• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F40

beanbag wrote:Or.. Simpler idea, check the time your train gets to the transfer point, and what time another train leaves said transfer point, make sure you select a pair of trains with some padding, for a delay on the first one, time to get to the platform on ehich the second train will arrive, and so as to not stress yourself out if one train is a few minutes late, write down your itenerary so you remember, and go on your way. NJT while they may make the effort to ensure certain trains connect, isnt responsible for how your planning turns out, you are. I always like to leave at least 20 minutes pad time when i take a train with a transfer, so i can take my time and think clearly about where i need to go, and not nearly fall down the stairs trying to get to the lower platforms in time.
20 minutes is easy to say on leisurely trips and beyond that is when I would say "why take the train." When I mentioned late, I was referring to the proverbial definition of 5:59 beyond schedule. I can take that into account and still make it downstairs. But if there really is a high percentage of "on time" trains, then I do not think it's unreasonable for outbound trains to be held if trains on the upper level are de facto late. But of course, NJT does not need suggestions from anybody and at least to some on this board, the customer's voices are meaningless. I am equally disturbed by those who feel anyone who does not work for the railroad are simple joe Schmoes (comments not necessarily directed toward you).
  by ACeInTheHole

I do not work for the railroad either, so no offense taken. I was only explaining how I do things. I understand your reasoning, I just like a more leisurely pace. Even if it means waiting a bit.
  by F40

beanbag wrote:I do not work for the railroad either, so no offense taken. I was only explaining how I do things. I understand your reasoning, I just like a more leisurely pace. Even if it means waiting a bit.
I appreciate your advice. However, I feel if I wake up any earlier to get to the office, I feel that driving will be better. The purpose of taking the train was to avoid the traffic. :-)
  by ACeInTheHole

F40 wrote:
beanbag wrote:I do not work for the railroad either, so no offense taken. I was only explaining how I do things. I understand your reasoning, I just like a more leisurely pace. Even if it means waiting a bit.
I appreciate your advice. However, I feel if I wake up any earlier to get to the office, I feel that driving will be better. The purpose of taking the train was to avoid the traffic. :-)
You never know, traffic might be worse earlier. I dont know, I like to relax on my train rides, and I like knowing that if the train im taking is a few minutes off it wont wreck my timing. With how dreadful those MN rebuilds are in particular (Out of the many times ive had one powering my train.. Only ONE was on time into my destination.), planning for late trains is something I always take into account.
  by F40

beanbag wrote:
F40 wrote:
beanbag wrote:I do not work for on the railroad either, so no offense taken. I was only explaining how I do things. I understand your reasoning, I just like a more leisurely pace. Even if it means waiting a bit.
You never know, traffic might be worse earlier. I dont know, I like to relax on my train rides, and I like knowing that if the train im taking is a few minutes off it wont wreck my timing. With how dreadful those MN rebuilds are in particular (Out of the many times ive had one powering my train.. Only ONE was on time into my destination.), planning for late trains is something I always take into account.
Actually, it's not the Hoboken line I worry about. You can count on them being on time at SEC at least. Its the corridor trains into NY which make me uneasy. I know they're at the mercy of Amtrak etc. But unfortunately, since I am going the reverse peak direction my choices of trains are limited. These can make or break my commute.
  by ACeInTheHole

F40 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
F40 wrote:
beanbag wrote:I do not work for on the railroad either, so no offense taken. I was only explaining how I do things. I understand your reasoning, I just like a more leisurely pace. Even if it means waiting a bit.
Actually, it's not the Hoboken line I worry about. You can count on them being on time at SEC at least. Its the corridor trains into NY which make me uneasy. I know they're at the mercy of Amtrak etc. But unfortunately, since I am going the reverse peak direction my choices of trains are limited. These can make or break my commute.
I have that with school, except i take off peak generally, if i miss the hoboken train for a designated time i have to wait 40 minutes for the next one. One time I was waiting for a train and it crapped out, so we had to take the train behind it, which was half an hour later. I had an exam that day that the train made me late for. Thankfully i knew the professor and i had a friend in the class, so i texted her to tell him that i was running late, and when I finally did arrive he let me take the exam no problem, but i can think of quite a few professors where that kind of thing wouldve gone very poorly.
  by philipmartin

People say that NJ Transit trains are at the mercy of Amtrak, which is undeniable. But when the Pennsy owned all the trains, locals always got held for the high wheelers.
  by F40

philipmartin wrote:People say that NJ Transit trains are at the mercy of Amtrak, which is undeniable. But when the Pennsy owned all the trains, locals always got held for the high wheelers.
I do not deny that expresses should have priority over the locals. It seems that I was just on the wrong end of a domino effect. Since it looked like we missed our slot, it's possible they sent other trains ahead of us (possibly the HOB diesel, and/or a late M&E) not allowing us to make up any time, hence the missed connection.
  by F40

Also, it would be much more appropriate for someone who actually experiences a similar commute regularly to respond before they simply "write-off" such ideas as preposterous. There is a crowd who rides the outbound Main/Bergen line trains in the AM so it's a far cry from "I am the only one." Any organization who cannot hear or consider (professional & reasonable) ideas or opinions from their own customers does not deserve to serve them. In my company, we are the ones examined if our "customers (clients)" are not satisfied with our work product (although if you're part of the same team, we always support each other). I am sure the railroad is no different but it should be no surprise.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:People say that NJ Transit trains are at the mercy of Amtrak, which is undeniable. But when the Pennsy owned all the trains, locals always got held for the high wheelers.
To add: Pennsy practice, if a train was running late they would hold it and make it even later, rather than delay trains that would otherwise be on time.
  by Electrify the RVL!

Hello folks... I know I'm late to the party but I just wanted to thank michaelk, thirdrail7, and everyone who provided information on this thread. As you can see from my screen name, I'm very interested in this topic! :-D
  by Regardie

So this has drifted off topic somewhat, let's try to bring it back.

So the press release states March 2nd for the start but that is a Sunday. Is NJT going to do the first run on a weekend train? If not, which train on the Monday will be the first?

We now know that the 45s can move a consist of 10 MLVs from the Superbowl service, fully loaded, really overloaded, worse case scenario, so the substitution of NJCL trains could be a possibility in the future. The limitation is most platforms on the RVL can't hold 8 cars so 10 cars are really useless until Newark to pick up transfers during rush hour.

NJT is doing the very least they can to appease the mayors along the RVL which have started to make noise about a single seat ride. It will cost NJT very little to do the off peak runs that they are proposing. The mayors don't have the political capital to spend to justify taking rides away from the NJCL or the Midtown Direct so the RVL is just late to the party. What I wish they were doing is spending their political capital to get NJT to spend some actual capital on improvements to the RVL that would help all commuters every day like the Hunter Flyover, extending the platforms, the West Trenton line, extending the line past High Bridge. Just a thought.

I still want to be on the first run to NYP just because.
  by 25Hz

Hunter flyover & double track Aldene connection are what is really needed, as is second waterfront connection.

Hard to run big bunches of trains both directions over a single track...
  by srock1028

Regardie wrote: It will cost NJT very little to do the off peak runs that they are proposing.
Do you know that as fact?? The ALP45s burn more fuel then the PL42s, so fuel costs will go up. Extending crews to and from New York will cost more.
  by Fan Railer

Regardie wrote: We now know that the 45s can move a consist of 10 MLVs from the Superbowl service, fully loaded, really overloaded, worse case scenario, so the substitution of NJCL trains could be a possibility in the future. The limitation is most platforms on the RVL can't hold 8 cars so 10 cars are really useless until Newark to pick up transfers during rush hour.
The 45s won't run 10 car MLVs anywhere over 60-70 in diesel mode (from a practical standpoint), and at that, they would take forever to accelerate to such speeds. This makes them unsuitable to run any sort of long distance service (the superbowl service was a shuttle) with that heavy and demanding of a consist.