• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matt Johnson

A park would be better than more housing and more congestion. Why not make life a little better for the people already living there, instead of always trying to squeeze in more people? I guess it's all about $$.
  by Matt Johnson

TREnecNYP wrote:They moved their manufacturing operations at that specific plant elsewhere
Let me guess, they outsourced work to India and laid off a bunch of folks here, and now they want to turn the site into more housing to bring more people into a state with fewer and fewer jobs!
  by TREnecNYP

transit383 wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:...their global HQ is still in new brunswick though, and can be seen from the station, it's that weird looking building that sits partially under the grounds and has the white/glass tower...
Its not "partially under the grounds", the NEC is elevated through New Brunswick and comes up to the 4th floor of the building. If you get off the train and look, you can see that the building is at street level.
Actually, if you look more closely, there is a below grade truck dock ramp leading to a level that sits under the grass on the right side headed east on the tracks. One time we were WWR (way wrong railing) on track one going west, i saw the roll up doors. The parking structure adjacent to track 4 is also J&J. Till recently it had solar panels that actually tracked the sun, i believe they are being replaced with newer panels.

I've said it before, but i think it warrants repeating, i've ridden the northeast corridor hundreds of times, i really have had a lot of time to observe the various goings on and what's outside the ROW.

- A
  by Patrick Boylan

How much do North Brunswick Transit Village passes cost? How long do they last? Will they only be good for trips from New York to North Brunswick, or can we buy them to get to North Brunswick from other stations?
  by TAMR213

This thread hurts my head...

In related news, what customers are active on the Delco and Millstone IT's? J&J has been gone for awhile, are there any customers south of there? Last time I was at Jersey Ave. it made me sad to see that the Delco IT looked as if it haden't been used in a VERY long time.
  by TREnecNYP

There are customers using that freight line, however i'm not sure if they use that end of it aside from parking stuff between moves. I forget the exact location, but there is a pretty busy section farther east that actually has 2 other tracks, one coming in from geographical west dead ending near the NEC embankment, and another one that sits behind the same structure in between the structure and the NEC. I have observed covered hoppers there, they do move and change in number, i am unsure what that track segment is used for though.

As for the facility itself that closed, no, it was simply outdated and its operations were spread out over the remaining production facilities in PA and NJ. The large amount of land also meant large amount of property taxes, so getting rid of it would have saved them a lot of money both operationally and tax wise.

- A
  by TAMR213

From what I can gather there really isn't much left on the Delco IT ever since J&J and Arm&Hammer shut down. Do the shippers on Black Horse Lane all the way at the end of the line still receive cars? Next time I'm down that way I'll have to take a look. It seems like this, and the industry that TRE mentions (possibly the factory near How Lane on Jersey Ave?) are the last remaining customers.

Also, what customers still ship on the Millstone IT? The sidings in Deans (to the businesses on Distribution Way)? Has anything further been done regarding the trash transfer facility that was proposed awhile back?
  by Nasadowsk

Transit village?

Of course - if there's anything this state has, it's a shortage of housing!

Why are they so hell bent on developing this area? Plow the J&J buildings over and make it a big park...
  by transit383

TREnecNYP wrote:Actually, if you look more closely, there is a below grade truck dock ramp leading to a level that sits under the grass on the right side headed east on the tracks. One time we were WWR (way wrong railing) on track one going west, i saw the roll up doors. The parking structure adjacent to track 4 is also J&J. Till recently it had solar panels that actually tracked the sun, i believe they are being replaced with newer panels.

I've said it before, but i think it warrants repeating, i've ridden the northeast corridor hundreds of times, i really have had a lot of time to observe the various goings on and what's outside the ROW.

- A
The building is at street level. Johnson Drive, which parallels NJ-18 is at a significantly lower elevation than George Street, one block over. There is access to the parking area from Johnson Drive and, from certain angles, it would appear that the building may be below ground. However, the main entrance and lobby are at street level (street being relative to NJ-27).

Looking out the window of the train and actually getting off and exploring the area are completely different. Take a stroll through downtown New Brunswick sometime... Its an entirely different kind of flying, altogether. Take it from someone who was born, raised, lives, and works in the area... you don't get an accurate representation of New Brunswick, or any city for that matter, by passing through on a train. Just sayin. [/rant]
  by E-44

Nasadowsk wrote:Transit village?

Of course - if there's anything this state has, it's a shortage of housing!

Why are they so hell bent on developing this area? Plow the J&J buildings over and make it a big park...
Because the middle class will soon be priced out of New Brunswick as DEVCO (J&J, Rutgers, UMDNJ, The Lynch/Cahill mob) plows under its next target - the fifth ward. So they'll literally build a market for themselves.

Because South Brunswick didn't want to cooperate on MOM and instead gets US1 widened so it can bus its commuters to the "new" station in North Brunswick.

Only agency not playing ball so far is NJT (at least not openly). Don't know if they've initiated talks with Amtrak yet about doing it. I hope North Brunswick is serious about making approval contingent upon actually getting permission and funding aid to build this station. Otherwise, it's just more car traffic on US1.
  by TREnecNYP

transit383 wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:Actually, if you look more closely, there is a below grade truck dock ramp leading to a level that sits under the grass on the right side headed east on the tracks. One time we were WWR (way wrong railing) on track one going west, i saw the roll up doors. The parking structure adjacent to track 4 is also J&J. Till recently it had solar panels that actually tracked the sun, i believe they are being replaced with newer panels.

- A
The building is at street level. Johnson Drive, which parallels NJ-18 is at a significantly lower elevation than George Street, one block over. There is access to the parking area from Johnson Drive and, from certain angles, it would appear that the building may be below ground. However, the main entrance and lobby are at street level (street being relative to NJ-27).

Looking out the window of the train and actually getting off and exploring the area are completely different. Take a stroll through downtown New Brunswick sometime... Its an entirely different kind of flying, altogether. Take it from someone who was born, raised, lives, and works in the area... you don't get an accurate representation of New Brunswick, or any city for that matter, by passing through on a train. Just sayin. [/rant]
I've walked through new brunswick many, many times, as i said my girlfriend went to rutgers, as did my mom, and she goes there for meetings a few times a month relating to her work with non-profit agency, every once in a while i hop on at new brunswick because i'll go with her to talk about stuff since her job is extremely demanding of her time. I guess you never noticed the large vent and access cover on the grassy area behind the wall.

Near the wikipedia "w" is the area i'm talking about, just above it is the access lane & gate area.

People really, really need to stop assuming so much about what i say, because as you can see from the 2 map photos i've posted in this thread i do know exactly what i'm talking about.

- A
  by cruiser939

E-44 wrote:Only agency not playing ball so far is NJT (at least not openly). Don't know if they've initiated talks with Amtrak yet about doing it. I hope North Brunswick is serious about making approval contingent upon actually getting permission and funding aid to build this station. Otherwise, it's just more car traffic on US1.
So now it's NJT responsibility to do North Brunswick's work for them? Let's get this straight again. Amtrak owns and dispatches the tracks. If a station gets built, it is because they approve of such a plan. North Brunswick should be petitioning them for the permission, not complaining that NJT isn't doing it.
  by cruiser939

TREnecNYP wrote:I've walked through new brunswick many, many times, as i said my girlfriend went to rutgers, as did my mom, and she goes there for meetings a few times a month relating to her work with non-profit agency, every once in a while i hop on at new brunswick because i'll go with her to talk about stuff since her job is extremely demanding of her time. I guess you never noticed the large vent and access cover on the grassy area behind the wall.
Why is it that you constantly feel the need to tell this forum that you have have a girlfriend? A search run with your username and the the keyword girlfriend returns 34 results (some of which I know are duplicates). I mean, it almost never adds any interest/validity to your stories so it just seems odd to me.
  by morris&essex4ever

cruiser939 wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:I've walked through new brunswick many, many times, as i said my girlfriend went to rutgers, as did my mom, and she goes there for meetings a few times a month relating to her work with non-profit agency, every once in a while i hop on at new brunswick because i'll go with her to talk about stuff since her job is extremely demanding of her time. I guess you never noticed the large vent and access cover on the grassy area behind the wall.
Why is it that you constantly feel the need to tell this forum that you have have a girlfriend? A search run with your username and the the keyword girlfriend returns 34 results (some of which I know are duplicates). I mean, it almost never adds any interest/validity to your stories so it just seems odd to me.
And you feel the need to look this stuff up?