Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1285139  by Mike Stellpflug

Matt Langworthy wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
Railking wrote:TS-33 tie gang will start on Monday. Gang will start in Corning and be working west. Not sure on the exact end of the job but we have 51 miles of ties to put in.
I'm not familiar with milepost on ST... being 51 miles, I would assume that will go thru Hornell, right?
IIRC, CP Erwin (west end of Gang Mills Yard) is MP 293. According to Bing maps, Hornell is about 46 miles west of there. I am guessing the tie job will end somewhere in the vicnity of Hornell or maybe Arkport.

Hornell is at MP331. The work should go as far as MP344, which is at Canaseraga, assuming Gang Mills is the starting point.

MP331:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@ ... 1242582688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MP343:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@ ... 1870667385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1285173  by Railking

We've heard rumor of an outage from 7am to 3pm Monday through Thursday. That's still up in the air at this point. Last year, while working Gang Mills east, we had an outage everyday from 7-2. It's nice change of pace from working 12-14 hours per day for the last 4 months. No weekend work in terms of the whole gang being out. We are also replacing about 300,000 anchors which is kind of out of the ordinary for us. There's probably a good chance that some anchor installation work will go on during the weekends to try to get ahead of our gang a little bit.
 #1285392  by Matt Langworthy

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Hornell is at MP331. The work should go as far as MP344, which is at Canaseraga, assuming Gang Mills is the starting point.

MP331:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@ ... 1242582688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MP343:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@ ... 1870667385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railking wrote:We've heard rumor of an outage from 7am to 3pm Monday through Thursday. That's still up in the air at this point. Last year, while working Gang Mills east, we had an outage everyday from 7-2. It's nice change of pace from working 12-14 hours per day for the last 4 months. No weekend work in terms of the whole gang being out. We are also replacing about 300,000 anchors which is kind of out of the ordinary for us. There's probably a good chance that some anchor installation work will go on during the weekends to try to get ahead of our gang a little bit.
Thank you both very much. This will help with my vacation plans, which hopefully will include a day or two trackside with the Tier.
 #1287266  by Matt Langworthy

Has the MOW project started yet? If so, how far has it progressed? I am looking for updates as I am hoping to spend a vacation day with the Tier soon.
 #1287484  by Railking

As of Wednesday evening, we are at MP 305. We've been getting a good window every day from about 7a to 5p. We generally do 2-3 miles a day with a window like that.
 #1287601  by Matt Langworthy

sallenparks wrote:Matt my dad said its all the way to Addison. Things are pretty quit around here (Elmira) until about 4 or 5. But does change.
Railking wrote:As of Wednesday evening, we are at MP 305. We've been getting a good window every day from about 7a to 5p. We generally do 2-3 miles a day with a window like that.
This information is greatly appreciated. It looks I will go with Plan B for my time off.
 #1289479  by Matt Langworthy

The NS tie gang was near CP Cam (Canisteo RIver Road crossing in West Cameron) on Thursday 8/21 and I also spotted a MOW crew doing some work in Rathbone on Saturday 8/23.
 #1291057  by Matt Langworthy

I'm guessing the tie gang should get to Hornell pretty soon, because they were already in West Cameron on August 22nd.
 #1291600  by Railking

We will be working between Horn and Cam by Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning if I were to guess. Track time has been pretty good. Generally, we have an outage from 8a to 5p minds through Thursday.
 #1294006  by poppyl

Heads up for anyone watching the Tier this weekend. NS suffered a major derailment at CP Altoona earlier today. At this point the entire mainline (90+ trains daily) is shut down there and at least some traffic is being diverted up the NKP and down the Tier to Binghamton. I expect most traffic out of Binghamton will go down the D&H to Sunbury but some could cut off in Wilkes Barre and head to Allentown. IMO, lower probability that any traffic will spill over to the Eastern Tier.

Poppyl
 #1294015  by malfunctjct

At this time, it looks like there are 3 detours heading for the Tier. 1 westbound and 2 eastbounds. First westbound (I1E) **should** be in Binghamton before sunrise Sunday. The eastbounds aren't even close to Buffalo yet. Wait and see what actually happens with them. Will be a great day to be along the Tier tomorrow.