Railroad Forums 

• Amfleet Disposition Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1631307  by eolesen

Nah, they have a leader. The problem is you had a few old timers who thought party rank and seniority is how the speaker job should be assigned, and that isn't how the game is played now....

But you're right there won't be more funding.
 #1631339  by John_Perkowski

Let’s add in next year is a Presidential election year. Not a single substantive piece of legislation will leave Capitol Hill for the White House. I’m not sure this won’t be the year of the full year continuing resolution.
 #1633641  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:24 am As noted over here, will there be a home for (presumably by maybe 2033) surplus Amfleets?
History could very well repeat itself and they wind up in Mexico...
 #1633683  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:24 am As noted over here, will there be a home for (presumably by maybe 2033) surplus Amfleets?
Putting aside any comments on Mexico national rail service... I really doubt 10 years later the Amfleets will end up there. Given the Airo train set plans as we know them... and the delays on the Acela II's... and the expansion plans...

I'm going to say most of the Amfleets will be used for expansion service for some time until they replace them with more Airo units, and only on day-trip service. The shop queens and worst-of-the-worst get scrapped. I'd think maybe 2035-2040 would be when they'll head down south, if ever.
 #1633938  by John_Perkowski

Just to point out…

The HW Pullmans sold to Mexico were 25-35 years old when sold.

The Streamliner era cars sold by the railroads and Amtrak to Mexico were as young as 15 years old, but were generally 30-35 years old depending on when the railroads acquired them and resold them, or when Amtrak sold off the Budd Heritage Fleet.

THE YOUNGEST AMFLEET II CAR EVER BUILT IS 40 YEARS, 5 MONTHS OLD AS I WRITE THIS.

Does anyone really think the Mexican railroads are going to want minimally maintained razor blade candidates?
 #1633962  by eolesen

Well.... what else are they going to find on the second-hand market? I don't see the Mexican government suddenly ordering new from Siemens or Alstom...
 #1633972  by ExCon90

It certainly looks as though there are plenty of cars being retired in Europe that are younger than Amfleets, and better maintained. Nightjet can't need all of them.
 #1638662  by USRailFan

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:19 pm Their last equipment order was new. Also, they can buy secondhand from Europe.
Tren Maya in Mexico are purchasing nearly 50 year old HSTs from the UK. I think they've gotten a small number of Amfleets + at least one SD70M as well?