Railroad Forums 

• Comet 1 Set Back on the Rails...again...for now...!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1220890  by SEPTA2461

Per a tip courtesy of Lee King, SEPTA 2460 was leading with its companions and AEM-7 2301 past Overbrook at 1300 hours. I don't know whether for training or to supplement service for hurricane time. But the video will be up later.
 #1220902  by Limited-Clear

It is only a training run, more crews are getting qualified just incase they need to use them again, they are still considered stored serviceable, ready to be used when needed/if needed
 #1220929  by SEPTA2461

Limited-Clear wrote:It is only a training run, more crews are getting qualified just incase they need to use them again, they are still considered stored serviceable, ready to be used when needed/if needed
What are the odds of that? I know the holidays are coming, but they have plenty of cars at this rate.
 #1220945  by 60 Car

SEPTA2461 wrote:What are the odds of that? I know the holidays are coming, but they have plenty of cars at this rate.
Amazing.
If trips were dropped because of some unforeseen car shortage and the Comets were not put into service because crew were not qualified, you would be trumpeting yet another example of SEPTA's massive incompetence.
Way to go negative Nancy.
 #1220951  by SEPTA2461

60 Car wrote:
SEPTA2461 wrote:What are the odds of that? I know the holidays are coming, but they have plenty of cars at this rate.
Amazing.
If trips were dropped because of some unforeseen car shortage and the Comets were not put into service because crew were not qualified, you would be trumpeting yet another example of SEPTA's massive incompetence.
Way to go negative Nancy.
I'm simply saying that these are 40-45 year old railcars which are very temperamental. If they suffered so much in their last month on the rails, wouldn't their old problems catch up to them again if they were returned to service again, even for a week? I hope you see where I'm coming from.
 #1221052  by blockline4180

Heres a positive spin on things....... Since crews are again training on them that tells me they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!!!!

I'm sorry, but I DISAGREE with your assessment SEPTA2461, that they won't be used anymore!
 #1221205  by SEPTA2461

blockline4180 wrote:Heres a positive spin on things....... Since crews are again training on them that tells me they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!!!!

I'm sorry, but I DISAGREE with your assessment SEPTA2461, that they won't be used anymore!
I guess some things only SEPTA can know.
 #1221235  by Limited-Clear

Not everyone will ever agree, in someone's eyes Septa will be wrong whatever they do, some say the comets won't be used and thus crews shouldn't be trained on them (will these people then complain that the comets are just sitting there and could be used if they had trained crews when they have a car shortage?), others say the crews should be trained and it's a good idea to actually be ready for something happening, so the question to be asked is whether septa is throwing money away, it costs money now to train the crews, but is it cheaper to be ready and run a train with the comets, or save the expense and cancel the train and get rid of the spare train set altogether? (Resulting in more trains with short cars and or service disruption due to cancelled trains, I am aware a certain extent of that happens now)
 #1221275  by Limited-Clear

The latest I have heard is that they may be back on the railroad as early as next week, quite possibly on the West Trenton trains again, will try to find out more.
 #1221463  by glennk419

SEPTA2461 wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:The latest I have heard is that they may be back on the railroad as early as next week, quite possibly on the West Trenton trains again, will try to find out more.
Here's to hope. Viva los Comets!
If that's the case, then get your afternoon shots now while there's still daylight!
 #1221472  by SEPTA2461

glennk419 wrote:
SEPTA2461 wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:The latest I have heard is that they may be back on the railroad as early as next week, quite possibly on the West Trenton trains again, will try to find out more.
Here's to hope. Viva los Comets!
If that's the case, then get your afternoon shots now while there's still daylight!
Anyone know how many days they're expected to serve?
 #1221508  by Clearfield

Limited-Clear wrote:Ummm, all of them.....
:-D