of the job but we have 51 miles of ties to put in.
I'm not familiar with milepost on ST... being 51 miles, I would assume that will go thru Hornell, right?
 #1284991  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:
I'm not familiar with milepost on ST... being 51 miles, I would assume that will go thru Hornell, right?
IIRC, CP Erwin (west end of Gang Mills Yard) is MP 293. According to Bing maps, Hornell is about 46 miles west of there. I am guessing the tie job will end somewhere in the vicnity of Hornell or maybe Arkport.