Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

Excuse the crummy cell phone photo but it was shot one-handed as my Bee-Line 13 bus pulled up this morning. :)

The photo shows the ongoing demolition of the north end passenger stairway at Tarrytown. Was open Mon (1/30) WASN'T on Tues. (1/31). The staircases were disconnected Tuesday and the overhead was removed Thursday I think,

The whole north end of the southbound platform is OOS.

by pbass

are sure it was the 543 you saw? before i retired the 543 & 750 were disassembled in Harmon shop.i thought both engines went for scrap.
  by DutchRailnut

both were rebuild and ran for another year or so and then retired. both 543 and 750 are at north end of old shop.
  by amm in ny

Tommy Meehan wrote:The photo shows the ongoing demolition of the north end passenger stairway at Tarrytown. Was open Mon (1/30) WASN'T on Tues. (1/31). The staircases were disconnected Tuesday and the overhead was removed Thursday I think,

The whole north end of the southbound platform is OOS.
For those who aren't familiar with what's going on: the (island) platform between tracks 2 & 4 is being replaced. Most of the old platform was demolished, and we've been using the stub (the piece with the elevator and one stairway) plus a temporary platform and temporary second bridge. They've just finished (most of?) the new platform and two new bridges and a set of elevators, and started directing passengers to the new platform. Now they're removing the old and the temporary platforms and bridges. Unfortunately, one of the new bridges is still closed off, and they've got a walkway from the parking lot blocking track 4, I assume to substitute for the second bridge.

What I don't know is if they're planning to extend the new platform once the remains of the old one are out of the way -- that's what they did with the track 3 platform.
  by RearOfSignal

Currently tracks 2 & 4 are only 8 cars(as indicated by General Notice), so once the north end of old platform is rebuilt and opened both platforms will be 10 cars.
  by 6sunset6

Went round trip New Hamburg to GCT this weekend. Noticed hoppers full of ballast at a lot of sidings Beacon to Mott haven . Where is all this ballast being used on the Hudson line?
  by RearOfSignal

6sunset6 wrote:Went round trip New Hamburg to GCT this weekend. Noticed hoppers full of ballast at a lot of sidings Beacon to Mott haven . Where is all this ballast being used on the Hudson line?
No where for now, not much track work during the winter. We'll find out during the spring. Hudson line track is pretty good expect for a few places. The Harlem line however is terrible especially in the Bronx.
  by amm in ny

RearOfSignal wrote:Currently tracks 2 & 4 are only 8 cars(as indicated by General Notice), so once the north end of old platform is rebuilt and opened both platforms will be 10 cars.
I'm having some fun exercising my creativity trying to visualize putting 8 cars onto track 4 next to the Tarrytown platform as things are right now.

Given that there's a temporary structure (bridge from parking lot to platform) sitting right on the rails of that track (and, if the workmen are to be believed, it will be there for at least the next few months), the only way I can imagine it is if you brought 4 cars in from the North and another 3 or 4 from the South.

Come to think of it, it might not be a bad spot to put those trains that originate in Tarrytown or Irvington. I'm guessing there's enough space between the bridge and the interlocking to put a 6 or 8 car train.
  by RearOfSignal

Track 4 is currently out of service between CP 25 and CP 26, nevertheless the platform length currently is 8 cars for track 2 & 4.
  by railmason357

Track 4 is out of service, but playing on words the 2/4 platform could hold 8 cars (if four was in service)

The platform spanning track 4 is going to be there until the south overpass is put into service.

P.S. if anyone has noticed the 543 was moved to the southend of the diesel shop and word is they are going to get it in working order due to the GP's going out for overhaul...Anyone else hear this?
  by RedbirdR33

<I>Went round trip New Hamburg to GCT this weekend. Noticed hoppers full of ballast at a lot of sidings Beacon to Mott haven . Where is all this ballast being used on the Hudson line?</I>

I live in Beacon and there is some ongoing work on the Beacon Line. Over the past few years some dips have developed in the track on either side of the bridge that crosses over the Hudson Line at MP 58. They had a backhoe out the other day digging up the roadbed just east of the Hudson Line. This may just be some remedial work to keep the Beacon Line from further deterioration.

Larry, RedbirdR33
  by bigK

RedbirdR33 wrote:<I>Went round trip New Hamburg to GCT this weekend. Noticed hoppers full of ballast at a lot of sidings Beacon to Mott haven . Where is all this ballast being used on the Hudson line?</I>

I live in Beacon and there is some ongoing work on the Beacon Line. Over the past few years some dips have developed in the track on either side of the bridge that crosses over the Hudson Line at MP 58. They had a backhoe out the other day digging up the roadbed just east of the Hudson Line. This may just be some remedial work to keep the Beacon Line from further deterioration.

Larry, RedbirdR33
Larry - you live in Beacon??? I would guess you are not a member of Beaconcitizen.com - the work on the Beacon line is no doubt for the old tunnel under the BL track that was discovered late last year - this tunnel is being dug out to be used for the connector trail from Dennings Point and the Klara Sauer trail to the trail in Madam Brett park

for much more about this and some great pics of the tunnel and BL track please see the Hudson Valley Green post "long buried tunnel revealed"
http://thehudsonvalleygreen.com/2012/02 ... -revealed/
  by RedbirdR33

Big K: Thank you for the link and the information. I walk both of those trails frequently and wondered if there ever would be a way to connect them.

Larry, RedbirdR33
  by amm in ny

Tarrytown station update:

They finally finished demolishing the remains of the old platform between tracks 2 & 4.

I'm not sure when they plan to extend the new one northwards.

One difference betwen the old and the new (island = track 2-4) platforms: the new platform is several inches higher, so you have to step down to get onto the train and up to get off. This was obvious from when they put down the first slab. Does anyone know if they're planning to raise tracks 2 and 4? (The track 3 platform is level with the car floors.)

Last item: it looks like the PR department got ahead of the construction department. There have been posters for several months saying "look what we've done to the Tarrytown Station" (or words to that effect.) Given that they have at least 3-6 months more work before it's fully usable, let alone finished, the posters seem a bit premature.
  by RearOfSignal

amm in ny wrote:Last item: it looks like the PR department got ahead of the construction department. There have been posters for several months saying "look what we've done to the Tarrytown Station" (or words to that effect.) Given that they have at least 3-6 months more work before it's fully usable, let alone finished, the posters seem a bit premature.
No, the station and platform are two different projects, MNR owns the platform I believe Tarrytown owns the actual station. The picture on the MNR poster shows and speaks of the station building not the platforms.