Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

Bill D wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:I wonder what the general temperature of the demeanor of the NHL passengers is with all this. I think the most angered people are railfans who want to see steam engines pulling Acela coaches through New Canaan. From my experiences NHL passengers are rather well adjusted to these things, as it seems to always happen on their line!
I returned on the 5:08 pm train. I made sure I was at GCT early to avoid problems. The train board was only showing track assignments for one or two New Haven Line trains at a time. A crowd was gathering with their eyes fixed on the board, so I made my way close to a platform entry near the middle of the concourse. About 20 minutes before departure the board displayed track 25, and fortunately, I was next to that doorway. There was a rush of humanity to the platform ( many people utilizing the bar carts made their purchases ahead of time)...

...Oh yes, as a railfan, if Metro North could borrow a Budd car or the Mack railbus from DRM for the Waterbury branch, I might utilize that!

Bill
Pardon the parsing:

Train board: this is what LIRR/NJT/Amtrak riders do every day at Penn. It is hilarious to watch. I don't suppose some of them came up to offer tips...

Budd Car: yes please. Better yet, an SPV-2000.
  by Amtrak7

Will MNR need to de-energize the temporary segment in order to bring the Mount Vernon substation back on line and perform commissioning/testing? I have a feeling they will, and that either the Tuesday service announcement will come really late at night or the Monday evening rush will be reduced from what's being offered this week.
  by CTRailfan

DutchRailnut wrote:no that is correct, off peak MN is only running Harmon/Poughkeepsie shuttles till next Monday.
south of Harmon passengers are moved in mostly M-8 or M-2/4/6 on express trains.
If there's no run-through at all, then somewhere around 6-10 Maxi sets are MIA.
Amtrak7 wrote:Will MNR need to de-energize the temporary segment in order to bring the Mount Vernon substation back on line and perform commissioning/testing? I have a feeling they will, and that either the Tuesday service announcement will come really late at night or the Monday evening rush will be reduced from what's being offered this week.
They could do it off-peak or over a weekend. If they wanted to, they could run full weekend schedule with Maxis.
  by lirr42

I don't know about you folks, but some good news came across my internet browser today:
WNBC wrote:Full Service on Metro-North New Haven Line to Return Monday: MTA

Full service on the Metro-North New Haven line will be restored on Monday, pending successful tests this weekend, according to the MTA.

“Full service to the MTA Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line will be restored Monday morning, assuming the new substation which received Con Edison power today is found reliable during our testing over the weekend,” MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said in a statement.

Metro-North's New Haven line was crippled during morning rush hour last Wednesday after a Con Edison feeder cable failed, causing the rail line to lose power between Grand Central Terminal and Stamford, Conn.
Hopefully it will be a successful weekend of tests. As you may know, this weekend's schedules allow for no scheduled electric trains and two maxi-bombs an hour through the affected area, so hopefully things will go well.
  by Jeff Smith

Appropriate avatar for this thread donated by anonymous source illustrating the cause of the outage (now, don't go posting a load of avatars, it was just too funny to pass up):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Backshophoss

That pic in poster form,should be hung in Con Ed's Boardroom and in the CEO's office! :P
  by Amtrak7

The way the Con Ed press release puts it, the feeder that was taken offline for upgrade is the one that's been reconnected and will be powering trains on Monday. I guess the broken one is still broken.
  by Tommy Meehan

I wondered about that, which feeder was being put back on line. It does sound like it's the one that was taken OOS for maintenance.

Good solution.
  by MBTA1016

Jeff Smith wrote:Appropriate avatar for this thread donated by anonymous source illustrating the cause of the outage (now, don't go posting a load of avatars, it was just too funny to pass up):
That's epic Jeff. That made my day
  by farecard

Tommy Meehan wrote:I wondered about that, which feeder was being put back on line. It does sound like it's the one that was taken OOS for maintenance.

Good solution.
For now. But they still have to fix the failed feeder, and then take this one offline for whatever was originally scheduled....
  by redline43

DutchRailnut wrote:no that is correct, off peak MN is only running Harmon/Poughkeepsie shuttles till next Monday.
south of Harmon passengers are moved in mostly M-8 or M-2/4/6 on express trains.
I rode the 9:54 off peak inbound from Poughkeepsie yesterday and we ran all the way through to GCT, are they doing this on an "as-needed" basis?
  by lirr42

Mr. Redline, the demand for maxi-bomb sets is less on weekends with the hourly service. Looking at the schedule, three maxi-bombs would be sufficient presuming they are running MU's through from NHV and not Maxi's.
  by DutchRailnut

and on weekends the Danbury bombs can be used.
  by MBTA1016

Backshophoss wrote:That pic in poster form,should be hung in Con Ed's Boardroom and in the CEO's office! :P
Send it to Con Ed for a Christmas gift hoss :). In all seriousness is it fair to expect near normal service Monday. I don't plan on visiting CT Monday since ill be in school.