Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

At 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon at Tarrytown, while waiting for the southbound Croton local to show up, I saw an unusual sight on the Hudson Line.

Heading south on Tk 1 was a 3-unit light engine move. (Just engines, no train.)

Two Amtrak Gennies -- the 742 and the 840 -- running back-to-back with MNRR Geep 543 in the middle! They looked pretty good, though. Like back in the day. Two cabs and a Geep.

The odd thing was, okay the two Amtraks were probably headed for Penn Station (or Sunnyside). But where were they taking 543??
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

by DutchRailnut

840 is a conndot pool unit you sure about the 700 unit ??? I know of no 742, Amtrak 700 only go up as far as 718.

by Tommy Meehan

No I'm not sure about the first engine's number. At first glance I thought it was an Amtrak passenger train. Only when I saw the 543 in the middle did I really perk up. I know -- or am pretty sure -- the lead unit had a 7 and a 2 in it. 742 was really a guess. Coulda been 712 or 172???

But if 840 is one of the ConnDot engines then this was probably a shop move??? From Harmon. What NY Central used to call a pole.

But for an old-school guy like me it was a cool sight. Reminded me of the old days. When you'd see freights with two Fs running back-to-back with a Geep in the middle.

I still cringe a bit when I see cab units operating'elephant style'. There was a time when that was very rarely done.

by peak-layover

Obviously the 543 and the engine Dutch so affectionately calls Exxon Valdez (840) were headed back to Branch service or Wassaic shuttle service.

That other engine is causing me to really rack my brain. I can think 842 since thats one of the p40s use for SLE service, but it doesn't usually make it over here to Harmon. If you're convinced it was a 7 in front, then mabye 702 or 712. One of those engines could have hitched a ride down from Albany or ran light (ughh :( ) Then just hitched a ride from Harmon to either Spuyten Duyvil to go down the west side or over to New Rochelle to back down to Sunnyside. It would make a lot more sense if it was 842.

by kitn1mcc

yup the 842 is the SLE unit

by Tommy Meehan

I doubt the lead engine was an 800 series Gennie. I seldom see 800s on the Hudson Line so I think that would've caught my eye. The way 543 did. I guess it could've been though.

It was moving pretty fast. I looked to see that it really was on Tk 1 heading south. That's somewhat unusual too. Especially for a Saturday. I pretty much missed the lead unit's number.

by peak-layover

I doubt the lead engine was an 800 series Gennie. I seldom see 800s on the Hudson Line so I think that would've caught my eye. The way 543 did. I guess it could've been though.
I mean tis in the most non-aggresive way possible, but 800 series gennies go from Harmon to the other branches pretty often. It may have been going on track 1 because of track work. But yes, its not uncommon that they go up and down the Hudson. I seriously doubt that a 700 series would be moving with MN equipment.

Can someone on the New Haven Line (I'm guessing thats where those engines went) please go out and tell us what three engines are sitting in Stamford. Its just that easy to know.

by DutchRailnut

840is now in Stamford and tonight replaces two F units on one of Mini's for Danbury. where 543 and other P40 went is guess.
  by Metsfan2

(First post on the forum. I figured I should help you guys out)

Saw it from my apartment terrace. I am pretty sure the lead was 836. Does that make any sense?

by FL9AC

836 makes more sense as it is one of the Amtrak P40's in Metro-North service. It is fairly weird seeing a CDOT leased P40 as most of their work is done in New Haven on the units. Nice sighting though.
  by MTASUPT

Hand it to the first timer, Metsfan

836-543-840

by District D RTC

DutchRailnut wrote:840 is a conndot pool unit you sure about the 700 unit ??? I know of no 742, Amtrak 700 only go up as far as 718.
Just to clarify - the Amtrak P-32's are 700-717. 718 is a (now retired GP-7u, formerly Canadian unit, very very short life on amtrak - possibly less than one year. I own only one slide of it - rusting at Chicago.)

--JSW
  by Tommy Meehan

From time to time I see something interesting on (usually) the Hudson Line -- my 'home' line -- but rather than start a whole new thread, I dug up this old one, modified the title and am recycling it. [Do I get a gold star next to my name, Kevin?? :-D ]

Anyway, I'm posting despite it not being earthshaking stuff but of interest to some of you anyway, I'm sure. Last night while waiting for my gal to pick me up at Yonkers station (she was late) I saw-

First, GP35M 105 came west on 1 with a full Bomb train just before 7 PM. I think the Gennie was either dead or off-line. I think this because the Geep was working so hard that, before it came into view, I thought it was an approaching freight. The cars looked dark like it was a deadhead, possibly heading for the Harmon shops??

About twenty minutes later, also on 1, was the westbound/northbound CP freight with the usual two 5600 series SD40-2s and about 25 cars. Always good to see CP, especially after last year's "last runs."
  by MTASUPT

The deadhead was a northbound dead head for Harmon shop, the Gennie had a B/O air compressor. 105 later went back lite to GCT
  by MTASUPT

Unique move on the Hudson line tonight 8/7

DH5790 - 2026 - 1732-1740 - 129

This will go to MO and then up to New Haven on DH5494