• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

malfunctjct wrote:At this time, it looks like there are 3 detours heading for the Tier. 1 westbound and 2 eastbounds. First westbound (I1E) **should** be in Binghamton before sunrise Sunday. The eastbounds aren't even close to Buffalo yet. Wait and see what actually happens with them. Will be a great day to be along the Tier tomorrow.
Thanks very much for the heads-up......I may have to get my camera out. :-)

Charlie
  by poppyl

malfunctjct wrote:At this time, it looks like there are 3 detours heading for the Tier. 1 westbound and 2 eastbounds. First westbound (I1E) **should** be in Binghamton before sunrise Sunday. The eastbounds aren't even close to Buffalo yet. Wait and see what actually happens with them. Will be a great day to be along the Tier tomorrow.
Just curious, is the westbound coming out of Allentown or Harrisburg? Thanks.

Poppyl
  by malfunctjct

poppyl wrote:
Just curious, is the westbound coming out of Allentown or Harrisburg? Thanks.

Poppyl
Looks like one from both right now with more in the works. The Tier will be busy tomorrow...
  by Mike Stellpflug

21E detour is of special interest since it has the IT 1072 heritage unit leading.
  by poppyl

Bet the NS schedulers have been burning the midnight oil this weekend matching high priority shipments with qualified and available crews. Reports from Altoona indicate that this situation may extend into tomorrow.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

The detours on the Tier ended yesterday afternoon when NS reopened a track in Altoona.
  by Matt Langworthy

Former TIOC locos #506 and #14 were spotted in the Gang Mills yard yesterday. The Alcos are in transit to their new owner- the LA&L.
  by pumpers

From some of the Yahoo sites, it sounds like NS is at or near meltdown at Binghamton, especially for things heading to or coming from the south on the D&H (ex DLW to Scranton and then beyond..) due to lack of crews - in one case taking 3 days or more to get a train from Allentown over the RMBN and then D&H to Binghamton due to lack of NS crews...
JS
  by poppyl

I wonder what the CP Binghamton crew situation is ?

Poppyl
  by johnpbarlow

NS has some conductor trainees running on at least the CP Sunbury Sub. The meltdown on the CP Sunbury Sub this week was due primarily to a couple heavy trains pulled by an insufficient number of functioning NS locomotives. This led to parking and light engine rescue attempts and other creative techniques to keep CP and NS trains moving at the expense of the available crews.
  by Matt Langworthy

NS ran an extra section of 206 (symbol I06) on Saturday. Are extra sections common for 205 and 206?
  by johnpbarlow

Matt Langworthy wrote:NS ran an extra section of 206 (symbol I06) on Saturday. Are extra sections common for 205 and 206?
My guess from following NS Southern Tier, D&H, and Pan Am Yahoo forums is that there might be a few extra eb & wb auto rack trains per month. It may be due to MBTA weekend track closures in the Ayer area that can cause 24+ hour delays to inbound/outbound intermodal and rack trains.
  by Matt Langworthy

Ah, that would make sense. Thank you.

BTW, the Attica-Linden passing siding has been a good location to see meets the last couple of Saturdays. The eastbounds are especially enjoyable to hear when they climb up the grade east of Attica.
  by sallenparks

There's a FerroMex ES4400 siting in the Elmira yard right now about the Fourth different FerroMex engine or so on the tier. The autos and stacks are good size trains some times solid with a refill for locos right behind the newish Walmart it makes for easy grab shots off filo road. always fun on the tier.