• LIRR Engineer Threatens to Call Police On Me

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

Most of these laws you quote are moot as there is no state of war . since we did not declare war on anyone (nation).

by SeldenJrFireman

Most reciently under Homeland Security:

USC Title 6 - Domestic Security
Chapter I - Homeland Security Organization
Subchapter II Informational Analysis & Infastructure Protection
Part B Critical Infastructure Information

Under this law the Director of Homeland Security has established the Long Island Railroad a "Critical Infastructure" in November 2003.

This designation only duplicated the restrictions imposed in the meeting of the Transportation Security Oversignt Board, February 2002 as established by

USC Title 49
Subchapter I - Department of Transportation
Chapter 1 - Organization
Sec 115 - Transportation Security Oversight Board

Now these restrictions are nothing new. Traditionally, (at lease since WWII days,) Title 50 was applied against photographers.

USC Title 50 - War and National Defense
Chapter 4A - Photographing, sketching, Mapping etc Defensive Installations.

While major parts of this law were repealed in 1948, those restricting photographing were not. Much case law established Transit Systems, Railroads, etc as "defense installations," extending these restrictions to them. After the recient decisions under Title 6, there now stand a myrid of federal laws under which a photographer of railroad installations can be prosecuted.
Unless the new M7's are packing some sort of artillary, and there's a bunker under Ronkonkoma yard, that doesn't mean you know what to me!

Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like it only applied to troop trains a real long time ago?

by Clemuel

Dutch & JrFireman --

Why'd you ask? Better yet, why'd I answer?

Clem
Last edited by Clemuel on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JoeLIRR

"Those who know me know where I stand on laws of this nature. I think they fly in the face of the Fourth Amendment. It is shameful that our legislators have virtually abandoned the Constitution of The Republic. "

Clem,

I totally Agree. To be streight foward no matter what laws Bush or any other home land defence try to make, if some low life a hole wanted to do somthing that indivisual will find a way. all these laws do is harass the real american wanting to enjoy his rights if whats said to be "the land of the free and home of the brave"

4 planes get hijacked and america cant move on, its a shame it happened, and i feel bad to thoes directly effected, but we cant just dwell on 9-11. every where we go thats all i here n see, 9-11 this- 9-11 that, its everywhere, you dont see D-Day every where, nor Pearl harbor.
Dec 7, is the only time u here about pearl harbor, and its honred w/ a halfstafed flag. yes im relating it to 60+ years ago but still.
its sickning after a while to keep hering it. and agan my condloences goes out to thoes directly effected.

by Peanuts

Personally, when I enter a station I get leary of people taking pictures. Honesttly, did you ever think that maybe Mineola, Woodside, Hicksville, Jamaica, Penn Station, all the hot spots where there is alot of train movement, they might be a bad spot to take pictures.
Also, sometimes maybe railfans should just walk away from confontation, and just come back after the train that questioned you departs? You seem to forget, 2 wrongs dont make a right.
Also, as an egineer, I have no problem with railfans. If my door is open, if you are respectful, dont hassle me with a billion questions, I might talk to you. If I am in a good mood. But, honestly, taking piictures on a major platform is a bad idea. I guess thats what I am trying to say!
  by VDYard

I remember when the MTA Police accidently stumbled on that bunch of Iranians in Brooklyn who were planning to bomb Flatbush Avenue Station. They went up to their mosk on Atlantic AVenue and found hundreds of pictures of the Long Island Railroad... mostly of trainmen sleeping in three-seaters. Then the UTU union went on a "no photograph" crackdown because they were afraid if the story ever got out lots of their jobs would be cut. As it is the cuts are coming, but probably have nothing to do with the terririst pics.

by Guest

vd they told us in trainin not to sleep where the people can see u. i dont know how people could take pics of us sleeping cause i only sleep in the cab and i hang my coat up so know one can see me. training said the cuts were coming in the summer. i just dont see how they can have less of us on a train.
  by BMC

I sympathize with those who want to take pictures, but again post 9/11 and post Madrid train station extra precautions must be taken. what was the first question asked when the California incident occured?

None of us want to be the one that did not call it in when we are being told to.

by LIRailfan79

xxxx
Last edited by LIRailfan79 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jeffrey Rosen

Right on point88:
To report the engineer (if he was the engineer) or a cop for just doing their jobs is being nothing but a rat. Before I retired from the NYPD I loved to summons the s--t out of people who reported cops to CCRB. (And of course before people started carrying camcorders a tune up with a nightstick or a flashlight was even better than a summons)

by DutchRailnut

Right on Jeffrey lets take away the evidence gathering tools and lets start Nazi or KGB tactics, you must have been one hell of a cop.
Ausweis bitte und nicht Fotograferen.

by utubrother

vdyard said
They went up to their mosk on Atlantic AVenue and found hundreds of pictures of the Long Island Railroad... mostly of trainmen sleeping in three-seaters. Then the UTU union went on a "no photograph" crackdown because they were afraid if the story ever got out lots of their jobs would be cut. As it is the cuts are coming, but probably have nothing to do with the terririst pics.
these trainmen photographed sleeping in a three seater were more likely "dead heading" to or from work not unlike many of the commuters using the system. The UTU would not be bothered by this at all.
And from recent acts of inaction would surely not pick a fight on this battle.
how less are we entitled to get a nap in or out of work than the rest of the ridership of the LIRR?
It seams to be a GREAT misconception that we just hop on a train and start duty.
Most of us have to start at west end terminals to begin the day
so we sleep, read, whatever just like anyone else going to work
The rules only say we cannot assume a position of sleep when ON duty.
If there are no more seats and you see a uniform sleeping in a Three seater. wake him and he will share

by mark777

I personally have slept many times on-board, but I only do this while I'm on a big break, such as a 1hour or more turn-around, or while dead heading to and from work. I never sleep while I'm on duty, not in the cab, and certainly not in a dead head car. If you see someone sleeping, I'm almost sure that they are not on duty. I even shut off the lights so that no-one can look into the car and see me sleeping. The rules only apply to while you are on duty. I would have to be deathly ill to be sleeping while I'm suppose to be working.

Back to the point, there are just too many people out there who are very concerned about someone taking pictures on station platforms, and thats something to take into consideration when you look at what was done last year in Madrid. That can be done so easily here in NY, it's only a matter of time before these nut jobs exploit this weakness in our system. So in short, yes people should be questioned. I firmly believe that cops have a right to come up to you and inquire to your reason to taking pictures of trains. Then after he checks up on your story and information, he should walk away and let you be. But forcing people to leave I don't think is justified. One interesting thing to note is that when I was a child, my Grandmother use to regularly take me to GCT to watch the trains come and go. One day however, they put a stop to it and told us that we weren't allowed in there unless we were taking a train. This was many years ago, early to mid 80's at best, so things may not have changed much even after post 9/11. We all just have to understand the circumstances in todays times and the people out there who mean us harm. It would be just simple to check anyone who is photographing trains, check up on them, and then let them be. Things would be a lot easier for all of us.

by Guest

hi guys. i wasnt talkin about sleeping while i was deadheading. i was talkin about after i make my ticket lift then catching a nap in the cab. sorry if u misunderstood me. ill be more clear the next time.

by bluebelly

La-Qwanda wrote:hi guys. i wasnt talkin about sleeping while i was deadheading. i was talkin about after i make my ticket lift then catching a nap in the cab. sorry if u misunderstood me. ill be more clear the next time.
Idiot