• Rule 261 and new signalling between Patchogue and Speonk

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

Dave, what year is that pic of PD from? It looks in such pristine condition!

by Dave Keller

Jeff: It sure does look that way! Probably blew off with a blast of ALCO exhaust!

Lirr 168: I took the shot of PD in January, 1972.

Dave

by RPM2Night

Dave Keller wrote:Showing newly-installed train order light to replace this:
I wonder what kind of railfan opposition was faced when they added the position lights and red flashing light for train orders to replace the flags and lanterns. lol. It still shows the lantern and flag in the signals section of the rule book.

Also wanted to mention....wow, look how straight and sturdy PD tower looks in that pic Dave posted! Wow!

by Dave Keller

I don't think railfans bothered to make a fuss when the LIRR changed from semaphore blade signals to position light. That was done anywhere from the 1930s to the 1950s, without getting too specific with dating.

I believe the last one was removed in the early 1960s. There's a photo in Ziel's Steel Rails to the Sunrise.

The train order light at PD was added around the time I shot the tower, and yes . . . . she's NICE and straight!!!

Dave

by MNRR_RTC

Here is my 2 cents. Being qualified at one point on the LIRR and NORAC book of rules before I got hired at Metro-North, I find the Metro-North signal system is the easiest.
Flashing Green: Proceed cab
Double Red: Stop Signal
Flashing Alternating green and red: Absolute Block Signal. In the terminal, we have terminal proceed, terminal approach, terminal restricting and stop signal. There are no more automatic signals, so there are no other signal aspects to memorize. I know there are rr purists out there who hate the Metro-North signals, but I find them to be simple.
Last edited by MNRR_RTC on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Long Island 7285

so how many aspects does MN have all together?

by bodhisattva

Metro North's signal system is just dumbed down to make it easier on employees. That is what the LIRR is turning into and its very sad to see. At least the rest of the railroad wont be affected by these candyass signals until 2008.

by Clem

2008?

There's no plans to replace everything. Actually, the rRailroad is working on a GPS driven system that will replace all track circuits with a Global Positioning System. You'll ptobably see a prototype of that by 2009, but it woun't work.

Position lights will be around for a long, long time, probably longer than all of us.

Clemuel

by Form 19

Clem, would that be the "Communications Based Signalling" that Uncle Phester was promoting? I know he was a proponent of that and he said the LIRR could eliminate the Engineer (or motorman for those offended by Engineer) that way.

by Long Island 7285

Short LIR lines as in the Air Train can be computer controlled and monitored with out much problem as there is not much traffic and further space between trains. A system like the LIRR would not really benefit from a full blown computer operation and it will just become an extensive cost in rebuilding the ROWS to install all this new equipment. And the initial cost will be substantial. Yes you’ll save with out having to pay engr and trainmen, but to initially install this system it will put taxes and fares through the roof.
Think of this, all trains are controlled by computer w/o human intervention except for shops and the computer control dept. and track workers, cleaners. That cuts 90% of a given work force multiply that to LIRR, MN, NYCT then spread that to other rail nation wide, then “stop look and listen” and what you created where are all these people getting jobs? There are hardly any jobs left in America, almost everything has been shipped out or computer invaded. So that will raise the living hell out of unemployment. And out of the 90% that got booted, maybe 50% of them will find jobs in a year that will match where they left so they can live comfortably, then again throw in the current statistics of unemployment from the same reasons and that problem drags that 50% even lower.

So economically a soul computer controlled system will be of more harm then good to the economy and to human civilization in America. We will become the land of the obese, lazy, and the world cavitations retirement land.

Is that what you want to say you promoted? There’re already geniuses out there trying to make road transportation computerized.
Has any one figured out how to bypass this technology in the event of a solar flare and the computers all fry? Ill’ is laughing my hack off when this happens. It will be a smack in the face like the iceberg was to the Titanic and ocean transportation in a bygone era.

by MNRR_RTC

bodhisattva wrote:Metro North's signal system is just dumbed down to make it easier on employees. That is what the LIRR is turning into and its very sad to see. At least the rest of the railroad wont be affected by these candyass signals until 2008.
And what is wrong with making it easier for the crews?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

talked to a signal man today, and he said the system was allready up and running, and tested. The planed date for it to go in effect is may 6th. It will be 261 with 410. The speed controll test box is already in place at speonk

by Long Island 7285

ASC and 261 is going to SK I thought it was just Rule 261 replaceing the current 251?

I Know it's kind of too soon, but will the LIRR ever just signal and run 261 to montauk if it is successfull out to SK?

I will tell you right now, I am defiantely going to knock down the color light signals with my car. There is no way they are going to ruin my railroad with subway signals. Long live the PL's! If I ever get a job there they are going to wish they never even thought of signals like that.

by UN Block

Barry,

It's a PLEASURE watching your videos! Using a tripod makes them look so much more professional.

by UN Block

BTW, Is Babylon going to be handing up orders for moves east of SK? Will there be a block operator on duty at SK to do this???

Does ANYBODY out there have any drawings for the new signal "layout under contract?" I would like to see signal numbers and aspects available. What kind of control panel is in Babylon? Is it even a traditional control panel? Is is a computer terminal like at Divide? Is there a "standard" indication panel like at Divide?

Help??