• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

Any decision to build a station would also require Amtrak's approval.
  by TREnecNYP

I though this transit village idea was stupid, there's a massive open field, why can't they just leave it that way... And... a train station... Yea um with large spinning turd occupying space in trenton no funding will ever be given for a new station. Also, wouldnt such a station mess up trip times, and how do they propose dealing with the 40 mph freight branch and its spurs? Just seems half cocked and visionless. If something does get built, it better damn well get trolly/trackless trolly or electric bus integrated to serve the train station. Last thing we need is more autos.

- A
  by Roadgeek Adam

TREnecNYP wrote:I though this transit village idea was stupid, there's a massive open field, why can't they just leave it that way... And... a train station... Yea um with large spinning turd occupying space in trenton no funding will ever be given for a new station. Also, wouldnt such a station mess up trip times, and how do they propose dealing with the 40 mph freight branch and its spurs? Just seems half cocked and visionless. If something does get built, it better damn well get trolly/trackless trolly or electric bus integrated to serve the train station. Last thing we need is more autos.

- A
Field? The place is all old Johnson and Johnson stuff until recently. The buildings are still there. You should get your facts straight before being :| about it. As for the station, we can eliminate the Jersey Avenue Main stop and go New Brunswick -> Adams -> Princeton Jct.

Jersey Avenue already deals with the freight, I don't think its that bad. And we don't need electric buses. I prefer diesel buses.
  by TREnecNYP

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:I though this transit village idea was stupid, there's a massive open field, why can't they just leave it that way... And... a train station... Yea um with large spinning turd occupying space in trenton no funding will ever be given for a new station. Also, wouldnt such a station mess up trip times, and how do they propose dealing with the 40 mph freight branch and its spurs? Just seems half cocked and visionless. If something does get built, it better damn well get trolly/trackless trolly or electric bus integrated to serve the train station. Last thing we need is more autos.

- A
Field? The place is all old Johnson and Johnson stuff until recently. The buildings are still there. You should get your facts straight before being :| about it. As for the station, we can eliminate the Jersey Avenue Main stop and go New Brunswick -> Adams -> Princeton Jct.

Jersey Avenue already deals with the freight, I don't think its that bad. And we don't need electric buses. I prefer diesel buses.

Gee i think i see..... a field!!!!

Having ridden past this spot several hundred times i think i know what i'm talking about. And jersey ave does not have the same track alignment for the freight line as this site does, it would be directly in the way of access to the platforms. Maybe You should check YOUR facts, or just know what you're talking about to begin with. And yea, diesel costs money and is a pain to store. For short lil routes/circulator operation electric is the way to go.

- A
  by Roadgeek Adam

TREnecNYP wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:

- A

Gee i think i see..... a field!!!!

Having ridden past this spot several hundred times i think i know what i'm talking about. And jersey ave does not have the same track alignment for the freight line as this site does, it would be directly in the way of access to the platforms. Maybe You should check YOUR facts, or just know what you're talking about to begin with. And yea, diesel costs money and is a pain to store. For short lil routes/circulator operation electric is the way to go.
- A
So set it up as Bound Brook, which has freight surrounding its Newark-bound platform. I live in the area, I pass it constantly during the week and I know what's there. I remember when Johnson and Johnson was in there. There are buildings there, as of Friday. Nothing's changed in less than a week.
  by Matt Johnson

What happened to Johnson & Johnson? (Yeah, I'm out of the loop apparently - thought they were still active and a major employer!)

If it's abandoned, though, I guess it's better that they do something with it, rather than letting it become just another abandoned industrial site scarring the landscape. (NJ already has enough of those....every time I pass Avenel on the train I notice the old General Dynamics plant rotting away there. I wonder if that'll ever be cleaned up!)
  by TREnecNYP

They moved their manufacturing operations at that specific plant elsewhere, they have tons of facilities and locations in NJ and PA, their global HQ is still in new brunswick though, and can be seen from the station, it's that weird looking building that sits partially under the grounds and has the white/glass tower, they also occupy part of the old rutgers complex right along the river, it's that massive decorative brick building. And before anyone asks or questions how i know all this, the nonprofit my mom works for gets a 3rd of its funding from RWJ foundation and she knows many of the execs as several have rotated oversight board positions for said nonprofit agency, one was also a member of her church's congregation years ago. My girlfriend also attended rutgers and knows all about NB.

- A
  by transit383

Roadgeek Adam wrote:So set it up as Bound Brook, which has freight surrounding its Newark-bound platform. I live in the area, I pass it constantly during the week and I know what's there. I remember when Johnson and Johnson was in there. There are buildings there, as of Friday. Nothing's changed in less than a week.
The freight track, if necessary, could be relocated. A grade crossing could be installed for pedestrians accessing the westbound platform. But a tunnel or overpass is going to be necessary anyway for the eastbound platform, so this could span the freight track as well. Not a problem.
TREnecNYP wrote:...their global HQ is still in new brunswick though, and can be seen from the station, it's that weird looking building that sits partially under the grounds and has the white/glass tower...
Its not "partially under the grounds", the NEC is elevated through New Brunswick and comes up to the 4th floor of the building. If you get off the train and look, you can see that the building is at street level.
TREnecNYP wrote:...they also occupy part of the old rutgers complex right along the river, it's that massive decorative brick building. And before anyone asks or questions how i know all this...
You should know that the "massive decorative brick building" is formally named Johnson Hall and is part of the World Headquarters Campus.
  by cruiser939

I know that reminding you of generally accepted NJT forum doctrine of not bringing politics into our conversations is useless seeing as you constantly choose to attack the current governor of the state. But I should point out that no one here cares about you or your political leanings (one way or the other) and that bringing up the governor serves no purpose in this conversation.
  by trollyFoamer

cruiser939's wrong. I care about you and your political leanings. I don't reply much, and I don't always pay attention to the full userid, but it sure seems as if somebody whose userid begins with cruiser often makes statements about his own opinions and phrases them as if those are everybody's opinions.
  by nomis

I vote for cruiser ...

I sure wish i knew the difference between a open area of grass a plot of land that did or did not have a corporation that recently ceased operations yards away; or said impacts of development on said grass which could or could not have environmental contamination below it developed from manufacturing.
  by E-44

Beam me up Scotty. This place is getting weird.
  by TREnecNYP

Hehehe, you guise make me chuckle.

The cleared land is not contaminated, it's like that because grass is easier to care for than a large wooded area. My idea would be to make it a park.

- A
  by blockline4180

TREnecNYP wrote:Hehehe, you guise make me chuckle.

The cleared land is not contaminated, it's like that because grass is easier to care for than a large wooded area. My idea would be to make it a park.

- A

UGHHHH, Okay then!!