Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1610109  by photobug56

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:17 pm May we not lose sight that, according to a Wiki article, Joe had left Scranton for Wilmington during 1953 at age eleven.
His father needed a job and found one in Wilmington. I have no idea what his father did for a living, but I do know that my father, at that time, had piles of drivers (hauling cars) and factory workers and engineers working for him at the time. After the mines were pretty much dead (take out any more and the city would have collapsed), the city was slowly dying. Cutting off train service likely accelerated that, but lots of people were commuting from near Scranton to NYC daily. Add Steamtown, the area ski resorts and the like, and train service done right could really help.
 #1610135  by photobug56

THAT, the closing of Scranton Lace, loss of train service, big reduction in freight rail service though much of that has come back. When I got out of college in 77, only jobs were in hospitals or the 2 main colleges, so many of us had to move away.
 #1610137  by Dcell

As NJT is on record that service to/from Andover won't start until 2027 at the earliest, I will assume that finishing the Andover-Slateford Pa. segment won't happen until the 2030s regardless of whom takes on that project. There just isn't any urgency aside from Brother Malski and his memories of riding the Lake Cities as a youth and that only gets one so far at the federal funding trough.
 #1610166  by Dcell

Gilbert, I mustered out as an E-5 so need need to call me Mister. As to the timeline, it has taken NJT nearly a decade to clear vegetation to Andover and install 3 unconnected sections of ballast, ties and track. An arthritic snail on crutches can move faster than NJT.
 #1610187  by photobug56

I think that they don't want this project but have to look like they are doing it. I also figure that a public railroad (pick any of the big ones) could do this entire project, double tracked, in one year - NJT figures on several decades.