Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by scopelliti

Nice images, but hey, I'm old and my eyes are shot. Wish they were a bit bigger :(

I can enlarge the images, but a 10X expansion won't be pretty.

by LIRRNOVA55

B&ABL256 wrote:W-193 restored to operation is like a ground up litterally, it would be cheaper to build a whole new plow, now if money was not an issue I think it could be done.
mike
umm. . . No.
Its not all that bad. it would take big bucks still tho. .

by LIRRNOVA55

Posting for Richard Glueck. .
"People often wonder what the push/pull trains might have looked like if LIRR had retained the FM C-Liner cabs. Here is my impression."

by RRChef

Paul,
The other G-5s you are referring to is the one at the RR Museum of Pa, correct? That the only other one I can think of.
Wait a minute... I just thought of something...are you referring to that thing you've building for how many years???

by Dave Keller

I think the Pennsy G5s at the Railroad Museum of PA is the #5741.

And yes . . . it ran on the LIRR!

Dave Keller

by Long Island 7285

There was a linke once with the pictures if that G5 on LI in 1954/55 there on arrts? site i think, i dont rememmber 100% but take a look there im relitivy shure there on one of his many pages.

by Richard Glueck

Art Hunekes does have wonderful color images of PRR 5741 alongside a LIRR H-10, at Morris Park in 1954. The photographer went in on the report that K4s had made it's way back to the Island. The 5741 towed a LIRR tender during that stay. PRR 5741 was the only G5s preserved by the PRR. As it turns out, quite a few of the preserved Pennsy collection did service on the Long Island, showing their pedigree and the significance of the Long Island.

I know the history of why the 35 and 39 were chosen for preservation, but not why the Pennsy chose those particular locomotives, other than the H3. Does anyone know what those lucky locomotive had that others did not? BTW, PRR had J1's and I1sa's stored for possible recall to service as late as 1960, though it was not expected that any would be serviced for that purpose.

by Paul

MANTONE: It really hasnt been that many years. Three total and I had to put her on the back burner for over a year now due to other more pressing issues. The frame, driver wheels, crank pins, bearing boxes, smoke box and cover, axles, headlight shelf, pilot truck side frame and spreader, heart links, tender decals ("Sunrise Special"), cab front ends are complete.
Now, if you wanna send me a non-tax deductable donation ($2,000 would help) to your favorite Alco mechanic, I could get the cylinders, valves, pistons, heads, and liners done in a jiffy. Other than that, I need to hit a good stretch of overtime to make that happen. I know someone who spent thirty years building a 1" scale live steam PRR T1, complete with fully functional Franklin poppet valves! So, my three years isnt anything.
Attached is a picture of Wayne Godshall's 1" scale G5s with my self and the steam gnome Alex standing behind her. As big as that G5s is, mine will be larger by half! Wayne is supplying me with the plans, castings and doing the machine work on the parts I can't handle.

Below is Ed Wooding's PRR T1 in one inch scale. Ed is on the left.

As you can see, these are both works of art.

DAVE: 5741 is the one I was thinking of.

by Long island Joe

Nice Photo's Paul very Nice are you a Member of The Long Island Live Steamers.

by RRChef

Paul,
Unfortunately, I just wrote the check for my son's freshman year's tuition at Fordham(GO RAMS!) so you're S O L on the 2 grand. :P
Besides, $2000 would go a long way towards replacing the roof on the 71 Mustang convertable I bought last year.

Nice pictures by the way. That T-1 is incredible!

by Long Island 7285

Great Pics!

by Paul

Mantone: Typical of my life story...day late. dollar short, or going the wrong way. That 'Stang of yours wouldnt be Calypso Coral red would it??
I alway wanted a Mach-1 ('69) in that color.

BTW, No, I am not a member of LILS. Being out here is SoCal would make getting to meets a little difficult, and BTW, LILS is 7.25" gauge and almost evrywhere else is 7.5" gauge. Might make for some nasty flange wear if I were to run out there.

by LIRRNOVA55

SD9E As Per Request