• Re-opening the Central Branch: What would be involved?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nasadowsk

How about - why doesn't the LIRR simply buy diesels that are quiet? They do exist, beilive it or not.

But, yeah, you go try telling people to 'get used to the noise' after there's been zero rail service there for 50 years.

I'm sure they'll just roll over.

Like it or not, the issues of the surrounding area need to be considered along with everyone else's, and frankly, noise concerns are going to be an issue with ANY reactivation of the trackage.

If, and I doubt you'll ever see the line rebuilt anyway, if it's rebuilt, you'll see restricitions on what can/cannot run there. Like it or not, people along the ROW were, for all intents and purposes, there first.

by Long Island 7285

some of the new bees in the neighboor hoods are "first" but they know the ROW is there.

the problem is that the ROW is not marked as LIRR ROW

it needs to be marked LIRR ROW POTENCIAL REACTIVATION

do you here see how we "long islanders" dug our selves into a real big hole and cant get out of it now?

do you see that yes or no?

by NIMBYkiller

"There is one BIG obstacle to reopeninng the old Central line: Eisenhower Park!. The line would have to go through the park to get from Merrick Ave to Carmen Ave. I don't think that the golfers would like to play with trains running by. "

Tough shit for the golfers. The ROW through the park is all a walking path. It doesn't cross any golf courses at all.

"the old 'well, you moved next to a train line' excuse simply won't work here!"

That is obvious. Joe, you need to realize that one. That excuse may work for the M&E reopening, but it doesn't work for the central. None of them know about it. Most of them probably don't even notice the power lines.

"LIPA's lines would have to be moved, maybe relocated underground (HVDC? $$$$). Plus a sub or two."

I really doubt this would be too expensive. There are a number of methods that could be used for relocating the power lines.

And the diesels really are a nuisance. Even I would get tired of it after a while. I don't think banning them from the line is reasonable though. It could just be said that the line will be served by electric trains and nothing else has to be said. If an occaisonal diesel gets routed through there, then let it be. Either way, it's not like a diesel going down the central is going to making stops anywhere else then the Uniondale area. After all, by the time this line is done, 3rd rail will have reached atleast Speonk, and there is no need for Hamptons-Levittown service.

Joe, I hate to admit it, but this time Nasadowsk is right. There needs to be some moderation to the argument for rail service on the central. If this was in the 50's or 60's, MAYBE it would be possible to use the old rail line excuse, but it's almost all new families there. And they've never had any clue about it being an old rail line. This is a place where we gotta play by their rules. We have to consider this the construction of a brand new line. It needs to be something that isn't overly obtrusive like the diesels.

by Nasadowsk

<i>Joe, I hate to admit it, but this time Nasadowsk is right</i>

Geez NIMBY - are *you* the reason it was so cold outside this morning? :) :) :) :)

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I have always been a fan of electric. Electrify the PJ and maybe Oyster Bay and well see some more riders.

by Long Island 7285

NIMBY not standing up for the CRRLI no wonder hell forse over lolol :-D

by KFRG

Trains thru Eisenhower Park? What are you people nuts? Get a clue...or a life!

by tushykushy

Haven't we talked about this subject like 3 other times? Broken record!

by Nasadowsk

Wha'ts wrong with trains through Eisenhower Park? Geez, with all electric operation, and nice landscaping, it can be made to fit in just fine.

Heck - trains run past Pinelawn all day and nobody there complains....
  by dukeoq

I only recently moved into Hicksville, and this morning I was driving along Newbridge Road (106). Traffic was backed up for one reason or other for about a half mile.
I can imagine if the railroad were to have a crossing over this busy road it would be a nightmare.
Let's not forget the Wantagh and the Meadowbrook.
Nowadays, no rail line would be built that includes grade crossings and the MTA is not about to reopen a line that it would be forced to build bridges and/or overpasses for.
All crossings would have to be illiminated to build anew.
Why don't we just drop it?
It ain't agonna happen. :(

by NIMBYkiller

Don't worry, I'm still as strong a supporter of the CRRLI as I was when I got here and just as much a hater of NIMBYs as I was when I got here. I just think things should be done fairly and in moderation.

"I have always been a fan of electric. Electrify the PJ and maybe Oyster Bay and well see some more riders."

Neither need nor should be electrified yet. The Montuak needs electrification to atleast Patchogue. So does the main to Riverhead. And electrify the central branch.

"Trains thru Eisenhower Park? What are you people nuts? Get a clue...or a life!"

Screw you. It's possible. The ROW through the park is a walkway now. It's not in the middle of some golf course or anything else. Just a walkway.

"Haven't we talked about this subject like 3 other times? Broken record!"

HA! Try more like atleast 12 since I got here.

"I can imagine if the railroad were to have a crossing over this busy road it would be a nightmare.
Let's not forget the Wantagh and the Meadowbrook. "

Those are givens, as is NY107.

JJ Earl...c'mon...drop it? That's asking a bit much from me now isn't it, lol?

by LI Loco

NIMBYkiller wrote:"There is one BIG obstacle to reopeninng the old Central line: Eisenhower Park!. The line would have to go through the park to get from Merrick Ave to Carmen Ave. I don't think that the golfers would like to play with trains running by. "

Tough stuff for the golfers. The ROW through the park is all a walking path. It doesn't cross any golf courses at all.
Not quite.

The ROW forms the boundary between the Blue and White courses at Eisenhower. An errant shot could easily land on the tracks or break the window of a passing train. It also crosses at grade the pathway leading from the ticket house to the starter's booths for all three courses; another safety hazard. In addition, it crosses the main road through the park at grade. Finally, it runs through the parking lot for the driving range.

I love trains and I love playing golf. But I have to say NIMGC - Not in My Golf Course. Trains and golf just don't mix.

by Nasadowsk

Nimby - IMHO, Port Jeff and Oyster Bay are the poster childs for electrification. Sure today it isn't "needed" (huh? you mean there's no traffic problems on the North Shore? :) but 20 years from now? It'll be desperately needed then. And the planning and construction will take quite a few years to happen. The time to do it is *now*. There's nothing to indicate the buildup of the east end will stop, or even slow. Even Nassau is packing people in more and more up north. That's not going to change. Do it now, get it over with, and be ready when the traffic builds. It's done with highways and roadways and airports, it can (and should) be done with rail lines.

by Long Island 7285

the railroad is going to have to expand no matter what means it has to take.

and the FRA as far as i know does not prohibbit new grade crossings in there is no other option.

meadowbrook pky, wantuah pky, rtes 106/7 can eliminated, along with some other roads. some might have to become deadends some grade crossing

but prove how no intra island service and the CRRLI not being rebuild will benifit the LIRR..

a main line up grade is only going to make better what we already have. (correct) its not going to creat more service nor more stations nor intra island service.

imagine the same thing you hcve now between NHP and Hicksville, just with one more track.

there is absolutly no possibilites that can arrise from this other then getting expresses on there own track and keeps the locals out of there way.

with the Main line Improve ment to what we have already.
DO we or DO WE NOT need service through the center of nassau and intra island connections where HC used to be in GC.

if not TODAY with in the first 1/4 or 1/2 of this century its going to HAVE to happen SOMEHOW.

there is NO more room for pavement type roads. how ever the ROW is there for RAIL and RAIL is going to have to be the way of the future to keep LI's already dangorus roads safer.

the days when "daddy" owned the ONLY car in the family is LONG GONE like the PRR and the G5s on the sunrise special.

the CRRLI will have no other choice to be re built withen the next 50 years its a nessisity, period.. CRRLI or a highway with 10 lanes like california? your choice NIMBYS, and a note to all, the CRRLI would be more environmentally friendly then making 495 into a 10 lane mega road from hell.

by NIMBYkiller

LI Loco:
all those problems can be easily solved. The walkway can just be bridged over the tracks. As for the main road that passes through, would it really be much of a problem if that had a grade crossing?

And netting of some sort can be put up along the tracks to keep golf balls away from the trains.

Nasadowsk:
I should put it this way. The more important electrification projects are the Main and Montauk, IMO. Then electrification to Glen Cove.

Joe:
"there is absolutly no possibilites that can arrise from this other then getting expresses on there own track and keeps the locals out of there way. "

Actually, reverse commuting on the main is needed, and that's what this track is for. In turn, it would allow for some more westbound service once ESA is done.