• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by mikey cruz

was it the SD40-2's in the new scheme or the Geeps?
  by DogBert

gp38-2 - #2740 if i recall right.

Another trash extra this morning, 2 SD's and 10 empty trash bins, inbound towards fresh pond at 11:30am.
  by DogBert

I didn't hear them come in, but I usually don't these days. I'd say it's a safe bet their in town. They left a bit later monday night so who knows when they'll go today (sometime in the evening for sure).
  by csx8851

Ah I see, well on another note I saw the last trash car on 102 today from like a mile away..it was 7:30 and I remembered what dogbert said about how the train goes by his place around 7:20. I was like damn.....lol
  by ccutler

Snuck out for a bike ride this morning, weather was toooo nice not to do it, went to work late. Took some photos which I hope to load later tonight.

Good news: the Manhattan Beer distributer at Oak Point did relocate to another warehouse with a siding, and appears to be receiving freight cars. Oak Point Yard looked modestly busier today. The transfer run in front LIC looked to be about 60 cars. There looked to be many box cars for Manhattan Beer and the newsprint plant, and a half dozen or so refrigerator cars.

I also rode behind Jetro Foods on a publicly accessible road . I saw a conrail caboose on a flatbed, not the caboose that is used in the yard thankfully. Some pier remnants as well.

Hopefully I will have photos loaded up tonight.
  by chrisnewhaven

Where did Manhattan Beer move to? Still in the Bronx or are they now on NY&A track?

C.J.V.
  by DogBert

Manhattan Beer is just in a bigger warehouse next to Oak Point.

That caboose was sold awhile back I believe to the guy that owns the Jetro lot and many other parcels of land around there. I'm not sure what his plans are for it but it's not likely to go to scrap. More likely for static display somewhere around there. There was an article about him in the NY Times in relation to how he tried to create some wetland on the old oak point carfloat slips which was covered in debris after hurricane sandy. He seemed determined to clean it up, sinking his own money into it.

All the reefers are for Hunts Point Terminal Market. They get a significant amount of covered hoppers there too which are hauling flour. (think about all the bakeries and pizza joints in nyc...). Flour is some solid rail business. One of BEDT's main customers before bankruptcy in the 80s was flour transload. The building is gone but the concrete pad and track is still there in a new park on kent ave & N8 street in brooklyn. LIRR had some bakery customers in LIC too - though it seems all the bulk flour goes through the market now.

Also, P&W went over hell gate around 7pm tonight.
  by ccutler

photos as promised, 2 more to come
  by ccutler

This morning's yard shot and then the back view of Jetro. I didn't ride through the East entrance of Jetro because it is still posted "private property CSX" but that old sign may be wrong now that Jetro has built out.
  by csx8851

Today I finally got to see Y102 after lots of strikeouts. 2 SD40-2 (8831 and 8851)leading with about 50-60 cars. A healthy mix of C&D and trash along with one reefer boxcar.
  by DogBert

Congrats. You must have been up early. Half the time I miss it.

Those photos are awesome.

P&W's in town. For some reason they stopped over astoria for about an hour tonight (1am to 2am). I could see a flashlight walking along the train the dark, so I'm assuming something required checking. They rolled on their way to fresh pond immediately after. Roughly 100 cars. 2 or 3 GEs and 2 SD leasers.

I'm assuming they come in around 1AM these days, since I used to see them around 1130 or 12. Haven't seen them in awhile since I'm usually dead asleep at this hour.
  by expbusop

10-15 general mechandise boxcars, lumber cars with 2 diesels could not see numbers passing under Willis Ave Bridge toward Oak Pt approx. 10:10 am
  by ccutler

Saw the shadow of the P&W stone train going north over Hell's Gate Bridge at 6:10pm tonight, which is early for them, through the storm...lots of heavy rain, this is messy.
  by csx8851

I'm going to head down to the tracks on Wednesday to catch P&W FPCH.....could someone just let me know in advance if P&W is in town and if they are planning to leave on Wednesday. Thanks in advance