• Comet 1 Set Back on the Rails...again...for now...!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by blockline4180

Okay, so what are the trains they are assigned to today and this week???

Thanks!
  by SEPTA2461

blockline4180 wrote:Okay, so what are the trains they are assigned to today and this week???

Thanks!
Probably gonna resume its spot on West Trenton express run 6374.
  by NH2060

Aha! I wondered what happened to them :-P I thought the patch job with the black NJT window band looked better than the grey window band with red/SEPTA logo/blue/SEPTA logo/red stripe.
  by SEPTA2461

There's one last thing that's really bugging me: what improvements has SEPTA made to these cars to restore them to service?
  by khecht

SEPTA2461 wrote:There's one last thing that's really bugging me: what improvements has SEPTA made to these cars to restore them to service?
... and why did they? Are a lot of Silverliners out of service? With the completion of SL V deliveries, didn't we hear that there was now enough capacity to not need the unique (in SEPTA's fleet) Comet I's and their associated additional maintenance expense?
  by Limited-Clear

There is a high shop count of various cars, the comets were stored serviceable, they were not out for mods or improvements, it is now necessary to push them back in service, the SL Vs are also being cycled through for a mod that is increasing the shop count.
  by South Jersey Budd

The Comets needed to have the PA / intercom system updated to comply with new FRA regs. I don't know if they received any other upgrades. SEPTA had a high shop count the last few weeks and is experiencing high passenger counts on some trains. I heard the comets will be used as protects on days when SEPTA is short cars so other trains could go out with the proper number of cars. They are still not cleared for passenger service over AMTRAK lines due to the direct release / electric brake issue.

I remember conductors telling me the doors also needed upgrade because the doors could be trainlined open at all speeds. I'm not sure if that is a FRA defect though.
  by Quinn

Limited-Clear wrote: the SL Vs are also being cycled through for a mod that is increasing the shop count.
What are they changing?
  by Limited-Clear

The flooring is being changed, I don't know why, I was on 878 yesterday and it had brand new blue floors, I heard they are all going in for this change