Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by farecard

keyboardkat wrote: The original transmission lines from Cos Cob were 22,000 volts, not 137,000. One of the supposed advantages of using 60 Hz commercial power is that you don't have to have your own transmission lines. The substations can be fed directly from the commercial power grid.
If only it was that simple....
  • The cat is a single phase load; the power grid is 3 phase
  • Utilities *hate* intermittent loads, much less LARGE intermittent ones
In short, it almost needs dedicated transmission.
  by EDM5970

Going back a page or so, it is possible that the utility company map was not correct nor up to date. Just recently here in New Jersey, a paving contractor, using a BRAND new milling machine (maybe even for the first time-), hit a major gas line. The utility company had been out to mark their lines, and this one wasn't on the map. It was also only inches from the surface, another mystery. The resulting fire destroyed a $750,000.00 machine, and required gas service to about half of the town to be shut off to extinguish the fire. Fortunately, no one was injured.
  by Amtrak7

http://www.mta.info/mnr/NHLPowerLossWed_100213.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New schedule for tomorrow, a third transformer allows for additional MU service.

It seems they're allowing electrics to make stops in the temporary zone now? Or are they going to bring out more diesels?
  by Tommy Meehan

lirr42 wrote:From WNYC:

Transportation Nation: Con Ed: We "Likely" Caused Outage That Led to Severe Metro-North Disruptions

...But in statement Monday, Con Ed said: "High-voltage transmission feeders are housed in oil-filled pipes. Removing these feeders from service is a complex process, which involves freezing the insulating oil in the pipe within a "freeze pit." These freezing operations are conducted routinely while working with high voltage transmission lines, and we perform numerous operations each year without incident."

"In this case, we have confirmed that the fault is located just outside of the "freeze pit" work area. In addition, the ground surrounding the work area was found to be frozen, and this unusual condition likely contributed to the feeder failure. We cannot recall a condition of this nature developing during any of our previous freeze operations."...
Very interesting. I did not see this so thanks for posting.

One misstatement in the article I think is the the statement (by Con Ed) that "Metro North officials say it could be weeks before service is normal." Metro-North officials are not saying that.

In the press conference over the weekend MTA chairman Tom Prendergast said that after the MTA and NY State brought "enormous pressure to bear" on Con Ed, the utility revised it's time estimate for putting the 137 kV feeder cable back in service from Oct. 14th to Oct. 7th.
  by motor

lirr42 wrote:There is an interesting map on MN's website showing all the service levels at various stages along the branch: http://web.mta.info/mnr/NewHaven/new-haven-line-fix.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whenever I click on the map, I get...

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... ne-fix.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in other words, an AVG secure search page listing various MN NHL links. I don't see a map on that page.) What am I doing wrong?

motor
  by Tommy Meehan

motor wrote: ...

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... ne-fix.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in other words, an AVG secure search page listing various MN NHL links. I don't see a map on that page.) What am I doing wrong?

motor
I think the link you're clicking was put up last week. The situation has changed and the map in question was probably deleted by the MTA.
  by eastwind

motor wrote:
lirr42 wrote:There is an interesting map on MN's website showing all the service levels at various stages along the branch: http://web.mta.info/mnr/NewHaven/new-haven-line-fix.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motor
Nothing. The page has been withdrawn. It no longer exists. Anywhere.
  by farecard

EDM5970 wrote:Going back a page or so, it is possible that the utility company map was not correct nor up to date. Just recently here in New Jersey, a paving contractor, using a BRAND new milling machine (maybe even for the first time-), hit a major gas line. The utility company had been out to mark their lines, and this one wasn't on the map. It was also only inches from the surface, another mystery. The resulting fire destroyed a $750,000.00 machine, and required gas service to about half of the town to be shut off to extinguish the fire. Fortunately, no one was injured.
And the utility, not the contractor, is on the hook.

But again, we have no evidence the line was hit, and ConEd stated that wasn't what happened.
  by Tommy Meehan

I must say Con Ed, Metro-North and Amtrak all seem to have responded pretty well to what could have been mismanaged into a total disaster.
There were more trains on Metro-North's New Haven Line Wednesday, but service on the crippled line was still limited and crowded, especially during commute hours. There were more trains on Metro-North's New Haven Line Wednesday, but service on the crippled line was still limited and crowded, especially during commute hours. CT Post link

Amtrak is running pretty decently -- with some Boston-New York trains even on-time -- Metro-North is providing service, crowded and with delays, but they're getting everyone where they want to go. Con Ed has reduced the time until one cable is restored from mid-October to October 8th.

All in all, a terrible situation that has been handled as well as could be expected I would say.

Six days --three weekdays -- to go!
  by redline43

Were some upper Hudson through trains actually curtailed to Croton-Harmon with passengers transferring to electric sets? Or was that just hearsay? Can anyone confirm?
  by DutchRailnut

no that is correct, off peak MN is only running Harmon/Poughkeepsie shuttles till next Monday.
south of Harmon passengers are moved in mostly M-8 or M-2/4/6 on express trains.
  by farecard

...But in statement Monday, Con Ed said: "High-voltage transmission feeders are housed in oil-filled pipes. Removing these feeders from service is a complex process, which involves freezing the insulating oil in the pipe within a "freeze pit." These freezing operations are conducted routinely while working with high voltage transmission lines, and we perform numerous operations each year without incident."

"In this case, we have confirmed that the fault is located just outside of the "freeze pit" work area. In addition, the ground surrounding the work area was found to be frozen, and this unusual condition likely contributed to the feeder failure. We cannot recall a condition of this nature developing during any of our previous freeze operations."...

For what it's worth, here is a longer piece on freezing HV cables for repairs.