• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Cadet57

hi55us wrote:Are their any plans for the train after the grand tour? Perhaps a permanent placement in NYP :)
Yeah and tow it out every morning and afternoon during rush hour ;)
  by EricL

Of course the most sensible thing would be to return the "display cars" to baggage service, and put the 406 into NPCU service.

But since that's sensible, Amtrak will probably do something else.
  by strench707

I wouldn't think the baggage cars would be put back into service unless they wanted to retire some of their crappier baggage cars. The baggage cars selected for the train were retired cars that they reactivated so when producing the exhibit train they didn't take from the active fleet. I think it would be much nicer if they found a permanent home for the display cars and left it at that. The cafe, and engines would definitely return to service, considering for example you wouldn't put a freshly TIGER rebuilt P40DC into a museum after a year or two.

Davis
  by Tadman

Because the rolling stock is in such good shape (IE able to operate on a class I with no probs) it would be a great exhibit to put on 6-month rotating loan to the bigger museums, IE IRM, Green Bay, Danbury, Rail Museum of PA, Cali State Rail Museum, et al... Every six months the set gets shunted off to new home at an accredited and established railroad museum.

Also worth noting - INRD has a similar train for Indiana history. This photo from Senate Avenue Yard, Indianapolis, May 2009.
  by andre

Tadman wrote:Because the rolling stock is in such good shape (IE able to operate on a class I with no probs) it would be a great exhibit to put on 6-month rotating loan to the bigger museums, IE IRM, Green Bay, Danbury, Rail Museum of PA, Cali State Rail Museum, et al... Every six months the set gets shunted off to new home at an accredited and established railroad museum.

Also worth noting - INRD has a similar train for Indiana history. This photo from Senate Avenue Yard, Indianapolis, May 2009.

Is the boxcar in the photo here one of amtraks former MHC cars
  by MACTRAXX

Andre: Yes-that's a former Amtrak MHC boxcar...

Tadman: That is really a good idea-make the Amtrak 40th Anniversary Train available to rail museums that will place the train set on exhibit for a set time at each location...

MACTRAXX
  by CSX Conductor

On a very sad note: supposedly the train got tagged by vandals earlier in the week while it was stored in the MofW base at Pawtucket,RI. I haven't seen for myself yet, but I'm pretty sure it did because there's been alot of buzz around the railroad that it has.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX Conductor wrote:On a very sad note: supposedly the train got tagged by vandals earlier in the week while it was stored in the MofW base at Pawtucket,RI. I haven't seen for myself yet, but I'm pretty sure it did because there's been alot of buzz around the railroad that it has.
unfortuantely, that is a true statement. I spoke to an Amtrak police officer after work Friday night, and he said that they did indeed tag it in the MOW base, but luckily, they caught the vandals commiting the crime rite after they started and were able to wash it off. I saw the train today in Providence, no sign of the tagging on the equipment...now there are 2 Amtrak police officers babysitting the train 24/7
  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:but luckily, they caught the vandals commiting the crime rite after they started and were able to wash it off.
I hope they didn't give these punks just a slap on the wrist.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX Conductor wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:but luckily, they caught the vandals commiting the crime rite after they started and were able to wash it off.
I hope they didn't give these punks just a slap on the wrist.
sorry, my bad, that came out funny....they didn't catch them, they chased them and the punks got away....they witnessed them commiting the crime, then gave chase, they saw them shortly after they started tagging and were able to clean the equipment
  by MEC407

I'll be visiting the train in Freeport on Saturday. Hope to see some fellow RAILROAD.NETers there!
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I went this past Sunday, here in Boston. It was great to see the hard work everyone has done.

Here are a few lousy photos I was able to take. I would love to blame the weather, but it was the camera operator. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59189026@N ... 377098906/
  by CSX Conductor

Fortunately it was much bettter opportunity to get pics of the locomotives in Boston compared to the Christmas Carol train a few years ago. It made a big difference having the train facing the terminal because the locos weren't under the bus shelter. Of course, this was only done so that the locos could be put on ground power.