Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TacSupport1

Wouldn't there be some sort of redundancy in place for situations like this? Couldn't they use diesel locomotives to try and shuttle, or are those too rare are rush hour on the New Haven line?

This has not been a good year for MNRR New Haven line customers. Hope they get this fixed ASAP.
  by MNCRR9000

New update is that that are doing to run very limited service using diesel equipment.

Hourly E/B Service from GCT to STM making all local stops beginning at 9:10AM.
Hourly W/B Service from STM making all local stops to GCT beginning at 9AM.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/25/ ... r-problem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by fl9m2004

I wonder why metro north and amtrak don't connect at new rochelle and get people to gct that way
  by Clean Cab

Boy, the hits just keep on coming!! What a terrible year for MN!!!
  by ThirdRail7

fl9m2004 wrote:I wonder why metro north and amtrak don't connect at new rochelle and get people to gct that way
If there is no power between Stamford and GCT, that would include New Rochelle. Amtrak can not get through without diesels.
  by Tadman

MNCRR9000 wrote:Just heard that service between Stamford and Grand Central is suspended due to the loss of a Con Edison feeder cable.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23523042/m ... suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where's Chuckles Schumer when you need him? We should have a Metro North person on the board at ConEd.
  by fl9m2004

I wonder if the 3 car with 127 could be used on the New Cannan branch until power comes back on
  by lirr42

103 coming to an M8's rescue after it became stranded near New Rochelle:
(Photo credit: WABC/@MarcusSolis7)

This leads me to believe that the problem getting sufficient alternate service back up is more than just a lack of engines and coaches...we don't know how many M2/M4/M6/M8's are littered around the NHL stranded and blocking trains paths. There might be only one or two paths through certain areas, which will more than likely hamper service.
  by lirr42

Not sure if its related or not (I doubt it) but NJTransit and Amtrak are experiencing 20 minute delays between SEC and NYP also due to "power problems."
  by lirr42

fl9m2004 wrote:I wonder if the 3 car with 127 could be used on the New Cannan branch until power comes back on
As per @MetroNorth, New Canaan Branch train service is operating on or close to schedule with electrics (problem is west of STM)
  by truck6018

TacSupport1 wrote:Wouldn't there be some sort of redundancy in place for situations like this? Couldn't they use diesel locomotives to try and shuttle, or are those too rare are rush hour on the New Haven line?
Simply put, no. Diesels are at a premium especially during rush hour.
  by Saugatuck

I am currently on the delayed 11 am train STM to GCT. We appear to have dumped brakes between Cos Cob and Greenwich and are stopped.
  by Darien Red Sox

Things were a mess this morning even from New Have to Stamford. It took over two hours for a train to show up at my station that was taking passengers. A am sure that Metro North will be getting plenty of emails on how this was handled. And if you think Metro North was bad, 95 was ever worse because of all of the extra traffic.
  by Amtrak7

This is a major incident, not just something that throws one rush hour down the toilet. At the bottom of the latest update:
At this time, a train/bus shuttle service is being developed that would begin for the AM Peak on Thursday, September 26, 2013.