Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1193071  by DogBert

If I see them come in, I'll post, though I haven't seen P&W coming in lately due to how late they show up these days.

I'm not sure if CSX ran to fresh pond on saturday, though they did make a sunday run, returning to oak point around 6 or 7 pm with a regular mixed train. Not quite sure what that was about (more traffic, or they didn't run saturday maybe due to the 4th track being put in at fremont).

normal csx round trip earlier this morning.

*edit*
actually, there was an 11:30am extra again inbound - this time with the usual mixed train. I guess maybe the cars were not ready for the early morning run to fresh pond. the outbound/oak point train was full of cars though at 7:30am... anywhere else they'd probably wait for the cars instead of running twice, though I'm sure the NIMBYs at the high school at metro ave would be on the phone yelling at someone to pull the trash cars...
 #1193244  by freightguy

They called out to Dist E with the consist at CP 1
216 around 8pm tonight with 5 engines...
 #1193330  by DogBert

last night P&W went over the bridge around 6 if I recall right.

csx8851, I know it's long but I'd probably plan on being by the tracks from 6 to 7:30 or 8. Usually they're by btw 6 and 7 but they did run later that one day last week. Have you tried watching from that dead end on 71st st. & 41st ave - a block south of roosevelt? I've been wondering if that street wouldn't make for a nice photo with the 7 train viaduct in the background. On bing aerial photos it looks right down at the tracks.
 #1193550  by csx8851

Thats exactly where I railfan, howd you guess lol....the only thing is I move around alot, meaning i'm not in the same place for a long time....but thanks for letting me know. Lets see if I get lucky, hopefully I catch sight of the leaders.To answer your question, it would definitly make for a nice picture, if you dont mind the tightly braided wiring.....look at this vid: (taking when D&H CP 416/417 used to run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtowfEaNzWo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skip to 2:09
 #1193694  by csx8851

Thank you Dogbert, its people like you that bring joy to others in this community...may god bless you. Yesterday was a day I'll never forget anytime soon. Me and my grandfather were waiting for FPCH to show up. Appartently it was about 6:50pm and I was planning on leaving after waiting for a little over an hour, one more strikeout. However, I decided to head down to the 45th av bridge just before heading home. To my suprise when I got there, I could see the headlights of a red loco, which was in fact P&W. They were at 51st av (I believe) and they were'nt moving for some reason, and I thought that they were probably doing some sort of inspection. I waited for about 20 minutes considering the fact that I was thinking about heading down there to see what was going on. After 7:00pm, they started to move, inferred by their flashing ditch-lights. They werent moving as fast as I remembered a few years back, but still a speed faster than CSX would move. When the lead engine got close enough, I waved from the bridge just like I normally would do and to my surprise, the crew returned the favor by blowing the horn. I never get a response like that from the CSX crew lol. 5 engines in total ( 3 GEs and 2 SD60/SD40-2 leasers) and about a good solid 70 cars heading northbound. I left with a simile....
 #1193837  by ccutler

This morning a saw the northbound CSX connection heading across the Bridge to Oak Point Yard...a healthy 90 car train, with a promisingly strong 40 general merchandise cars.
 #1194388  by DogBert

csx8851, - glad you finally caught one.

CSX had a morning extra today, around 10:30 - with around a dozen trash cars. This Monday morning extra seems a bit more regular as of late.
 #1194571  by csx8851

Thank you sir, this certainly wont be the only FPCH I catch as I plan to go again on Wednesday. Anyways speaking of the trash extra, I'm also planning on looking for one too, It comes mostly on Mondays in the daylight hours between 9-11am, correct? I have a question, why don't they just put the extra cars on Y101 when it comes inbound?, all they have to do is just throw in another unit, possibly a GP38 lol. Is there also a train symbol for this movement?
 #1194594  by freightguy

I'm assuming the Sun night garbage train gets in a bit too late to tag onto the train bound for Fresh Pond which leaves very early now. That's part of the reason the Fresh Pond Y101 leaves so early now because the local communities wanted the garbage cars out of there early. I guess by Monday Waste Management warrants enough business as a regular costumer to get the extra cars run down there. The city also has rules on how long MSW can sit on the ground.

From the NY& Atlantic rumor mill WMX plans to open another waste transload near the former Phelps Dodge plant in Maspeth, Queens. I'm not sure if they will combine the facility which already receives the green WMX containers in Brooklyn. This may mean more WMX cars coming to the Queens side on the Y101 CSX transfer.
 #1194802  by csx8851

Saw the 102 transfer run today, was on my bike and that SD60M crept up on me lol. These things barely make any noise, so its getting hard to tell if they are coming. The crew is really getting on my nerves, I wave at them from the brigde and they completly ignored me and I know they can see me waving...jesus. Anyways SD60M/ SD40-2 leading with about 80 cars northbound, 7:30am sharp. C&D, empty centerbeams, boxcars, cement hoppers, and trash were the primary loads today. 2 boxcars were suprisingly really old, it looked like they were around since the 80s.
 #1195306  by DogBert

I was out on Wednesday and didn't see it. They went north over the bridge last night though so I guess they did not run Wednesday and won't be around tomorrow.

Maybe they will run fri/sat? (Leaving sometime Saturday?). I have no idea. If I happen to see them come in tonight ill post.

Rumors are true about wm loading more trash cars. Not sure when that will begin - probably a few months from now. The last I heard is loading will happen at Blissville.