Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ACeInTheHole

Dont take the bait rearofsignal.. You know exactly whats gonna happen.
  by Head-end View

And to think Metro-North is widely regarded as being superior to the LIRR. This year's experiences may change that public perception.

Years ago, didn't most electrified railroads have their own generating stations to produce their own power, which was thought to be more dependable than commercial power? Maybe they should've stuck to that theory, but I guess that was more expensive.
  by kitn1mcc

I hope the state Regulators Stick it hard to Coned over this. Coned has a large history of Delaying and not doing Maint and other preventive measures.

in CT the Feeders are Mounted on the Cat poles or on Poles along the ROW Owned by UI and then NU. most of all the system is over head. At the UI we been doing massive over hauls to make all the system more reliable
  by ACeInTheHole

My bad NH2060 and lirr.. I missed your bit of the post there in bold, i just saw the worse than bridgeport part, illre ad you more careefully from here out. Thanks for the ConEd lesson there guys. I understand better now.
  by Amtrak7

NH2060 wrote:-If you need to travel in between any of these separate zones (for example Larchmont and Riverside) you're out of luck?
The train from the north that terminates at Rye will originate at Stamford, so if you're going to Greenwich from the east no busing is necessary.

Reverse peak service will make all stops (transfer at Stamford).

If you're commuting from the east to Harrison-Mt Vernon East, looks like you'll have to take Bee-Line from Rye. But they haven't posted the PDF schedules yet, there might be limited local buses from Rye to Harrison.
  by NHAirLine

RearOfSignal wrote:You won't see and BL20's on passenger revenue trains into GCT. They can't pull more than 3 cars anyway. I've used BL20s to pull 6 M8s plus another BL20 on the other side. It's a haul! And that's with no HEP.

Consider too that the P32's run on diesel and will need to be fueled. I doubt the New Haven line yards could handle fueling the entire diesel fleet as some have suggested. MNR has all of these things factored into the regular schedule and equipment turns, so to undo all of this would be a large undertaking in such a short time. So it's not this "let's just send more trains" mentality that some expect to happen.
They could figure out how to fuel the P32's. Send them to NHV mid-day if needed to fuel up for the evening rush... Clearly, no one could find diesel fuel at NHV... Yeah, the BL20s probably aren't such a good idea. The CDOT P40's could do 12 cars (they wouldn't be able to get out of their own way, but they would work), but the P32's are enough to use up the whole Shoreliner fleet anyways. They should put a dozen regular Maxi-Bombs on local service, and run a dozen Maxi-Bombs running express STM-125-GCT. They have 221 Shoreliners, figure 200 are in service, that would give them a dozen 7-car Maxi's for local service, and a dozen 7-car Maxi's for express service, leaving ~32 cars for Upper Hudson/Harlem service. They could cancel SLE west of NHV to not contribute to the chaos at STM, and east of OSB to save a set, and they have 33 Mafersa's, they need 12 to do SLE service with 3-car sets, figure 27-30 are in service, that leaves ~17, put 3 on Waterbury, make 3 ~6 car trains or 4 ~4 car trains for Danbury. Locomotives aren't the issue, they could use up every last coach that can run, and still have diesels sitting in the yard...
  by lirr42

NHAirLine wrote:They could figure out how to fuel the P32's. Send them to NHV mid-day if needed to fuel up for the evening rush... Clearly, no one could find diesel fuel at NHV... Yeah, the BL20s probably aren't such a good idea. The CDOT P40's could do 12 cars (they wouldn't be able to get out of their own way, but they would work), but the P32's are enough to use up the whole Shoreliner fleet anyways. They should put a dozen regular Maxi-Bombs on local service, and run a dozen Maxi-Bombs running express STM-125-GCT. They have 221 Shoreliners, figure 200 are in service, that would give them a dozen 7-car Maxi's for local service, and a dozen 7-car Maxi's for express service, leaving ~32 cars for Upper Hudson/Harlem service. They could cancel SLE west of NHV to not contribute to the chaos at STM, and east of OSB to save a set, and they have 33 Mafersa's, they need 12 to do SLE service with 3-car sets, figure 27-30 are in service, that leaves ~17, put 3 on Waterbury, make 3 ~6 car trains or 4 ~4 car trains for Danbury. Locomotives aren't the issue, they could use up every last coach that can run, and still have diesels sitting in the yard...
See, now that's more based in facts and numbers. While it still won't work, you're taking a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, we cannot abandon the H&H riders. They represent a substantial amount of riders too and bringing them down with the NHL will only make conditions into and out of GCT more hectic and more uncomfortable.

MN is doing everything they can to the best of their ability to maximize the amount of trains they can run. They're not intentionally cheating out the NHL riders because they want to, there's only so much that can be done.
  by Backshophoss

As the Cos Cob power plant was on it's last legs in the early to late '70's,ConnDOT started the conversion from 11kv 25hz power to
12.5kv 60hz power from CL&P,Con Ed,and UI. the conversion was done in sections as the catenary replacement work is done now.
It was common that New Haven line delays were caused by the failing power plant before the M-2's went online back then.
  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:But they haven't posted the PDF schedules yet, there might be limited local buses from Rye to Harrison.
.pdf schedules still haven't been posted online...makes me think MN's going to take a "show up and wait" approach for tomorrow.
  by BenH

DutchRailnut wrote:The ConEd Feeder that got hit is a 137Kv oil filled cable, one of two cables feeding the New York portion of New Haven line.
other cable is down for upgrades by ConEd
The damaged cable needs oil drained and partly frozen to do repairs, time estimate is 2 to 3 weeks.
This information would suggest that management at ConEd and MetroNorth made a decision to gamble that the one active cable would remain operational while ConEd upgraded the other cable -- and they lost the bet. Monday morning quarterbacks might ask why ConEd didn't install a temporary backup cable before they took one of the two critical cables out of service. If course this is easier said than done and it surely would have cost major dollars.

Every hospital and internet hub is fed by redundant high voltage power cables. If one set goes down the other takes over. If both go down then the generators take over. In Metro North's case if you operate with only working feed into the substation then you're dead if you lose your working feeder cable.

It'll be interesting to see what steps if any Metro North decided to take to prevent a situation like this from happening again.
  by Amtrak7

lirr42 wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:But they haven't posted the PDF schedules yet, there might be limited local buses from Rye to Harrison.
.pdf schedules still haven't been posted online...makes me think MN's going to take a "show up and wait" approach for tomorrow.
The schedules are online, in darn electronic format. AM rush departures from...

New Haven to Stamford: 4:10 4:39 5:04 5:29 6:04 6:29 6:54 7:19 7:44 8:09 8:34 9:20 9:45
Stamford to GCT: 5:10 5:50 6:15 6:44 7:05 7:30 7:55 8:20 8:45
Stamford to Rye: 5:16 5:53 6:18 6:41 7:07 7:32 7:57 8:22 8:47 9:12
Harrison to GCT: 5:05 5:35 6:05 6:30 6:55 7:20 7:45 8:10 8:35 9:00
New Canaan to Stamford: 5:31 7:12 7:57 8:52 9:35

Reverse peak out of GCT on the :10 and :40 from 5:40am onwards.
  by NHAirLine

lirr42 wrote:
NHAirLine wrote:They could figure out how to fuel the P32's. Send them to NHV mid-day if needed to fuel up for the evening rush... Clearly, no one could find diesel fuel at NHV... Yeah, the BL20s probably aren't such a good idea. The CDOT P40's could do 12 cars (they wouldn't be able to get out of their own way, but they would work), but the P32's are enough to use up the whole Shoreliner fleet anyways. They should put a dozen regular Maxi-Bombs on local service, and run a dozen Maxi-Bombs running express STM-125-GCT. They have 221 Shoreliners, figure 200 are in service, that would give them a dozen 7-car Maxi's for local service, and a dozen 7-car Maxi's for express service, leaving ~32 cars for Upper Hudson/Harlem service. They could cancel SLE west of NHV to not contribute to the chaos at STM, and east of OSB to save a set, and they have 33 Mafersa's, they need 12 to do SLE service with 3-car sets, figure 27-30 are in service, that leaves ~17, put 3 on Waterbury, make 3 ~6 car trains or 4 ~4 car trains for Danbury. Locomotives aren't the issue, they could use up every last coach that can run, and still have diesels sitting in the yard...
See, now that's more based in facts and numbers. While it still won't work, you're taking a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, we cannot abandon the H&H riders. They represent a substantial amount of riders too and bringing them down with the NHL will only make conditions into and out of GCT more hectic and more uncomfortable.

MN is doing everything they can to the best of their ability to maximize the amount of trains they can run. They're not intentionally cheating out the NHL riders because they want to, there's only so much that can be done.
I could see the logic behind the idea that the NHL is the one that's messed up, so it should take the hit, and the upper H&H shouldn't have any issues, but they really need to share the pain. The upper H&H are relatively small commuter operations, the NHL is the biggest in North America. If my plan has too much overcrowding on the upper H&H lines, then maybe pull some of the Maxi's down to 6 cars, so you have a few more for the upper H&H, although 6 trains at 5 cars each isn't that shabby to cover Upper H&H. They could also send some M-8's over to the lower H&H lines, although they probably have enough M-3/M-7 cars to replace the Maxi's with EMUs to Southeast/Croton to connect to the upper shuttles. SLE has 14 locos. Let's say 11 are in service, use 4 for SLE, 4 for Dbury, 1 for Wbury, they'd have 2 more, they could send 2 P40's over to the upper Hudson to run some longer trains up there (based on pulling the mainline Maxi's to 6 cars), although I don't think that would buy anything, as they have plenty of BL20's, even if they had to double them up...

And to address the post above about getting more diesels, the math bears out that the issue is coaches, not locomotives. They have 12 BL20's assume 10 in service, you could cover 5 Upper H&H trains with doubled-up units, and then 2 more with P40's. Given that, this situation could soak up a ton more coaches. Put the express Maxi's to 12 cars (P32 HEP can do 16), that's 12x5=60 + 8 car P40 trains on Dbury = 4x4 =16 + 16 more for upper H&H, and that's 92 more coaches that could be used with the current motive power available. And the Shoreliners can hook up with the Mafersas, although that obviously limits them out of 3rd rail territory. My plan is so coach limited, that it still leaves 3 or 4 P32's sitting in a yard somewhere, although all other diesel power would be utilized in one way or another. In reality, it would be better to send the P32's to the upper H&H, and have the BL20's available for yard/rescue/towing.
  by NH2060

NHAirLine wrote:I could see the logic behind the idea that the NHL is the one that's messed up, so it should take the hit, and the upper H&H shouldn't have any issues, but they really need to share the pain. The upper H&H are relatively small commuter operations, the NHL is the biggest in North America. If my plan has too much overcrowding on the upper H&H lines, then maybe pull some of the Maxi's down to 6 cars, so you have a few more for the upper H&H, although 6 trains at 5 cars each isn't that shabby to cover Upper H&H. They could also send some M-8's over to the lower H&H lines, although they probably have enough M-3/M-7 cars to replace the Maxi's with EMUs to Southeast/Croton to connect to the upper shuttles. SLE has 14 locos. Let's say 11 are in service, use 4 for SLE, 4 for Dbury, 1 for Wbury, they'd have 2 more, they could send 2 P40's over to the upper Hudson to run some longer trains up there (based on pulling the mainline Maxi's to 6 cars), although I don't think that would buy anything, as they have plenty of BL20's, even if they had to double them up...
1) I do see where you're getting at, but a better idea might be to simply truncate all Upper Hudson Service @ Croton and Upper Harlem Maxis and either replace their slots south of those points with whatever extra MU equipment is available or reshuffle/configure existing consists. And if that isn't feasible then there's just nothing else they can do other than ride this out. Remember a good amount of New Haven Line customers will be using the Harlem Line so if seats (and therefore cars) are going to be removed from the H&H then there better at least be enough room for the regular commuting crowds + extra NHL customers to just fit inside each train.

2) Don't forget if something goes wrong with SLE they need their backup equipment to be put into service STAT. Now could a few extra MAFERSAs and 1 spare Geep/P40/BL20 be used for a special Waterbury shuttle (and another for a Danbury shuttle)? That could conceivably work as all that equipment is properly equipped cab signal-wise, etc.
And to address the post above about getting more diesels, the math bears out that the issue is coaches, not locomotives. They have 12 BL20's assume 10 in service, you could cover 5 Upper H&H trains with doubled-up units, and then 2 more with P40's. Given that, this situation could soak up a ton more coaches. Put the express Maxi's to 12 cars (P32 HEP can do 16), that's 12x5=60 + 8 car P40 trains on Dbury = 4x4 =16 + 16 more for upper H&H, and that's 92 more coaches that could be used with the current motive power available. And the Shoreliners can hook up with the Mafersas, although that obviously limits them out of 3rd rail territory. My plan is so coach limited, that it still leaves 3 or 4 P32's sitting in a yard somewhere, although all other diesel power would be utilized in one way or another. In reality, it would be better to send the P32's to the upper H&H, and have the BL20's available for yard/rescue/towing.
1) The P32s really can't handle any more cars at one time. Now if they were to bracket 12 cars akin to SLE's 2011 Sailfest Fireworks Extra with one P32 on each end then the burden would be equal or less than that of current Maxi consists. But at this point 6-7 sets every 25 minutes are just fine and will at least provide as frequent service as possible and if something were to go wrong with one of the Maxis a substitute set will be sorely needed.

2) IIRC there are more coaches than P32s to pull them. With the ex-WOH rebuilds and ex-SLE coaches added to the equipment pool there's more Shoreliners to go around than before they were added.
beanbag wrote:My bad NH2060 and lirr.. I missed your bit of the post there in bold, i just saw the worse than bridgeport part, illre ad you more careefully from here out. Thanks for the ConEd lesson there guys. I understand better now.
Please, MISTER NH2060 is my father. Call me "Phantom FL-9" ;-) :-P
  by lirr42

Going eastbound there's through service to State Street all day. Wonder why.