• Rule 261 and new signalling between Patchogue and Speonk

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

This was discussed a bit in the hooping at PD topic, now my question is, when the new signals are offically in effect will there still be a need for block limit signals, at BO,MS and SK?. How will trains be governed both east and west and meets be aranged?

by emfinite

MS doesn't have a block-limit signal. Between Patchogue and Speonk, the existing block-limits left are BO, MO and PT. I haven't heard much talk as to what will happen to the block-limits, but I assume that they will remain in place until the new signal system has proven itself. I hear that for two days after PD Tower closes, there will be an operator there on standby. The new color light signals in MS Interlocking are all lit at the moment for testing purposes, but still have bags over them.

Meets will just take place as they would on the Port Jefferson branch. Remember now, this is 261 where the signal indication will supercede superiority of trains for both opposing and following moves. Meets east of Speonk will still take place as they would in the past.

Joe

by RPM2Night

are there any known plans at this time to extend 261 past Ko?

by Trains

About a mile west of BO, there is a signal that I see adjacent to the tracks, but never lit. It is near the Getty Station on Montauk Highway. What is this signal for? This signal has two lights on it in a verticle direction, but i don't know what their colors are since i hav never seen it lit.

Also, I think there is another similar signal east of BO (Bellport Station), near the overpass for South Country Road. If anyone has information that would be helpful.

Do trains ever meet at BO, or is that just an extra siding incase there was a system disruption? I have never seen it used, and I believe there is a derail on the east end of the siding.

by Legio X

If possible, please post a picture of these new signals. Are these to be the end of the PRR-style position light signals?

by emfinite

Trains,

That signal you are thinking of is the distant switch indicator for BO. That tells the Engineer of approaching trains if all facing point switches are closed or not. That signal can display green and yellow. Green means the switches are closed (lined normal) and yellow means they are open (diverging).

When the need for a meet occurs at BO, they will use that passing siding. There are no regular meets there, though. There is a derail on both ends of the siding. That is a safety device that will lift itself over the rail once the corresponding switch is thrown to allow a train to enter or exit the siding.

Joe

by 9C1LT1

Hi guys,

Joe, interesting stuff.. I must say your knowledge of the LIRR is impressive!

Legio X, I think I have some pics of the new "traffic lights" your thinking of.

Here is a shot of the crew re-installing the signal at PD, this is what the new signals will look like, they have hoods over each light as oppose to CSX which has one big modern looking hood over all three lights.

Here is another shot of basically the same thing, you can see the old Pennsy Position Light signal in the background.

Enjoy,

Barry
Last edited by 9C1LT1 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Lirr168

Very nice pics, Barry. When I get back to school (and my other computer) I will post a good shot I have of the old Pennsy signals side-by-side with the new ones, unless someone beats me to it of course.

by Dave Keller

Dang, Barry . . .

That tower sure looks familiar . . .

Anyone know where it is? :wink:

Dave

P.S. Good shots . . .What a dreary day! Typical LI fall/winter weather!!! All it does is make my old hangout look worse!! DK

by RPM2Night

I hope that the color light signals fail miserably and taht the position signals fight their way back....but I know they won't. Too much money already invested in the color light signals to turn back now. :( On the bright side, atleast they have three distinctive bulbs for each display, rather than one bulb that would just have a colored lense or filter flip over the bulb to change the aspect.

by Jersey_Mike

I hope that the color light signals fail miserably and taht the position signals fight their way back....but I know they won't. Too much money already invested in the color light signals to turn back now. Sad On the bright side, atleast they have three distinctive bulbs for each display, rather than one bulb that would just have a colored lense or filter flip over the bulb to change the aspect.
There is nothing wrong with Searchlight signals. They are highly efficient and provide good visibility.

Anyway, don't count the PRR PL's out, they have been recently installed in placed like Freeport. Its a disgrace that the LIRR is not making use of the existing hardware that's on the branch and spending the $ for inferrior replacements. People need to bring this up at public hearings.

As a side note, they finally caught that guy who was cutting down Al lamp posts in Baltimore and selling them for scrap. Shame they can't just release him in the Long Island area.

by Long Island 7285

As a side note, they finally caught that guy who was cutting down Al lamp posts in Baltimore and selling them for scrap. Shame they can't just release him in the Long Island area.
Thats funny, atleas the waist of money would be taken care of :-D

I don't know why werent they stoped by the very people haveing to read and decode the aspects and work in daily contact with the signals, and keep them to what the crews study and memorise. I do not deispise the idea of rusle 261 to Speonk or even Montauk for that mater, but for the commonsence of the railroad use postition light signals, that is what 95% of the road is, sept for zone A in NYP thats norac amtracks signals. but i am so stupid that i always come off as a moron and have no idea what i am talking about. weather or not the color light search light signals are "proven and safe" we know that, why change the singals their, and put them in service, and not change EVERY signal on the system to be of the smae type. now the montauk branch is going to be like a forigen road.

Did the signal dept ever heard of work with what you have?

by Clem

It is unfortunate that the LIRR's policy now is to replace position lights with color lights when interlockings are rebuilt. The Transportation Department (which no longer has any management willing to take a stand on anything) has been bullied into this by the newer foreign element in Signal Engineering.

It seems that the superior signal software suppliers from India and other more advanced countries than the US find it easier to drive single light aspects.

A big problem is that virtually every interlocking will have different sets of aspects, as favored suppliers keep changing depending on which third world supplier is lobbying State politicos.

On the up side, the FRA believes color light aspects have better visibility, a theory that is difficult to accept in the face of extensive PRR testing.

Clem

by UN Block

Hello Again Clem!

Maybe they'll start replacing all of our color light signals on the TA with pedestal-type position light signals! :-D

by Long Island 7285

If the mgmt in the transportation dept. dont have what it takes to stand up, why can every employee who has to memorise and work hand in had with the aspecsts have any say?

for argumentsake,

what if train crews threatend a strike (though extreme) to lobby the signal dept to use what they are used to.

we talked on this forum a while back about changing the BOR or something to that effect. though the new signals may make an aspect that in turn is the same as a PL. it's now more of an inconveinance to have to worry about. it's like takeing the gauge from 4' 1 an 1/2" and makeing it 4'1". it will cause conflict. more or less during the actual change over. then long after the "anit american style" desician makers thought.

Keeping the PL's will also show the last great pride in keeping american style and inovation alive it's quite interesting that an asian RR uses position light signals? why can't we.

My Opeinion is that train crews just as a whole body, chip a sholder at and and and kinda feed it safely into problem showing that it's not a educated decision to replace singnals on the RR that has been PLs for the longest time. I say TEST the system and if crews dislike it, (IE they have to work with it. not the maintainers they dont need to read the aspects like an engr.) The LIRR Should take a survey of Transsportation DEPT employees and then see if they should change back to PL signals or change ALL signals to this new fasion?

Position Lights the position of the lights make the aspect Depending on the order.

Slow Approach
PL = Stop over approach
on a color light
how will that same aspect
_*__*_*

______*
____*
__*
Be deisplayed?

Y/Y/R?
Y/R/Y?
R/Y/Y?

I don't know I never followed color light RRing witch im going to have to now.

For thoes in the Know Is it eaiser to memorise color lights then Position Lights? and why not color Lights like the NEC Position lights.