Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by NH2060

Considering that nobody died and the extent of the injuries weren't as severe as they could have been it's fair to say they did their job. Gov. Malloy (or Blumenthal?) himself said it.

And how it could have gotten worse is if the two trains had collided/derailed while crossing over the Fairfield Avenue bridge..

Now if they're making these recommendations, etc. why not include the M-7s as well with their truck design?
  by expbusop

5 car train lays over each day at HighBridge single car has big rust colored stain on equipment housing on roof and on part of roof itself. What could cause that on such new equipment. Also yesterday (Thurs) Hudson line local to Croton had M-8's I think 5 cars stopped at Morris Heights at 5:55am.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

expbusop wrote:5 car train lays over each day at HighBridge single car has big rust colored stain on equipment housing on roof and on part of roof itself. What could cause that on such new equipment. Also yesterday (Thurs) Hudson line local to Croton had M-8's I think 5 cars stopped at Morris Heights at 5:55am.
Most likely culprit: sitting for a period of 10 minutes to several hours under a bridge that was dripping melting snow off its girders. "Rust shower."

It's mid-winter. Everyone starts looking like they need a trip to the car wash sooner or later.
  by DutchRailnut

update : http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:update : http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems like all pairs are accepted now.
  by gregorygrice

4 new S cars were delivered last night to New Haven from Harmon Yard.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxoz4tYJda8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by DutchRailnut

last 6 S cars made it to Selkirk last night so should be in Harmon soon.
  by keyboardkat

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Railnut, well before your time, and likely anyone else save Messrs. Nelligan and Weaver, I can well recall the New Haven's 4000 and 4200 motor and trailer MU's. Given a choice, why anyone would sit in a motor unit escapes me.

However, I never had issue with the 4400's and beyond - including my "maiden voyage" in an M-8 last August, with regards to noise or vibration. I fail to see how there will be a "land rush" to these non-powered units.
'Cause we like the feeling of power in a motor car! :-)
  by Fan Railer

keyboardkat wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Railnut, well before your time, and likely anyone else save Messrs. Nelligan and Weaver, I can well recall the New Haven's 4000 and 4200 motor and trailer MU's. Given a choice, why anyone would sit in a motor unit escapes me.

However, I never had issue with the 4400's and beyond - including my "maiden voyage" in an M-8 last August, with regards to noise or vibration. I fail to see how there will be a "land rush" to these non-powered units.
'Cause we like the feeling of power in a motor car! :-)
Not to mention the propulsion sounds. Silence is boring :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

as for those old NH trailers we try to replicate the sound on our Bombardier Push pull cars just for them old folk...
  by Train2009

9283,9282,9331,9330,9315,9314,9393,9392 cars were seen in Philipse Manor this morning at 11:07 AM as it was deadheaded down south from Harmon.
  by DutchRailnut

M-8 update : http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/newM8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Train2009

Single car #9466 was on the 3rd Yankee Clipper train #7527 from New Haven, CT - Union Station to Yankees - East 153 Street as it went by late this morning in Pelham.
  by Train2009

Last night train #6551 had single car #9470 on the trainset and was seen in Mount Vernon.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Train2009 wrote:Single car #9466 was on the 3rd Yankee Clipper train #7527 from New Haven, CT - Union Station to Yankees - East 153 Street as it went by late this morning in Pelham.
Mr. Train, off topic, but I must wonder which Metro North had in mind when they dreamed up the name for this service - Joe DiMaggio or the New Haven's train? :-D