Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1197065  by K4Pacific

An NS SD80MAC leading 13T today in the rain.
 #1197705  by SST

Last night I was trying to chase a thunderstorm but couldn't catch up to it. So I gave up and was going to turn for home. But then a big stroke of lightning changed my mind and I headed south on Schwartz in Lancaster NY. I crossed over the CSX mainline and eventually crossed the NS line. Schwartz Rd is MP410. As I slowly crossed the track, I looked west were the signal is mp411 and it was a steady green. For the first time in nearly 40 years of crossing over the line, I saw it lit. I only cross it a few times a year and not usually at night.

The interesting thing about this crossing is the auto repair shop next to the RR. Its parking lot light is huge and extremely bright. I had always wondered how the train crews saw the signal when competing with the parking lot lamp. But last night I got that answer too. The green signal is big and very bright. When I crossed the track I immediately knew it was the RR signal. This crossing is the same one I took pictures of and posted on the previous page.

If it wasn't for the stroke of lightning, I would have missed it. As I approached the signal, it went dark. Bum deal as no train came along.

They are also dropping new ties along the line and their was a pile of stone nearby.
 #1200963  by SST

I struck gold again today. With a relative staying in a "home" nearby, my routing always takes me along the NS Southern Tier Line on Erie St from Lancaster to Two Rod Rd. As I crossed the tracks [about 412] I started looking for the signal at 411. No such luck. As I got closer, I could see flashing yellow lights along the track as I got closer to Cemetary Rd overpass. EVentually I saw the eastbound light red. Westbound was red also. At 408, both upper and lower were solid red and dark on the other side. About an hour later, the signal at 408 was solid yellow over solid red [eastbound] and the track crew were all bunched together at Swartz [410] for lunch. Tie replacement has begun.

There must have been 15 pieces of equipment on the line. They are moving east. They should be near or past Two Rod Rd as of this writing. I pity those guys working in 90 degree heat. Not fun to be work'in on the railroad! But it was fasinating to watch. I didn't pull over for long as I didn't want to annoy them with some guy watching. A distraction could get them caught in the equipment. Hydraulics are not nice.

Here are a couple of pics. I have video but I'll post those later. The computer doesn't like cell phone video.

This picture was taken as I approached in between Cemetary Rd overpass and Pavement.

This is an amusing piece of equipment. It wasn't moving when I snapped the pic. I have no clue what it's for. Clue me in!

This guy was working the ballast.

The machine was aligning the track I assume. He'd pick up the entire track, tamp down the ballast and place the track back down. Loved watching this one.

This one was putting ties under the track. The same type of machine in front of this guy was pulling the old ties out.

Further up were spike guys and other crews dropping ties along side. Don't want to imaging being a gandy dancer 150 years ago.
 #1201008  by ANDY117

SteelRail wrote:I noticed last night that signal 223W was dark. Normally the signal is lit. Is NS now using approach lighting, or did I observe a malfunction?

Signal 220W is also dark now (has been for the past 2 weeks or so), so it looks like NS has gone back to approach lighting. Not sure about 220E or 231W since they're the distant signals for CP-217 and CP-233 respectively. One of these days I'll venture out and see what's up at 226 and 229 as well.
 #1206153  by SST

With my driving through the area a lot more often [mp410] I noticed something the other day, and went back today to verify what I saw before posting here.

While driving along the line hoping to catch a train, I noticed that the MP are not what I expected near the test mile section from Swartz Rd west to Pavement in Lancaster. See this link: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.90349,-78 ... aster%20NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Swartz Rd [A], the signal has a 410 sign attached to it. The sign for "begin test mile" is there also. But then when I get to Pavement it it also says 410. The sign for End Test mile is +/- a hundred feet after Pavement headed west. There is no MP411 marker. But MP 412 is further up at {C].

Is this second MP410 an error or because it falls within 1 mile of the original 410? How accurate are MP?
 #1222127  by alsorailfan

On the way to Horseheads Sunday (10/13) somewhere east of Corning, spotted an eastbound work train with orange/red equipment. Tried to get off I-86 ahead of the train but it was moving way faster than I thought so didn't get a picture of it. (Couldn't get back on the same exit without serious back tracking so followed a road east which took me past Curtis(?) or some war plane museum for those who know the area and where I got off FYI)

Chris
 #1223985  by Missyg24

alsorailfan wrote:On the way to Horseheads Sunday (10/13) somewhere east of Corning, spotted an eastbound work train with orange/red equipment. Tried to get off I-86 ahead of the train but it was moving way faster than I thought so didn't get a picture of it. (Couldn't get back on the same exit without serious back tracking so followed a road east which took me past Curtis(?) or some war plane museum for those who know the area and where I got off FYI)

Chris
where you near the airport?
 #1228986  by SST

I have had terrible luck trying to catch a train out of Buffalo through Lancaster. Just poor timing on my part I guess. Haven't seen a train for a month. Well, last night [6:40pm] I got my fix. As I was headed east on Erie St in Lancaster and as I crossed over the tracks, I looked down the row and could clearly see the signal. Solid green. I looked in my rearview mirror and I could see the train coming. So I pulled over at the sginal [+/- MP410.5] and waited for him to catch up.

The gates came down and as he passed by, I accelerated to keep up with him. 3 engines pulling a long train of piggy back trailers. To keep up, I was doing 47mph but had to stop at Ransom Rd. I had to race to catch up then stop again. Accelerated again but didn't try to catch up with the enignes. As we went around the bend, I could see the signal at Town Line Rd. From a distance, it looked like Green over Red. I had to stop at Town line becasue there is no more eastward movement without crossing the track. So, I waited until the entire train passed before heading home. As the 4th or 5th car passed this crossing, the signal changed from Green over Red to Red over Red.

Erie st is a great road to chase on especially due to the close proximity of the row to the road.