• Re-opening the Central Branch: What would be involved?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I have finally come to my senses and relized that re-opening the Central Branch would be a better idea than some of my stuff.

But what would be involved in re-opening it? Debirs removal? NIMBYs? Re-instillation of track?

Also, what kind of ridership will this thing draw?

by njtmnrrbuff

Bensalem Septa rider,
A word of clarification: the central branch is active and has been. It is used by trains heading to the Montauk line from the Main Line. It starts just below Bethpage on the KO and ends at the Babylon branch west of Babylon. Most traffic is seen on weekdays, but with few trains. On weekends, barely anything is seen. Two years ago when I went to East Hampton, my train actually took the Central.

by MACTRAXX

Bensalem and NJT/MNCR BUFF: I think what you mean is the abandoned Central branch across the north part of Levittown between Garden City east and B tower-where the current Central Branch joining the Main Line is located. When you look at this on a Nassau County map,the ROW is clearly visible and I believe is now a LIPA corridor with transmission lines. I do not see the line resurrected for rail service-there would be major construction costs because of the need to make it grade-separated taking money from other MTA needs not to mention the potential of major opposition from NIMBYs. The LIRR has priorities that should be addressed-with#1 being the third track from Floral Park to Hicksville.It just amazes me is that there is some NIMBY opposition to this one-even from areas that would not be affected directly by major construction. In my opinion,this would be a good benefit for most who ride the LIRR or plan to. MACTRAXX

by Long Island 7285

a 3rd main line track will benifit the LIRR by not tyeing up the main line, but with only 2 tracks when with 3 expresses can run un interuppeted at MAS.

the "central" through GC ill refer to it as the "SL" "stweret line" for simple understanding.

the SL will benifit the LIRR just as much as the 3rd track main line because it will bring service into a part of long island that has no rail service at there means. these people have to drive to the montauk or main to get a train when they should only have to drive to the stewert line to get a train

the SL also provides for MORE intra island options as it goes through the heart of nassau county and the re joins the LIRR main at both ends.

im my opinion BOTH projects are a must happen for the LIRR.

the SL will nees some crossings eliminated but not all, railroad crossings are HERE TO STAY and WE have to LEARN to LIVE with them. on the CRR the major crossings should be eliminated but others can stay.

by NIMBYkiller

Re-opening the Central is fairly easy physically. The ROW is 100% clear if you just move the power lines or sink them. There are no houses or any other kind of building in the way.

As for grade elimination, the crossings that shouldn't/can't be at grade are Merrick Av(easy), Carman Av(easy), Wantagh Pkwy/Newbridge Rd, Rt 107, SOB, Bethpage Pkwy.

It'd only be 4 grade crossings. Jerusalem Av, Wantagh Av, Stewart Av(a small street in Bethpage), and Broadway(another small street in Bethpage, just after Stewart Av). Only 2 of those crossings may need to be grade emliminated.

Personally, if there was ever any chance of this being a reality, I would say it takes priority over the main line 3rd track. This line would offer 2 tracks while serving an entirely new area. Also, the line would be electrified.

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

What routing should go on the line? I'm thinking the Hempstead should run along there to Babylon via the Central.

Is there any room for Park n Rides?

by NIMBYkiller

You mean running trains from city zone via the Hempstead, or trains from Hempstead?

I think trains should run from city zone to Babylon and Patchogue via the central. After Jamaica, local stops would be Floral Park, Garden City, Clinton Rd, Quentin Roosevelt Blvd, Selfridge Av, Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, Levittown, Plainedge, Bepthage Jct, South Farmingdale, North Lindenhurst, Babylon.

Express stops after Jamaica would be Garden City, Selfridge Av, East Meadow, Levittown, Bethpage Jct, Babylon, Bay Shore, Sayville, Patchogue.

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Wait? How are you getting trains to Patchtoge with no electric? If you mean no electric on the Central, then that's a huge mistake.

I don't think the Montauk needs electric quite yet. I think electric and ROW improvements along the PJ are the better fit.

Getting back to the routing, reopening stations along the Central between KO and Babylon is a good idea. They might be able to take cars off the Sunrise and Southern State.

However, the one thing is that Hempstead is left without train service. I think an extention of the West Hempstead is in order.

by NIMBYkiller

Central will be electric, along with the central branch. And the Montauk IS ready for electric, atleast to Patchogue. I think it is more ready than the PJ, as well as more likely.

BTW, KO is Ronkonkoma. There is no track conenction from KO to Babylon. It's from B to Babylon.

And where do you get that Hempstead is left without train service? No where did I say to stop running the Hempstead trains.

And the WH should be extended, but via the old ROW to Mineola.

by mp15ac

There is one BIG obstacle to reopeninng the old Central line: Eisenhower Park!. The line would have to go through the park to get from Merrick Ave to Carmen Ave. I don't think that the golfers would like to play with trains running by.

Stuart

by One of One-Sixty

mp15ac wrote:There is one BIG obstacle to reopeninng the old Central line: Eisenhower Park!. The line would have to go through the park to get from Merrick Ave to Carmen Ave. I don't think that the golfers would like to play with trains running by.

Stuart
Why not, we do it all the time in Daytona..... :P Seriously though, CSX run straight through about 3 golf courses in Daytona. It funny as heck, once I got a hole in one due to the ball hitting off some autoracks. :-D

by Nasadowsk

Reactivating the Central through Levittown, etc wouldn't require simply electrification, you'd have to effectively ban diesels from the line altogether. No other way you're going to get it past everyone there.

And, let's face it, the 'rail line' hasn't even had tracks for quite a few decades - the old 'well, you moved next to a train line' excuse simply won't work here!

Interestingly, a few water wells along the line are old enough their permits list them as being "next to the LIRR line".

LIPA's lines would have to be moved, maybe relocated underground (HVDC? $$$$). Plus a sub or two.

by Long Island 7285

why would diesels need to be banned?

diesels are not as bad as some may think and if you run DM sercice makeing the change over at Btower then head down the CRRLI to GC then you have no reason to ban diesels

how many complaints did the LIRR get when the DM's were running the ronky?

the if done right the LIPA lines might actully be better off under grown (electricans you'll know more on that)

there is few MAJOR "GREEN" reasons for the line not to be considdered as a canidate. if you clearly look at the map, the big picture. in plain sight is proves that the CRRLI ROW "IS" going to have to be re activated in a matter of time. that LIRR NEEDS intra island lines and lines through the heart of the island. The sad part is, that the ROW is there just not used.

compromises will be needed agreements made, contracts signed, but its LI's feuture. jsut like i strongly beleive that its only a matter of a few more decades before wading river gets rails again.

we have all the wrong people in our local govt. when it come to LI's transportation. were just killing our selves with this nonsence. lets just F'en build the mega system and take the bitching later.

by Nasadowsk

Let's face it, regardless of how railbuffs, etc feel, the public living on or near the line isn't going to want to heard some 710 screaming its guts out every half hour or so. You'll have a hard enough time getting MUs there. Diesels? People there won't want the noise.

Remember - this is a 'rail line' where there hasn't been service in decades. There haven't been tracks. It's not like you're proposing to add additional service to an existing line.

And please, I live along a diesel line. I'm 1 mile away through heavy trees and I can still hear the trains comming and going a few stops away. 25 years there, I can assure you - from a distance away, the DE/DMs are no quieter than the GP-38s and MP-15s. And they get into a nice resonant howl at idle, so they're noisy just sitting at stations.

The sound carries a lot - it's low frequency which is hard to wipe out.

by Long Island 7285

i only live 9 blocks away from VALLEY and not too far from JFK u think i like to here the 747s rumble by every few mins. hells no, it was beutifull when the planes stoped during 9-11 but its was too quite in a way a missed the planes

get used to the noise. this improvement is NEEDED NOW for you local public transportation system. it its NEEDED why screw everyone. look whoes making the money any way. any one going east has to go west thats a no go today, its not helping a soul.