Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#236966  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Has anyone seen an artist rendition of what the proposed M-8 cars will look like? If so, would love to see it.

Mod Note: Topic Shut down since all cars are accepted. New spliter threads have opened up for overlaying M8 topics ...

M-8 Bar Cars: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=157132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M-8 Bicycle Cars: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=160047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M-8's on the SLE: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=157224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by nomis on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am, edited 6 times in total. Reason: edited for clarity before locking thread.

#237003  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Thanks Otto for that insightfull look at the M-8's. Thought that's what the M-7's were supposed to look like. Which one's the bar car?

#237013  by MNConductor

There was an artist's renditioning of the M-8 in this month's "On Track" newsletter for MN employees... The front looks pretty much the same, except instead of having the top headlights horizontally, they're vertical, like the headlights on the F-10. Other than that the side looks like an M-7 with the hump on the top just like the M-2s.

#237046  by DutchRailnut

Ok here is the M-8 design , a modified M-7 by Cesar Vergara, same industrial designer that worked on Acela, Genesis, Pl42ac etc.

#237059  by Dieter

It resembles a PATH train from the front. I wonder if they're going to make the gap between the seats one inch less than on the M-7's?

Any work on the Bar Car design yet?

Dieter/

#237061  by DutchRailnut

The cars would be about 4" wider than the M-7's but seat pitch would be same.
A preliminairy design for 24 bar cars was made, with BAR in big letters on outside. The Bar cars won't arrive till 3th batch of cars.

#237159  by Dieter

That's too bad that the seat pitch will be the same. I imagine they won't make different seats, as it's cheaper just to crank out more seats in the same design as the M-7's.

That extra 4" in width will probably go to the aisle, which is too bad as an extra inch between each passenger wouldn't hurt. Then again, it will be easier to pass someone in the aisle.

I hope nobody sees the BAR letters and thinks it's a BANGOR AND AROOSTOOK train, lest "The passengers become confused"! :wink:

Dieter/

#237164  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Thanks Dutch for the images. Interesting shots. Why put destination signs on the front of the car? On the sides is sufficient. Who's going to be able to read them? Looks like the're returning to an illuminated car number board. Thanks again.

#237244  by benltrain

DutchRailnut wrote:The cars would be about 4" wider than the M-7's but seat pitch would be same.
A preliminairy design for 24 bar cars was made, with BAR in big letters on outside. The Bar cars won't arrive till 3th batch of cars.
How can the cars be wider without hitting the platforms?
I wonder how the bars will be different
What else will be different? Any improvements on the M7 or will they be pretty much the same (like m2 and m1)?

I take it we won't see any m2/4/6/8 consists?

Who do we appreciate? :wink:

#237382  by DutchRailnut

The M-7's were designed by the LIRR and are narrower than the M1/M3.
The M-8 is not restricted toi same clearances as the LIRR M-7's so they can be ordered wider.
As far as BAR , the Bangor and Aroostock is long gone and most drinkers are no railfans.

As far as Dieters assumptions do you ever see the glass as half full ????
The aisle on the M7's is wider than M3 for ADA , it is possible to move a wheelchair from A end vestibule to B end vestiibule and or to Other cars. the M-8's will have same size aisle but bigger seats.

#237385  by benltrain

DutchRailnut wrote:The M-7's were designed by the LIRR and are narrower than the M1/M3.
The M-8 is not restricted toi same clearances as the LIRR M-7's so they can be ordered wider.
As far as BAR , the Bangor and Aroostock is long gone and most drinkers are no railfans.

As far as Dieters assumptions do you ever see the glass as half full ????
The aisle on the M7's is wider than M3 for ADA , it is possible to move a wheelchair from A end vestibule to B end vestiibule and or to Other cars. the M-8's will have same size aisle but bigger seats.
ok, want to get technichal? I mean M7a's. HAPPY???

when you say narrower, at what point are they being measured?

#237404  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Hudson and Harlem gets LIRR designed cars again. Take it or leave it. No focus groups for them. NH gets custom designed cars, so what else is new. We get basically LIRR off the shelf, hand me downs, just as we did with the M-1's and 3's. But they're better than these M-7's. Those seats are the biggest jokes. They're worse than those seats on the R-62 and R-68 subway cars.

#237415  by benltrain

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:Hudson and Harlem gets LIRR designed cars again. Take it or leave it. No focus groups for them. NH gets custom designed cars, so what else is new. We get basically LIRR off the shelf, hand me downs, just as we did with the M-1's and 3's. But they're better than these M-7's. Those seats are the biggest jokes. They're worse than those seats on the R-62 and R-68 subway cars.
Ok, i will put it very simply... how (and i don't mean this sarcastically) are the measurements off the M8s and M7s and M3s different when they ALL will have to platform at the SAME Harlem 125th street and GCT stations?

#237417  by Kurt

I never understood why the M7a was narrower than the M1/M3. If the M1/M3 fit on LIRR now, what was the reasoning for ordering the M7 in a narrower configuration.

As for the aisles, I think they are only ADA compliant near the restrooms, not the full length of the aisle. The middle of the car seems to narrow to fit a wheelchair.