• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by CNJGeep

Regardie wrote: So the press release states March 2nd for the start but that is a Sunday. Is NJT going to do the first run on a weekend train? If not, which train on the Monday will be the first?

We now know that the 45s can move a consist of 10 MLVs from the Superbowl service, fully loaded, really overloaded, worse caseso the substitution of NJCL trains could be a possibility in the future. The limitation is most platforms on the RVL can't hold 8 cars so 10 cars are really useless until Newark to pick up transfers during rush hour.
I'll believe March 2nd when I see an ALP45 running from Raritan to New York on March 2nd. I trust the press release from the coalition about as far as I can throw the respective members. And with regards to an ALP + 10 multis, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do said thing.
  by Regardie

srock1028 wrote:
Regardie wrote: It will cost NJT very little to do the off peak runs that they are proposing.
Do you know that as fact?? The ALP45s burn more fuel then the PL42s, so fuel costs will go up. Extending crews to and from New York will cost more.
Yes, costs will go up, but when you compare it to any of the build options that would make the RVL run better and have been discussed here endlessly it is a real bargain for NJT while looking like they are addressing the concerns of the mayors along the RVL.
  by ThirdRail7

The proposed operating plans for the service leaves zero protection and recourse if there is a cancellation. That is always a problem when you have a specialized piece of equipment. Hopefully, if something goes wrong there is still room on the previous connecting trains.
  by mdelcorso

I will miss the 10 minutes to get a couple of McDoubles when I'm coming home from the city drunk off my ass but at least I will get home faster.

Here's an interesting question regarding how the schedule will change. On a train that is running direct from NYP, would the timetable be kept so that the departure time at Newark is kept?

For example, the last train from Newark is the 1:28 am departure. The connection is the 1 am departure from NYP. The layover is 11 minutes at Newark. Will the NYP departure then be at 1:11am ? I hope so.... 11 more minutes off drinking time.
  by ACeInTheHole

CNJGeep wrote:
Regardie wrote: So the press release states March 2nd for the start but that is a Sunday. Is NJT going to do the first run on a weekend train? If not, which train on the Monday will be the first?

We now know that the 45s can move a consist of 10 MLVs from the Superbowl service, fully loaded, really overloaded, worse caseso the substitution of NJCL trains could be a possibility in the future. The limitation is most platforms on the RVL can't hold 8 cars so 10 cars are really useless until Newark to pick up transfers during rush hour.
I'll believe March 2nd when I see an ALP45 running from Raritan to New York on March 2nd. I trust the press release from the coalition about as far as I can throw the respective members. And with regards to an ALP + 10 multis, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do said thing.
I personally think it is unfair to bash the 45s for being unable to effectively handle 10 MLs, its not like every multilevel set with the 46s is 10 cars, there is a bunch of 8-9 car ML sets running around too with the 46s. If they can get 8-9 cars going and keep the schedule then they should be ok.
  by Fan Railer

ACeInTheHole wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:

I personally think it is unfair to bash the 45s for being unable to effectively handle 10 MLs, its not like every multilevel set with the 46s is 10 cars, there is a bunch of 8-9 car ML sets running around too with the 46s. If they can get 8-9 cars going and keep the schedule then they should be ok.
They do fine with 8 car MLVs in diesel mode, as evidenced by that one weekend when they shut down the catenary on the M&E. Above that, 9 cars, maybe ok, but 10 cars, you're losing too much traction potential to the HEP load.
  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:

They do fine with 8 car MLVs in diesel mode, as evidenced by that one weekend when they shut down the catenary on the M&E. Above that, 9 cars, maybe ok, but 10 cars, you're losing too much traction potential to the HEP load.
Define "fine," Fan Railer. Did they break down? No, but a lot of resources were expended to support that service and I doubt such resources would be available under normal circumstance, particularly on a weekday.

Beanbag, it is about making slots for the Raritan trains. On the weekend, it will not be that big if a deal to manipulate the schedule to allow for their operation in NYP. During the peak periods, you will have to remove something to make space. this means you'll still need to maintain the same amount of passenger seats into NYP. To that end, when have you seen and 8 or 9 car Raritan? Additionally, the 45s are a bit longer so that limits where you can put them if you have more than 8 cars. The same does not hold true for a 10 car electric set.

This barely matters. NJT has come up with a (what I think) is a reasonable solution. I'm sure someone is going to cry and another group will pout and whine, but you can't please everyone.

You'll have your answers soon.
  by Fan Railer

My use of "fine" is in the narrowest possible sense; from a mechanical and schedule keeping standpoint. Does that mean that NJT, with its limited resources and tight cash, should operate them like that on a frequent basis? By no means. They are already diesel thirsty, and the extra time they'd spend in notch 8 trying to get a heavy train up to speed would just aggravate NJT's diesel budget.
  by Jishnu

Fan Railer wrote:My use of "fine" is in the narrowest possible sense; from a mechanical and schedule keeping standpoint. Does that mean that NJT, with its limited resources and tight cash, should operate them like that on a frequent basis? By no means. They are already diesel thirsty, and the extra time they'd spend in notch 8 trying to get a heavy train up to speed would just aggravate NJT's diesel budget.
Come on guys! For NJCL we are talking of D-mode operation only south of Long Branch, which is not exactly a speedway. Speed limits are mostly 60mph or lower with numerous grade crossings and movable bridges.
  by mlc482

Jishnu wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:My use of "fine" is in the narrowest possible sense; from a mechanical and schedule keeping standpoint. Does that mean that NJT, with its limited resources and tight cash, should operate them like that on a frequent basis? By no means. They are already diesel thirsty, and the extra time they'd spend in notch 8 trying to get a heavy train up to speed would just aggravate NJT's diesel budget.
Come on guys! For NJCL we are talking of D-mode operation only south of Long Branch, which is not exactly a speedway. Speed limits are mostly 60mph or lower with numerous grade crossings and movable bridges.
Speaking of the NJCL, one must wonder if and when a one-seat trial could be extended to the lower Coast Line. From previous dialogue, it seems the pro is that the NJCL slot is already there (you're just extending the 32XX into PSNY), and the con is the lack of refueling in BH and the need to somehow get the equipment through Hoboken/MMC.

Maybe NJT could make the weekend summer beach express trains one-seat expresses...that would be interesting.
  by nick11a

Fan Railer wrote:
nick11a wrote:Looks to be the maiden voyage might be delayed due to impending weather.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
broken link?
The link is fine. Looks like nj.com pulled the article off of their website.
  by nick11a

Fan Railer wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
nick11a wrote:Looks to be the maiden voyage might be delayed due to impending weather.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
broken link?
The link is fine. Looks like nj.com pulled the article off of their website.
That's what I meant by that.
Roger. Maybe NJT should watch this video in regards to the weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k